Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long Embark  (Read 1196 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Long Embark
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:54:03 pm »

I've got a new embark style, 2x8 as opposed to my usual 4x4. The top 1 tile deep is sedimentary and forest, then there's 1 tile of flat mountain land with a brook, then the cliff starts in the 3rd tile, so I have 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 to do what I want in, built a really long entrance corridor with a grand opening on the front and everything, anyone else do things like this?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Long Embark
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:57:34 pm »

Sometimes, but it can be a pain if elevation variance across it is excessive.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:00:05 pm »

In the past there was a bug, which may or may not have been fixed, with non-square embarks. This bug allowed things that would otherwise spawn on the map edge, like traders, wild animals, and most dangerously ambush squads, to spawn in the middle of the map where the edge would be if it was square. This was quite problematic, especially for above-ground forts, because it could result in enemies appearing in the middle of your bedrooms if you weren't careful. I still avoid non-square embarks for that reason.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:03:58 pm »

I've done a few non-square before, can be entertaining, never run into that bug though.  I mostly use it for when I want to set a "kill hall" that will be long and narrow, filled with dwarves in steel.  Primarily, this is done on Fortress Defense mod, or my own variant, where you can get upwards of 300 enemy troops at a time, and having a proper kill hall is amazing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:11:51 pm »

This bug allowed things that would otherwise spawn on the map edge, like traders, wild animals, and most dangerously ambush squads, to spawn in the middle of the map where the edge would be if it was square.

Goblins in your base...

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:37:01 pm »

I'm going to try the same thing now, but with a different tactic. I'm bored of "easy" forts, but I find it hard to have meaningful challenges. Here I've set myself some targets. Get 200 in comfort, preferably without deaths. Embark with only miners to get started well. Use a long embark. Use reveal so I can work out exactly how I'm planning the fort out. (Yes, it's "hacks", but for aesthetic purposes)
I'll post pictures when done, of course! :)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 04:04:21 pm »

This bug allowed things that would otherwise spawn on the map edge, like traders, wild animals, and most dangerously ambush squads, to spawn in the middle of the map where the edge would be if it was square.

Goblins in your base...

Oh I had this happen once. 

I had a long east-west oriented map once and the fort was likewise enlongated.  The dining hall was partly built on the surface on the east end, just left of the center of the map.

Code: [Select]
M = mountain
V = volcano
F = forest
R = river (minor river 8 tiles wide IIRC)
X = center of map

MMFFFFFRF
MVMMXFMRR
MMFFFFMMR

Total embark tiles: 27
Only slightly higher than my norm of 25 in a 5x5 map.

Coal and flux were under the forest with deep silver and gold and the mountains had iron and deep galena.

The majority of the fort was built into and on the spur between the volcano and center of the map.  Main access was over a bridge between that spur and the mountain near the river.

For eight years sieges (x7) and ambushes(like 100 of them) only appeared from the north and south sides of the map, so there were no problems.

*A vile force of darkness has arrived!*

"What the hell?  They just spawned IN my dining hall."

90 goblins + 40 trolls.  Most of the squads and a few of the trolls spawned in the dining hall.

170 civvies were in this room or the rooms on the 3z-levels below.  The only entrance to those rooms was through the dining hall.

*order all military active and stationed at the entrance to dining hall*

*unpause*

Epic carnage of a scale beyond what you can possibly imagine ensued. 

In the end I had lost 192 of 260 dwarves (167 civvies, 25 military), had 30 dwarves severely injured and all my doctors were dead and the remaining 38 functional dwarves immediately imploded in a tantrum spiral and vast clouds of FPS-killing miasma.  Also, a troll smashed a magma forge and a bunch of fire imps got into my wood and food stockpiles with predictable results.

It was totally worth it.   I'd do it again in an instant.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 04:12:15 pm »

For what it's worth, I had an square embark in 31.xx where creatures (including invaders, migrants, and traders) would spawn along a line running through the middle of the site.  It's not just rectangular sites that can have spawns away from the map edge for apparent reason.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.