Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273211 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3795 on: October 20, 2012, 02:32:29 pm »

Boy Scouts of America has been hiding 50+ years of pedophile crimes, often comforting and getting counseling for the rapists while doing little for the victims and their families, and when a pedophile was actually persecuted they made sure the court documents never mentioned the rapist was a leader in Boy Scouts.

Good god.  My whole family has been involved in Boy Scouting, even as far back as my grandparents.

Wait you've just found out about this now?

It's kind of old news, IIRC.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: October 20, 2012, 03:15:51 pm »

Heard about a couple days ago, didn't remember to post about it until yesterday o_O  I guess I'm sorta annoyed that everyone just went "meh" about it and moved on.  One of my earliest memories involved Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, it's been a part of my life since forever.  Then suddenly you find out it's been a haven of sorts for pedophiles to regularly get away with things for more years than you've been alive :/

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: October 20, 2012, 03:28:14 pm »

Yeah I heard about that. Lots of apologetics about it over the radio yesterday.

The child molestation thing happens in a lot of places with authority figures over young kids (priests, teachers, etc) and anywhere will likely cover things up if it makes them look bad. Ultimately I'm just not too shocked about it at all, as it's the sort of thing I'd suspect in any similar organization.

I'm generally more pissed at them for their homophobia and pushing of religion than this, because those things are actively pushed by them rather than a skeleton in their closet.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: October 20, 2012, 03:47:35 pm »

Something similar came to light with Jimmy Savile (OBE) recently.  It's really terrible that he managed to get away with it for years and only really got exposed after his death.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: October 22, 2012, 02:20:35 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8JsRx2lois

This video renews my faith in humanity, also the preacher is actually a pastor.

He also runs a pretty cool blog.

At first I was like >:?

...Then I saw what he did there. That speech was masterfully done. Thank you for sharing that.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: October 22, 2012, 06:55:33 am »

The best part is that he's really progressive, check out his blog, he's progressive in almost every other issue as well.

Goes to show that religious people can be progressive.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: October 22, 2012, 07:01:24 am »

Progressive religious types don't tend to ram their views down your throat, and the right wing religious fundamentalists tend to use that polarizing logic, like "Republican = For God, therefore Democrats/liberals are anti-god". They're good at "owning" the issues, I'll give them that.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: October 22, 2012, 12:49:05 pm »

Yeah that speech is a good example of why I point out rhetoric to people who make bad arguments. Even if you're supporting a valid cause, if I can switch around the nouns in your argument to something horrible, your argument is bad.

Obviously his satirical first half wasn't supporting a good cause, but still :P
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3804 on: November 01, 2012, 09:49:29 am »

Yea. My biggest qualms about supporting the death penalty have always been:
1: The chance that an innocent person is killed.
2: Those executed are disproportionately minorities.
3: The psychology of those who would be involved. Though I have to admit I was more concerned about the kind of person who would seek out the position of executioner to satisfy their blood-lust than the one who reluctantly accepted that position

Its why I wouldn't mind seeing the death penalty being banned, even though I do think some people are so terrible that they should die to protect the rest of society.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: November 01, 2012, 10:06:07 am »

That's kind of my position as well. I'm not at all inherently anti-death penalty, but I am more than willing to agree that the implemention is heavily flawed and probably deserves a moratorium until it can be reformed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3806 on: November 01, 2012, 10:22:00 am »

I remember reading a sad story related to death row in a cooking comic, of all places. '식객' (shik-gek).
Korean death row prisoners in solitary fear each time they are taken out of their cell. Are they going to turn left at the junction, to execution, or right, to some other place? Is today the last day of their life? Living in perpetual fear of that is hard to imagine. Even if they are criminals, I suppose they still have humane rights.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: November 01, 2012, 12:23:04 pm »

I'm always promoting rehabilitation when possible; vengeance be damned. For those that can't though... Life imprisonment with the option of euthanasia (yes I know there's potential abuse in giving the "option" of euthanasia, mainly in the form of pressuring them to do it).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: November 01, 2012, 01:05:05 pm »

Eh, it's not that hard to just commit suicide in prison if you really can't take life imprisonment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: November 01, 2012, 01:21:45 pm »

It's no really a question of ease. It's a question of decency.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 759