Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After we Die survive the Soviet-Afghan war, what shall we fight next... (suggestions welcome!)

Korean war(50's)
- 2 (16.7%)
Vietnam war(63-72) *63 start = US Advisory program, ARVN focused game. US suppt.
- 0 (0%)
Gulf war 1(1991)
- 1 (8.3%)
Gulf war 2
- 0 (0%)
One of Israel's many wars (1948, '56, '67, '73, '82, '87, 2000, '06, '08)
- 4 (33.3%)
Somalia(Special operations, 1993)
- 1 (8.3%)
Pakistan's anti-Taleban sweep(Swat valley, 2010)
- 0 (0%)
US/UK in Afghanistan
- 2 (16.7%)
Second Chechen War (1999)
- 2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Let's fight the Mujahadeen together!  (Read 13533 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's fight the Mujahadeen together!
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 01:24:25 pm »

How much attrition can we take in general? Does the game reward individual unit survival or is it just the same if we lose an MBT/rifle platoon over the course of a single mission?
You mentioned 'core' units which makes me think this works like Panzer General 2. In it your 'core' troops stayed from mission to mission and accumulated experience that made them more powerful and didn't get diluted even if the unit lost three quarters of its strength in a single mission. That obviously made preserving your core troops a high priority.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 01:30:10 pm »

How much attrition can we take in general? Does the game reward individual unit survival or is it just the same if we lose an MBT/rifle platoon over the course of a single mission?
You mentioned 'core' units which makes me think this works like Panzer General 2. In it your 'core' troops stayed from mission to mission and accumulated experience that made them more powerful and didn't get diluted even if the unit lost three quarters of its strength in a single mission. That obviously made preserving your core troops a high priority.

Correct about core units. I believe we get around 300-400pts units after each mission depending on success/failure to refit, expand and repair our forces.
I'm confident we can replace any minor losses, but loosing a Hind could be a big problem(it cost about 200pts). Also any gathered experience from missions will be lost if a unit is killed, so. Another negative.

So yeah, zerging is generally ill advised.

Speaking of hind, next time ill get a ammo cache, so we can rearm the hind in combat an continue to use its awesome rockets and 127mm mg.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 01:39:33 pm »

I am learning myself how to play this awesome game right now
Its US against Iraq ,and i'm doing quite well.I lost a apache but most Iraqi tanks are blown up.
Also on topic:I am for rearming

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 01:42:55 pm »

I am learning myself how to play this awesome game right now

It's fairly easy to learn, but there's alot of little things that arent made plain.

Like ammo depots.
The bunkers give ammo to units surrounding it, the caches give ammo to units in the same hex. I think ammo trucks give ammo to all hexes around it.

We really dont have a good combat force, it reminds me of vietnam, were only really surviving due to masses of artillery and skilled soldiers. Their infantry must outnumber us about 10-1.

Theres also a WW2 version for anyone interested, also fun.
*Put a link to the game on the OP for anyone interested.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:45:37 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 01:50:00 pm »

Err the link's bugged.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 02:00:45 pm »

Sounds a lot like PG2. I mean a lot. Was a good game too.

As for our force make up: I don't think we should go too heavy on infantry. Obviously enough to hold objectives, but when compared to Mujahadeen, we have the edge in Armour and Artillery. I suggest we use that edge. At least once we get better tanks and APC's (I'm assuming there's progression similar to PG2, which went from Panzer I's and II's to IV's and V's). A heavily mechanized force with good fire support and recon to spot AT units early should strike swift fear into the hearts of our enemies.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 02:08:27 pm »

Sounds a lot like PG2. I mean a lot. Was a good game too.

As for our force make up: I don't think we should go too heavy on infantry. Obviously enough to hold objectives, but when compared to Mujahadeen, we have the edge in Armour and Artillery. I suggest we use that edge. At least once we get better tanks and APC's (I'm assuming there's progression similar to PG2, which went from Panzer I's and II's to IV's and V's). A heavily mechanized force with good fire support and recon to spot AT units early should strike swift fear into the hearts of our enemies.

Agree, weve got awesome scout and fire support capabilities, we just need some motor infantry to back it up. Theyre cheap as piss anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.
As for progression, its 1979-88, so... T-80's? maybe? not a great deal of progression, but i'm sure we'll get some upgraded bmps, some better arty and airforces I guess.

*checked the encyclopaedia, we get plenty of upgrades to T72's and T74's, T80's will come towards the end. BMP 2's come in 1980 too. So we have a bunch of new stuff as it progresses. Also I spotted a better Forward Observer we should get, with Rangefinder and such.

Err the link's bugged.

Fixed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:14:48 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 02:10:41 pm »

I still can't see any WW2  game of that :(.
Is it a mod or wat ?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 02:24:20 pm »

Agreed that running a lot of infantry is playing to the Mujahadeen's strengths. That said, if we rely on our artillery and vehicles to stave off waves of infantry, and they go down.....things will probably get ugly very fast. Historically the Stinger is what finally forced the Russians to withdraw, because it was the only way they'd engage the Mujahadeen toward the end.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 02:26:04 pm »

Agreed that running a lot of infantry is playing to the Mujahadeen's strengths. That said, if we rely on our artillery and vehicles to stave off waves of infantry, and they go down.....things will probably get ugly very fast. Historically the Stinger is what finally forced the Russians to withdraw, because it was the only way they'd engage the Mujahadeen toward the end.

As we go through I'll try to increase the size of maps(for  more need for motorised forces and air) and we will slowely expand the airmobile forces. To try and be historical.
*also means we need air, also means scumbag Stingers will be a real threat.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 02:28:10 pm »

Also I spotted a better Forward Observer we should get, with Rangefinder and such.

Rangefinders are for noobs  :P All you need is a map and some spatial skills. Maybe a radio if you're in a hurry.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 02:30:19 pm »

Also I spotted a better Forward Observer we should get, with Rangefinder and such.

Rangefinders are for noobs  :P All you need is a map and some spatial skills. Maybe a radio if you're in a hurry.

You wont be saying that when youre up to your ass in Mujahadeen.. again....

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 02:37:16 pm »

I'd like to make my own LP of the WW2 one :D.
We also need to get more serious infantry firepower

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 02:41:05 pm »

I'd like to make my own LP of the WW2 one :D.
We also need to get more serious infantry firepower

Doeeetttt
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5