Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crippled war vets  (Read 2113 times)

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crippled war vets
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:10:21 am »

How do you handle these?  Once one of my soldiers loses a limb or digit, I typically decide to let them leave the military, and give them a funny  nickname  and a civilian job (like "Peggy," the female hammerdwarf who lost her right leg and left foot, and now works as a brewer with the job title "barmaid").  I know they can still survive and kill once they've lost just about everything, but it seems thematically more interesting to have a bunch of dwarves with missing parts from their days in the militia handling the civilian stuff.  Of course, I may have euthanized one or two who'd lost both of their hands and spammed me with endless cancellation orders- but that was really for their own good.  What do you do with injured vets?  Honor, retire, kill...?

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crippled war vets
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:34:23 am »

Has he still got teeth? Then he can still fight.

carabide

• Bay Watcher
  • Want to see my Wabbajack?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:52:32 am »

They join the zombie pits, so they might protect the fortress in death as they did in life.
Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:14:16 am »

If they still have everything important, I keep them.
Otherwise, they get a little tomb engraved (hopefully with their feats) and retired to whatever job they are good at or would enjoy.

I did have a now-armed legendary militia dwarf that (ahem) kicked ass for years after the injury...
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:16:17 am »

For Me, They Retire.
Literally.
I always have a section of My Fort for Retirees. They have their own Houses, Dining Hall, Graveyard, and Temple. It makes it feel, through My Eyes, like Im rewarding them. But, also segregating them.
Its a two sided blade, and it cuts both ways.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:19:26 am »

For Me, They Retire.
Literally.
I always have a section of My Fort for Retirees. They have their own Houses, Dining Hall, Graveyard, and Temple. It makes it feel, through My Eyes, like Im rewarding them. But, also segregating them.

... You scare me.

I don't have injured vets, they all die in battle.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:01:27 pm »

They become teachers. No one thought of that ::)

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:04:43 pm »

They used to go into the royal guard, but now, now I have plans to re-weaponize them as candidates for were-conversion. Familied members are out to prevent tantrum spirals, but the others... the healing aspects of weredom are very attractive.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:20:57 pm »

They become teachers. No one thought of that ::)
This is what I was going to post.  If they can still teach weapon-use, they are still viable members of the military.  Make them a militia captain and give them a squad of FNGs to train. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 07:22:07 pm »

In a previous fort I had a crippled veteran who lived in a small burrow near the main entrance. He had a window which overlooked the main entrance, and his own little apartment with a private booze stockpile, his own bedroom and dining room to hobble about on his crutches, and a selection of finely crafted levers.

When a siege arrived, he would peer out of the crystaline window, set down his favoured rum beverage, and reach out his one remaining, only slightly crippled hand.

Pausing only briefly to consider *which* finely crafted lever to pull with his one remaining half-crippled hand, he would unleash finely-crafted destruction on whichever foe or foolish elf caravan had decided to venture into his selection of death-traps.

For him, life was still worth living.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:25:33 pm by Koremu »
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:39:55 pm »

For Me, They Retire.
Literally.

... You scare me.

Well, just dont ask Me what happens if They have Kids.
Then Ill scare You.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:43:10 pm »

For Me, They Retire.
Literally.

... You scare me.

Well, just dont ask Me what happens if They have Kids.
Then Ill scare You.

.... They live with the seniors for the rest of there lives, doomed to see all there loved ones die before themselves.?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 08:54:37 pm »

I put them behind the recruiting desk to scare off the hesitant.

Muffin for reference.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 08:56:34 pm »

I put them behind the recruiting desk to scare off the hesitant.

Muffin for reference.

How many of your dwarves get cyberdogs?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 08:57:08 pm »

I let them walk around and do whatever they are capable of doing.
 Those who cannot work are allowed to walk around and socialize as normal.
 Those who can work but do it slowly are given jobs where they basically stay put. I like the idea of a bunch of cripples being doctors.
 Those who can't even get out of bed are put in a special "ward" section near the hospital. Watering and feeding them is part of the other cripples job description.
 The blind ones are treated just like regular dwarves except they are preferable as siege operators.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2