Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191936 times)

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #705 on: March 08, 2013, 06:02:45 am »

to be honest, if it didn't have online-always DRM I might have actually bought it-- but requiring an internet connection to play a single player game is fucking stupid, excuse my french. Absolutely hate online-always DRM, it ruined one of the phantasy star universe games for me (well, PSU ruined PSO for me but that's another matter) not to mention SC2, although in SC2's case I can relent-- it's mostly designed to be a multiplayer anyway.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 08, 2013, 06:57:31 am »

... PSU ... PSO ... SC2 ...

Abbreviating Starcraft in a Sim City thread can be a bit misleading. ;) I still havn't figured out what PSU or PSO could be.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 08, 2013, 07:18:09 am »

I can't for the life of me figure out why they have 7 servers for Europe but only 4 for North America. And where do they want China to play?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #708 on: March 08, 2013, 07:24:32 am »

... PSU ... PSO ... SC2 ...

Abbreviating Starcraft in a Sim City thread can be a bit misleading. ;) I still havn't figured out what PSU or PSO could be.
Presumably Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Online, considering Phantasy Star Universe is mentioned in the previous sentence :P

Also posting to watch.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 08, 2013, 07:33:53 am »

I can't for the life of me figure out why they have 7 servers for Europe but only 4 for North America. And where do they want China to play?

You'll probably find it's divided along the lines of different European languages.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 08, 2013, 08:44:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 08, 2013, 09:06:44 am »

You'll probably find it's divided along the lines of different European languages.

Indeed, there's nothing saying that the servers themselves are identical sizes.

what i find odd is that they haven't made the cities global across all servers.
Magma is overrated.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 08, 2013, 09:34:12 am »

How is it running today? I ask because I'm itching to buy it, but I don't want the frustrations.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 08, 2013, 09:52:02 am »

How is it running today? I ask because I'm itching to buy it, but I don't want the frustrations.
It is still a frustrating mess to play. Trolling is easy and difficult to undo. You might lose your save. You end up with an unplayable region. Is amazon even selling it? They stopped for awhile. Can't check from my mobile.
Just donate that money to Toady. Stop encouraging bad companies.

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 08, 2013, 09:55:08 am »

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 08, 2013, 09:57:12 am »

Well, after a while of intermittent 'servers down, trying to reconnect' and 'network down, check internet connection', the game finally booted me back to the title screen.

Amusingly I can't see my mouse cursor there now so if I, say, wanted to click the options menu to quit the game... it'd be a bit like a game of pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey.

So I'll just be browsing the internet until the servers let me on again.

The game actually seems pretty interesting when you can play it, and the multiplayer aspects look as though they could be good (this coming from a person who has developed something of an irrational... not quite phobia, but more inability to play, of anything multiplayer).

It's just... I don't quite understand why a company launching an online-required game wouldn't intentionally over-supply capacity - it's not like they couldn't divert the extra server space to other games after the surge of interest dies down to a more steady level? Ironic, really, since the game is about resource management and balancing needs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 08, 2013, 10:03:03 am »

The reason they don't over-supply is because that costs money

What they reason is that by undersupplying it they will piss off their community only mildly but increase their money overall. It is one of those cases where the service is terrible but they don't pay for their own bad service.

In others they are going "Ha ha ha ha ha, you can't get us!" and they are right. barely anyone is going to not buy EA games because of this or sell their game to people who would (which by the by, killing resale is the point of this DRM, not anti-piracy)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:08:51 am by Neonivek »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 08, 2013, 10:22:55 am »

The reason they don't over-supply is because that costs money

What they reason is that by undersupplying it they will piss off their community only mildly but increase their money overall. It is one of those cases where the service is terrible but they don't pay for their own bad service.

In others they are going "Ha ha ha ha ha, you can't get us!" and they are right. barely anyone is going to not buy EA games because of this or sell their game to people who would (which by the by, killing resale is the point of this DRM, not anti-piracy)

Does anyone by used compputer games?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 08, 2013, 11:14:00 am »

Does anyone by used compputer games?

Enough people that it's actually the highest profit section of most bricks and mortar gaming stores (and in turn many orders of magnitude worse for development companies than piracy ever was)
That said noone I personally know seems to buy them.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 08, 2013, 11:16:04 am »

Do we have a bay12 region? I have a very profitable city but everyone is bailing on me. It'd be cool to play with 'serious' gamers who won't quit and destroy their city after one day  :-\
If so please invite me
origin id : bananaSplif
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 98