Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245313 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1980 on: June 25, 2012, 12:24:12 pm »

It's also the most patient police officer I've ever seen.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: June 25, 2012, 12:25:22 pm »

Yeah, I mean, I almost got arrested for openly carrying a halberd once, and in retrospect I totally understand it. I really was scaring people (the fact that I had Bloody Mary stains on my shirt didn't help. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: June 25, 2012, 12:26:12 pm »

As much as I dislike myself for saying this, he's still not allowed to do it. It's not up to the police officer to decide what law should or should not be followed. That's up to the courts and the legislation.

* Descan feels dirty for having said this. :<
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: June 25, 2012, 12:27:00 pm »

...Dude. I'm completely with the police on that one. If a policeman aren't allowed to check up on you when your carrying of a gun makes people scared, then something is wrong with your laws.
Perhaps you missed it, but what the guy in that video was doing is completely legal in the United States and what the cop was doing was an illegal stop and seizure. Regardless of whether or not you agree with US gun law, that's the situation in the eyes of the law.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: June 25, 2012, 12:28:08 pm »

Yeah, that's right, cops should follow the law. But then, I'm not in the least surprised, and this really does seem minor.

Also, is it legal to open carry in Maine? I really have no idea.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: June 25, 2012, 01:27:59 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/supreme-court-upholds-key-part-arizona-immigration-law-141927514.html

The title is bullshit but yes. The overwhelming majority of the law got struck down, because separation of powers, and you can see the spin doctors are already trying to swing it as a conservative victory.

You lost 95% of your law, even a broken clock is right twice a day, but this counts as a win...? Sure, why not....

If you count by provisions they technically lost only 75% of their law ...  :P
But besides that. When is Scalia going to retire? Only in the US it is possible to be so openly political in the position of a judge. He sure had a minority opinion again ... i quote:
Quote from: Antonin Scalia
[...] to say, as the court does, that Arizona contradicts federal law by enforcing applications of federal immigration law that the president declines to enforce boggles the mind.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: June 25, 2012, 01:33:04 pm »

I'm firmly convinced that Scalia plans to die in office. He's 76 and overweight, but apparently still going strong. I've never seen a man his age be so unhealthy and unaffected by it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: June 25, 2012, 01:40:36 pm »

Why, because they stamp everything "classified,"
so... should I stamp classified to my forehead, computer and all my mail? :P

Only if you're the government.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 25, 2012, 02:00:05 pm »

The truth will set you free? Is that why they tell you, "you have the right to remain silent?"
Speaking of dealing with the police.

Why do i get the feeling that if they didn't check up on him and he DID murder someone the same outrage would be directed at "why didn't the police look at this guy".

The reason is there's no magic wand to tell good guys from bad guys. I can't muster much outrage over a check like this of a lethal weapon for that reason, i've read too many accounts of bad guys getting a free pass.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: June 25, 2012, 02:07:54 pm »

Why do i get the feeling that if they didn't check up on him and he DID murder someone the same outrage would be directed at "why didn't the police look at this guy".
Because there are people who believe a false sense of security justifies breaking laws and procedures on the part of law enforcement. Which was basically where we started.

i.e. because the outrage would be coming from the people who think stuff like this is alright.

The reason is there's no magic wand to tell good guys from bad guys. I can't muster much outrage over a check like this of a lethal weapon for that reason, i've read too many accounts of bad guys getting a free pass.
In what was does hassling citizens who are legally going about their business and not causing any trouble going to do anything to stop bad guys? How does following the law give bad guys a free pass?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: June 25, 2012, 02:10:38 pm »

Because "not breaking the law"="not doing anything wrong, nothing to see here"?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: June 25, 2012, 02:18:35 pm »

I hate to say this, but the police's job is to enforce the law, not anything else. If you law are stupid, that's your problem.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: June 25, 2012, 02:23:40 pm »

Because "not breaking the law"="not doing anything wrong, nothing to see here"?
I'm not really sure who you're arguing against here or what you are trying to say.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: June 25, 2012, 02:25:52 pm »

I was basically answering your last question with the same intended meaning as sheb's post but in a much more laconic manner.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: June 25, 2012, 02:33:08 pm »

But... but no one even drew a strict parallel between lawbreaking and bad-doing.

I'm so confused.

So do you think police should be allowed to break the law as a general rule on the off chance that some person may end up being a problem at some point in the future and the law breaking might have some possible chance os somehow impacting the likelihood, or that they shouldn't?

Precuationary law breakage on part of police, okay or not okay?
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 759