Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Question about Vampires & Feeding  (Read 1022 times)

Vinnie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Question about Vampires & Feeding
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:13:36 pm »

Will Vampires attempt to feed off each other? IE: If the only dwarf a vampire has access to is another vampire, will they attempt to kill and drain it?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: A Question about Vampires & Feeding
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:14:32 pm »

No.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:16:19 pm »

More generally, vampires only feed off of sleeping creatures and vampires don't sleep.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:18:06 pm »

More generally, vampires only feed off of sleeping creatures and vampires don't sleep.

False - if a vamp is hungry enough they will grab and drain an awake creature.  But it has to be both intelligent and living - vampires are considered undead.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Vinnie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:46:35 am »

Excellent. Time to seperate my entire military permanently from the rest of the Fort and turn them all into vampires then!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:21:17 am »

Can vampirism be spread in DF?  The three vampires I had in my fortress came in with migrations, and legend-mode says they were cursed for desecrating a temple.  Although they killed a number of Dwarves in the fortress before I disposed of them, they don't appear to have "made" new vampires.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:24:15 am »

Can vampirism be spread in DF?  The three vampires I had in my fortress came in with migrations, and legend-mode says they were cursed for desecrating a temple.  Although they killed a number of Dwarves in the fortress before I disposed of them, they don't appear to have "made" new vampires.
Make them bleed into water. Make well above water. Watch as sucker dwarves make themselves vampires.

Vampirism is basically a virus that spreads through ingestion.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:41:32 am »

Make them bleed into water. Make well above water. Watch as sucker dwarves make themselves vampires.

Vampirism is basically a virus that spreads through ingestion.
Interesting.  So in order to catch vampirism in DF, you have to bite a vampire before he can bite you.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:45:42 am »

Well, not sure if that works. Drinking water contaminated with their blood definitely does. Stuff like biting them *should* also do it, but who knows if it actually does :p

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:51:33 am »

False - if a vamp is hungry enough they will grab and drain an awake creature.  But it has to be both intelligent and living - vampires are considered undead.

So if I segregated my only (so far) vampire in the fortress somewhere secure (after his 601 days in prison are up) then left goblins in cages somewhere he could get at them would he feed off them?