Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245310 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #11130 on: January 07, 2016, 10:29:15 am »

Over a battalion worth of North African men popped up to commit sexual assaults? Sounds a helluva like manufactured thing to me.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: January 07, 2016, 11:10:24 am »

It's already the kind of thing that's been happening to women in immigrant heavy areas. This is just the first time it happens to westerners in any kind of substantial amounts, so it's the first time society cares.
Love, scriver~

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11132 on: January 07, 2016, 11:54:04 am »

CRAZY DRUNK RADICAL ISLAMIST RAPE PARTY WITH KÖLSCH AND PORK SCHNITZEL.

ISLAMIST

PORK SCHNITZEL.

something doesn't seem right here
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: January 07, 2016, 12:01:54 pm »

By the way, in response to Frumple's earlier comment that the number of 1000 referred to the revelers in the area in total, and the number of attackers was likely a couple of dozen at most.
Found an eyewitness account, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9TOdMzOH1U

They were apparently so many perpetrators that the police didn't have enough transports to get them to prison. Then they ran out of space in prison and all the nearby prisons and had to let some walk free.

That's some seriously scary stuff.

Yeah, I feel quite sorry for the police in all of this. They're getting a lot of flak, and this is completely outside the realm of what they've had to deal with before. As the bloke in the video quotes the police as saying, it was a 'Civil-war-like situation'. How are the police supposed to deal with that? But they'll have to learn and adapt quickly, I suppose.

People also seem to forget that the police is severly overworked and understaffed even on a REGULAR New Year's Eve.

Also why does public response seem to be virtually dominated by people who are either apologetic or people who go "boo all Moslims/refugee's bad"

Why can't people just only hate the people who did this and want them punished and thrown out of the country without punishing people who did nothing wrong?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: January 07, 2016, 01:24:26 pm »

What cover up? I've seen a bunch of articles, and my public radio had a short segment on it just 20 minutes ago.
http://tribune.com.pk/story/1022911/german-broadcaster-sorry-for-slow-reporting-on-mob-assaults/

The rest of the German media has not apologized.

By the way, in response to Frumple's earlier comment that the number of 1000 referred to the revelers in the area in total, and the number of attackers was likely a couple of dozen at most.
Found an eyewitness account, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9TOdMzOH1U

They were apparently so many perpetrators that the police didn't have enough transports to get them to prison. Then they ran out of space in prison and all the nearby prisons and had to let some walk free.

That's some seriously scary stuff.

Yeah, I feel quite sorry for the police in all of this. They're getting a lot of flak, and this is completely outside the realm of what they've had to deal with before. As the bloke in the video quotes the police as saying, it was a 'Civil-war-like situation'. How are the police supposed to deal with that? But they'll have to learn and adapt quickly, I suppose.

People also seem to forget that the police is severly overworked and understaffed even on a REGULAR New Year's Eve.

Also why does public response seem to be virtually dominated by people who are either apologetic or people who go "boo all Moslims/refugee's bad"

Why can't people just only hate the people who did this and want them punished and thrown out of the country without punishing people who did nothing wrong?
The people who did this come from a culture in which their crimes are socially acceptable.

Politics are spilling into my game-specific subreddits again. Halp.

Apparently there was some kind of mass sexual assault incident where 1,000 men assaulted random women during the New Years celebration in Cologne; most of the perpetrators were described as "North African and Arab in appearance".

And media is attempting to cover it up, along with every popular news sub on reddit or something.
Yeah, /r/KotakuInAction has become more of a general media watchdog these days. Moderators of /r/news and /r/worldnews did also delete the initial news reports repeatedly, because reasons.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:43:38 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11135 on: January 07, 2016, 03:33:46 pm »

It's already the kind of thing that's been happening to women in immigrant heavy areas. This is just the first time it happens to westerners in any kind of substantial amounts, so it's the first time society cares.
No, first time it all happened in one day in one place, lest we forget the UK or Sweden

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: January 07, 2016, 05:43:51 pm »

Rape gangs really aren't fun.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: January 07, 2016, 06:28:56 pm »

They're not. However, they are an acceptable practice in the places these people came from.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11138 on: January 07, 2016, 06:30:09 pm »

They're not. However, they are an acceptable practice in the places these people came from.
#its2016

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11139 on: January 07, 2016, 06:34:50 pm »

Y'know, I'd like a source for that. AFAIK most of the refugees in Germany do not in fact come from India.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11140 on: January 07, 2016, 06:35:49 pm »

#its2016
#WasteOurTime

Seriously though, it's unacceptable anywhere. It doesn't matter where you are, ganging up with the pals and going out for a tiddlywink o' the ole ultraviolence doesn't actually advance humanity. If you want to be of homosex with your friends, go work a field. Nurture some plants. Husband animals. Contribute to the ecosystem you're part of sapiently.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: January 07, 2016, 06:39:00 pm »

Assuming it's an acceptable practice there, it's still terrible. Anybody with respect for somebody else would see the morality for that. So they shouldn't be doing it where they're from - even less so should they be doing it in a country where almost every single person thinks of them as the foul beasts that they are.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11142 on: January 07, 2016, 07:58:44 pm »

Assuming it's an acceptable practice there, it's still terrible. Anybody with respect for somebody else would see the morality for that. So they shouldn't be doing it where they're from - even less so should they be doing it in a country where almost every single person thinks of them as the foul beasts that they are.
Of course. The point is that not all cultures are equal, and it's folly to treat them as such.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:01:37 pm by Morrigi »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: January 07, 2016, 08:10:20 pm »

Oy, Morrigi:

Y'know, I'd like a source for that. AFAIK most of the refugees in Germany do not in fact come from India.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11144 on: January 07, 2016, 08:15:23 pm »

Unsurprisingly (given the attacks they're facing) an internal police report has been leaked discussing the events at Cologne and the police response. Spiegel has an article on it here but there are better ones elsewhere - mostly in German, though.

Also many sources are now reporting that two young girls from Weil am Rhein, ages 14 and 15 (I've seen the older girl's age also being reported as 16 in certain sources) were raped multiple times by a group of Syrian refugees on New Year's Eve. 4 suspects are apparently on remand.
According to our Dutch newspapers, one of the perpetrators apparently was a 14 year old Syrian refugee from the Netherlands. He travelled to Germany to celebrate New Year with 3 other Syrians.
Those celebrations inculded the gang rape of two very minor girls, age 14 and 15, at the appartment of a 21 year old Syrian who had already gotten his asylum status granted in Germany, and who shared his appartment with his 15 year old brother, who is still in the procedure of applying for asylum. A fourth person was also arrested in the case, a 14 year old Syrian from Switzerland. It is not yet known what the relation between those boys/men is, whether they are all related, or just acquainted.

I'm sure the 3 minors will just get a reprimand, and no consequence for their asylum status. Our Child Protection Laws will make sure of that. The 21 year old guy will probably be airdropped back over Syria after spending a few years in a German prison with a 'pedofile' tattoo on his forehead though.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:18:10 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 759