Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274101 times)

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4110 on: December 03, 2012, 05:26:06 am »

I'm not entirely convinced that participating in the system this way is the best way to make up for it's shortcomings.

By the way: Wouldn't it be better to instead of raising the money by relying on donations to take out a loan (of say $100k) and use that to buy debt (of say $1m) and thus "eliminating" debt without pouring more "fresh/new" money into the lending-industry?
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: December 03, 2012, 05:34:22 am »

Who's going to lend you 100,000$ like this?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: December 03, 2012, 05:34:45 am »

Money lenders?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: December 03, 2012, 06:32:56 am »

a) You can't choose which debt to buy.

b) They don't just downgrade debt to 10% or 1% of its value randomly.  You have to be really clearly unable to afford the whole thing.

c) After being burned so badly by subprime mortgages they're going to be reluctant to make these terrible loans.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: December 03, 2012, 10:57:51 am »

Well, with high interest rates.

Didn't Greece just start such a buyback program? Let's hope it works out for them, when I get into the job market I want this crisis to be over!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: December 06, 2012, 06:02:43 am »

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/12/05/laura-ingrahams-newsletter-doesnt-remember-when/191698

The December 5 edition of conservative pundit Laura Ingraham's newsletter attacked President Obama for recently meeting with MSNBC personalities, claiming that "if Fox News hosts and conservative personalities had stopped by the Bush White House to discuss policy" the press "would have been rightly outraged." But President Bush did meet with a group of Fox News and conservative personalities at the White House -- including Laura Ingraham. 

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: December 06, 2012, 07:44:24 am »

Par for the hilarious course.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: December 06, 2012, 08:35:54 am »

Obviously anything they do isbeyond reproach.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: December 07, 2012, 10:53:08 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen, it is official: DOMA and Proposition 8 are going to the Supreme Court.

DOMA is dead in the water. That's not even really a question. It violates the equal protection clause on its face and has never passed a constitutional challenge in lower courts.

Proposition 8 is going to be....interesting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: December 07, 2012, 10:55:55 pm »

Hmm. Arguments will last till june of next year. Will be interesting now that John Roberts is Mister Swing-voter Extraordinaire.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: December 07, 2012, 11:01:29 pm »

Here's hoping that Prop 8 gets struck down on the national stage, not just in the state.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: December 07, 2012, 11:03:03 pm »

It is, of course, concievable the courts could dodge the enire issue and solve them on strict results. The thing about California is that Prop 8 violated the Californian Constitution.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: December 07, 2012, 11:12:48 pm »

Here's hoping that Prop 8 gets struck down on the national stage, not just in the state.
It's a state thing, it can't be struck down nationally.
It is, of course, concievable the courts could dodge the enire issue and solve them on strict results.
Possibly, but they probably would not have accepted it if they were going to do a strict resolution. They only accept so many cases per year, and strict resolutions are mostly a waste for the highest court.
The thing about California is that Prop 8 violated the Californian Constitution.
Once again, at least four members of the Supreme Court must have seen the potential that this is an issue concerning the US Constitution for this to have even been accepted.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: December 07, 2012, 11:19:10 pm »

What I mean is that I'm hoping that the Supreme Court backs up the Californian Court's decision. If the Supreme Court instead turns around and says "Nope, should have let the votes decide", then the anti-gay crowd here will get some fresh wind in their sails.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: December 07, 2012, 11:26:55 pm »

All I will say is that THIS SCOTUS handling DOMA scares me. History is repeating; this is Brown v. Board all over again. Except this time, we may have a less reasonable court. The NAACP did not want Brown in SCOTUS then, because the risk of a bad result was too great. That is exactly my position, here, now, with this. I do not want DOMA in front of the current SCOTUS. I'm afraid they will order its enforcement.

I would much rather Obama got to replace a conservative justice to two before this case was decided. These are the same ones who said corporations are people (but only for the good parts of being people, can't jail them, or their directors), so who knows what on earth they'll come up with this time.

I will grudgingly respect this SCOTUS, solely and entirely because I have no choice. I don't trust it though.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 759