Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191568 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #285 on: February 06, 2013, 03:14:34 pm »

Personally, I didn't like 4. Loved 3000. So I'm hoping it's more like 3000. But I hated the small regions in four, so I'm going to assume that I am going to hate the small cities in this one. And 4 might be a lot better now. I played it when it first came out prior to the Rush Hour expansion.

But I will wait for the reviews and see if people like it. It could be a fun game. It might not be exactly what I want, but it could be fun. And that's what matters. If I want the game that I want, then I should learn how to program. And then I probably wouldn't get the game that I want anyway.

The default regions in 4 are not small. Like, at all. And there are custom regions out there that are hilariously huge. 20x20 large cities huge.

Also, yes, after ten years of mods SC4 is a completely different game.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 06, 2013, 03:41:32 pm »

Small regions in 4??? That was the game with the largest regions by a longshot.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 06, 2013, 04:28:32 pm »

So, question. I really like the old Caesar games and I like Sim City games, so it sounds like this is right up my alley from a gameplay perspective. Am I missing something or is this a pretty good fit (other than the DRM, to beat that horse a little more)?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 06, 2013, 04:30:24 pm »

So, question. I really like the old Caesar games and I like Sim City games, so it sounds like this is right up my alley from a gameplay perspective. Am I missing something or is this a pretty good fit (other than the DRM, to beat that horse a little more)?
DRM, DLC, Always online, EA.

All in all, it seems like it'll be a decent game, though EA is seriously trying to prevent that from happening.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 06, 2013, 04:37:47 pm »

Also, as unpopular as this opinion seems to be, I'm kind of looking forward to playing Sim City in a more multiplayer environment. It'll be kind of neat to build up a region with friends, working off of each other. We'll see if they implement it in a way that's as fun as I hope, but I'm more optimistic than I expected to be at this point.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 06, 2013, 05:17:56 pm »

I don't mind multiplayer and I think it's interesting but EA gives no option to play offline, they're doing what Blizzard did to Diablo franchise.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #291 on: February 06, 2013, 05:25:33 pm »

I don't mind multiplayer and I think it's interesting but EA gives no option to play offline, they're doing what Blizzard did to Diablo franchise.
And? Diablo 3 is pretty damned successful.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 06, 2013, 05:44:54 pm »

Yeah, I think the multiplayer aspects are actually something to look forward to. I've recently started playing dropbox simcity 4 (http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11945.0) with some friends and it's actually really fun

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 06, 2013, 06:35:23 pm »

Financially successful, yes. But I wouldn't think encouraging developers to release an originally offline game to be redesigned to revolve around always-online DRM and in-game micro-transaction is a success at gamers' end. Even Deadspace 3 is heading that way.

Anyway, I don't want to start another DRM debate, each to his/her own. I will leave it here.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 06, 2013, 06:54:11 pm »

I've been playing sim city 4 for a few days just for the hell of it, and one thing that I really cannot tolerate is the fact that freighter trucks just vanish into the endless voids of simnation. They don't really serve a purpose other than to stress the traffic.

Which reminds me of other problem, there's no real 'specialization' in sim city 4, sure we have regions, sure we can connect regions, the problem is that only things that travel between those regions is ... sims. That's about it. You can have industrial cities, financial cities, and residential cities, but anything else serves hardly any purpose.

I guess I'm asking a little too much from a game that's about a decade old, but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed by the fact that cargos are pretty much non-existent and the so-called specialization is just... bland.

DRM or not, the fact that 'agents' actually carry around stuff and you can sell the produced goods to other cities of yours or even the global market is enough for me. I just hope they didn't 'butcher' the other aspects of the game beyond recognitiion. I can tolerate most things as long as it's still sim city.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #295 on: February 06, 2013, 07:00:51 pm »

Financially successful, yes. But I wouldn't think encouraging developers to release an originally offline game to be redesigned to revolve around always-online DRM and in-game micro-transaction is a success at gamers' end. Even Deadspace 3 is heading that way.

Anyway, I don't want to start another DRM debate, each to his/her own. I will leave it here.
Financial success is the only type of success that matters for video game companies. I'm not debating DRM or anything else, just saying that the game should be judged on its own flaws and merits. Everyone seems to be holding this new not-yet-released game to the standard of Simcity 4 + expansions and mods. They didn't make it Simcity 5. Its not a sequel. Its just SimCity. Take it for what it is.

I'm excited about multiplayer, I'm excited about cooperative deals between specialized cities and working together on megaprojects. The always online DRM doesn't bother me, it never has. I have 5-6 games with that type of DRM and have never had an issue with it.

I guess I'm the odd man out here. This seems like a decent game with some potential.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 06, 2013, 07:15:23 pm »

Yeah, I think the multiplayer aspects are actually something to look forward to. I've recently started playing dropbox simcity 4 (http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11945.0) with some friends and it's actually really fun

Holy jesus this is cool! Dammit that I just heard of it now. Do you know if there are still SC4MP-games running between strangers? (Non of my friends are interested in SC$.)
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 06, 2013, 07:38:51 pm »

They didn't make it Simcity 5. Its not a sequel. Its just SimCity. Take it for what it is.

I think this is the problem, though.  I know in my case at least I really wanted this to be Simcity 5, but that's not what I got.  I got something else that I'm not interested in, and so won't be buying.

I don't really care about the DRM.  I mean sure, I've played the Simcity games while on the road with my laptop, but I can live with the DRM.  I just wanted a game with the same level of depth as Simcity 4, or more.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #298 on: February 06, 2013, 09:48:06 pm »

Simcity Societies 2 would be a cute name for it. And as a long term fan of the franchise I sincerely hope it flops as badly as societies.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 06, 2013, 09:51:28 pm »

-No modding: No support and no permission. It would interfere with the MMO part of the game. This combined with EA and you know there's going to be overpriced DLC.

*ollies outy*
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 98