Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245322 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2235 on: July 13, 2012, 06:10:01 am »

...Men who have sex with men aren't allowed to give blood in Sweden either. There was a big thing about it just a week or two ago.
Love, scriver~

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: July 13, 2012, 06:36:08 am »

I am going to guess that the reason the ban is still active has less to do with HIV and more to do with "people" being afraid to catch teh geys.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: July 13, 2012, 07:43:15 am »

If there's actual statistics to back it up, then yeah I don't really have a problem with preventing people with high risk from donating blood. Also they better not be cherry picking which high risk groups to disallow and which not to.

And if the statistics don't back it up, well, then the answer is obvious.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: July 13, 2012, 08:18:11 am »

I'd prefer it if they just tested all blood anyway rather than do these kind of blanket bans. I mean, I really do hope they're already doing that, so I don't see what the point of the bans would be?
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: July 13, 2012, 08:30:15 am »

HIV's impossible to detect until it manifests, iirc.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: July 13, 2012, 09:01:18 am »

Yeah, but then they should ask all blood givers if they have a lot of unprotected sex with strangers. As it stands now not only ravenous, car park sex maniacs are banned from giving blood, but also completely monogamous have-only-ever-had-sex-with-each-other people even though the only thing these two groups have in common is that they are both gay and have sex.
Love, scriver~

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: July 13, 2012, 09:14:06 am »

...Men who have sex with men aren't allowed to give blood in Sweden either. There was a big thing about it just a week or two ago.
Blame Google.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: July 13, 2012, 10:52:04 am »

I think in Canada(at least from what I remember from the last time I gave blood), they give you a questionnaire that includes questions like "are you a man who sleeps with men", "do you inject drugs", etc.  If you are in a risk group they just put the blood through extra testing.

In other interesting hiv/canada news, there is a new program in Vancouver where if you think you might have been exposed to HIV, you can get some drugs that will reduce your chances of contracting HIV by 80% if you take it within 72 hours of exposure.  I think its essentially the same thing they give to nurses when they accidentally prick themselves with a needle.

http://www.cfenet.ubc.ca/npep

Its actually pretty great news, as mistakes can always happen and this should help quite a few people.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: July 13, 2012, 12:27:40 pm »

Hopefully that HIV vaccine that entered human trials not too long ago will come to fruition and render the blood donation issue moot.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: July 13, 2012, 12:33:36 pm »

Not entirely moot; vaccines only work if you don't already have the disease.
Would really help though.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: July 13, 2012, 12:38:00 pm »

Right, but you could just inoculate anyone who requires a blood donation that could potentially be infected, or do nothing at all if their record shows that they are already inoculated, which they almost certainly would be if this works. I know I wouldn't turn down HIV immunity.

The only loophole would be unimmunized people who are so injured that they are going to quickly die without a blood transfusion, which is a significantly lessened risk than our current situation.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: July 13, 2012, 02:07:52 pm »

HIV's impossible to detect until it manifests, iirc.
This may be out-of-date information, but I was under the impression that HIV has a latency period, during which time it is very difficult to detect. If that's true, someone giving blood shortly after contracting the disease could pass it on to someone else.

My Wikipedia-fu is telling me
Most people develop detectable antibodies approximately 30 days after infection, although some seroconvert later. The vast majority of people (97%) have detectable antibodies by three months after HIV infection; a six-month window is extremely rare with modern antibody testing.

So yeah, there is a bit of risk.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: July 13, 2012, 02:12:31 pm »

I think in Canada(at least from what I remember from the last time I gave blood), they give you a questionnaire that includes questions like "are you a man who sleeps with men", "do you inject drugs", etc.  If you are in a risk group they just put the blood through extra testing.

In other interesting hiv/canada news, there is a new program in Vancouver where if you think you might have been exposed to HIV, you can get some drugs that will reduce your chances of contracting HIV by 80% if you take it within 72 hours of exposure.  I think its essentially the same thing they give to nurses when they accidentally prick themselves with a needle.

http://www.cfenet.ubc.ca/npep

Its actually pretty great news, as mistakes can always happen and this should help quite a few people.
It's worth noting that the odds of catching HIV from a single exposure are not too high to begin with.

That being said: post-exposure prophylaxis has been around for a while.  But yeah, it's interesting. It's also worth noting that people under ARV treatment are less infectious than they would be otherwise.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: July 13, 2012, 02:14:25 pm »

I was under the impression that it was pretty much impossible to contract HIV from someone on antiretrovirals.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: July 13, 2012, 02:18:08 pm »

You wanna take that risk? :P

I know that AIDS isn't the death sentence it used to be, but I'd still rather not get it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 759