Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273296 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3810 on: November 01, 2012, 01:50:49 pm »

Firstly, a makeshift noose made out of a towel is a horrible way to go.

Secondly, the guards and potentially other inmates will actively try to stop it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3811 on: November 01, 2012, 02:05:00 pm »

The death penalty isn't necessarily about vengeance (not in every case anyway).

Charles Manson and Anders Breivik for example? These are people who walked through murder, smiled and kept going. People who have or intend to infect the minds of others and smother the world in chaos and blood. These are people that can not be redeemed. Their continued existence is a risk I would rather not take, and the same goes for most serial killers and a fair number of mass murderers.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: November 01, 2012, 02:17:11 pm »

For such there is life imprisonment. Whether you believe that worse than death or not I dunno, but that's why I give the option for euthanasia.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: November 01, 2012, 02:20:10 pm »

But even so-called "life sentences" carry the possibility of parole after a certain number of years. Charles Manson has tried repeatedly to get out, and supposedly Breivik will have the same opportunity in ten years or so. What if one day they actually succeed and are released?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: November 01, 2012, 02:24:11 pm »

Charles Manson has been repeatedly rejected parole and by the time he gets his next hearing he will be *ninety*. Don't be ridiculous
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3815 on: November 01, 2012, 02:25:47 pm »

Manson and Breivik don't need to leave prison to get their message out and instigate more murders.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: November 01, 2012, 02:31:48 pm »

Manson and Breivik don't need to leave prison to get their message out and instigate more murders.

They don't need to be alive to do it either. Martyrs have a lot of power.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: November 01, 2012, 02:35:36 pm »

But even so-called "life sentences" carry the possibility of parole after a certain number of years. Charles Manson has tried repeatedly to get out, and supposedly Breivik will have the same opportunity in ten years or so. What if one day they actually succeed and are released?
If they're actually competent to become members of society again, then great! If not, then the parole board has some issues it needs resolved.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: November 01, 2012, 02:43:45 pm »

By the way, I know it makes me a terrible person, but I couldn't help giggling when I read this one year ago or so. France decided to implement "anit-suicide kit" for inmate at risks, kits that included stuff like paper pyjamas and fireproof mattress.

Sure enough, a couple month later, someone managed to commit suicide with the anti-suicide kit.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: November 01, 2012, 02:45:31 pm »

If they're actually competent to become members of society again, then great! If not, then the parole board has some issues it needs resolved.
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly with the first part. The second part, however, can be as simple as someone saying "Hey Manson, you're 90-something now, how about we let you live your last few years outside prison?"
Bam. Unrepentant mass murderer who still has followers on the loose.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: November 01, 2012, 02:46:47 pm »

I'd still say resolving that is best done by making sure your parole board doesn't make such mistakes, not by killing people so they never have the opportunity to.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: November 01, 2012, 02:47:01 pm »

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly with the first part. The second part, however, can be as simple as someone saying "Hey Manson, you're 90-something now, how about we let you live your last few years outside prison?"
Bam. Unrepentant mass murderer who still has followers on the loose.

Who in their right mind would do that? I think that falls under "the parole board has some issues it needs resolved".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: November 01, 2012, 02:51:27 pm »

I'm not saying it would happen, or even that it's likely. It is a risk though, unless another parole board can come in and overrule the release.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: November 01, 2012, 02:56:08 pm »

Well, you usually have rules about parole. Live the convicts have to demosntrate repentence, and be judged to not pose a risk for society.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: November 01, 2012, 03:05:03 pm »

I don't have time to find them right now, but I'm pretty sure I could find you scores of cases of "parole board released a convicted killer, who then killed somebody while on release".

I agree in principle with the "let's correct the problems with the parole board rather than kill people" but the problem is that when the parole board makes mistakes in judgement, innocent people can die as a result.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 759