Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245277 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #5760 on: May 06, 2013, 02:39:54 pm »

Australian researchers work out how to make cheap shitty silicon create better solar-cells than the current top-grade expensive stuff.

This is going to radically drop the price of Photo voltaic solar energy. Current top-grade PV harvests 17-19% of the sun's energy and costs a packet, the new process patented by UNSW (University of NSW) uses cheap silicon and harvests 21-23%. Apparently the price of solar panels has fallen 65% in the last 2 years due to skyrocketing production in China. This new technology promises to drive the price of solar energy down even further.
Told you so. Our future is in the power of the shining sun.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: May 06, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »

Just as a note, current top grade PV reaches levels as high as 40%. Though that's lab quality, not the stuff you see sold commercially.

Though really, I read about a whole lot of these solar breakthroughs. Nothing ever seems to happen with them.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: May 06, 2013, 02:51:36 pm »

Are you watching for things happening with them? Because twice as much solar was installed in the US last year than the year before it. Nor has that growth stopped. In fact, it has intensified.

I don't have the charts on hand and I'm too hungry to go looking for them right now, but wind is already on the exponential upcurve and solar is just about to hit it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: May 06, 2013, 02:59:51 pm »

Those are all the standard technologies though. None of those new and improved solar pannel thingies.

On the other hard, rare earth prices should normalize in about 3 years, which will give a significant boost to these technologies.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:08:18 pm by 10ebbor10 »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: May 06, 2013, 03:00:29 pm »

Carbon energy industries are still immensely powerful, and I imagine the most likely thing is they push their influence in the media to stay as silent as possible on solar.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: May 06, 2013, 03:13:56 pm »

I can't even find anything about the new pannel technology on green websites. Probably still in testing phases.

Edit: On a sidenote, reports of the European commision are rather interesting things to read.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:16:16 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5766 on: May 06, 2013, 03:57:20 pm »

And as far as I know, Solar thermal is still much better suited to large scale production, requiring no rare elements or problematic chemistry while being capable of producing power 24/7 without advances in battery tech and with efficiencies above 30%.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: May 07, 2013, 06:08:11 am »

I can't even find anything about the new pannel technology on green websites. Probably still in testing phases.

Edit: On a sidenote, reports of the European commision are rather interesting things to read.

The development only hit the news in Australia on May 6th, so give it some time. BTW the research was heavily funded by Suntech, the world's largest panel manufacturer which is based in China, and has ties to UNSW, and they have a legal right to deploy the technology, whilst the university has the right to license the tech to third parties. Suntech is actually having financial difficulties now, which could be either good or bad for the rapid deployment of this technology, depends on how things go.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:11:34 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5768 on: May 07, 2013, 09:46:02 am »

IT'S HAPPENING

SAVE US BASED PUTIN

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: May 07, 2013, 10:05:24 am »

IT'S HAPPENING

SAVE US BASED PUTIN
The Syrian civil war is slowly turning into a proxy war between Russia and the USA.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: May 07, 2013, 10:10:29 am »

Not really. Russians have trouble understanding than since the end of the World War, the US (and the rest of the world in general) don't really care about them anymore. The US are in for a variety of reasons, none of which is fighting Russia.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: May 07, 2013, 10:45:26 am »

The development only hit the news in Australia on May 6th, so give it some time. BTW the research was heavily funded by Suntech, the world's largest panel manufacturer which is based in China, and has ties to UNSW, and they have a legal right to deploy the technology, whilst the university has the right to license the tech to third parties. Suntech is actually having financial difficulties now, which could be either good or bad for the rapid deployment of this technology, depends on how things go.

Similair breakthrough's are announced practically every year. Was talking about those more than this one.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: May 07, 2013, 10:57:28 am »

Not really. Russians have trouble understanding than since the end of the World War, the US (and the rest of the world in general) don't really care about them anymore. The US are in for a variety of reasons, none of which is fighting Russia.
Russians have never trusted the Western world, and don't trust it now. Such distrust has deep historical and cultural roots.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: May 07, 2013, 12:34:15 pm »

Russians have never trusted the Western world, and don't trust it now. Such distrust has deep historical and cultural roots.

And your point is? I'm struggling to recall anyone who trusts the western world, including those who compose it.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5774 on: May 07, 2013, 01:13:30 pm »

Y'see, trust is relative...
Trust is absolute; trust is not mutual.
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 759