Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I made my dwarves drink GCS venom and nothing happened. :(  (Read 4827 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
I made my dwarves drink GCS venom and nothing happened. :(
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:56:39 pm »

(figured this would be more appropriate here than derailing a DF questions thread so I copied it)....
I just realized I can make my dwarves drink venom.

TO THE LABORATORY!

Edit:
 I made a pocket world and embarked in a calm area. I didn't bother to look for helmet snake venom in the list of things to bring because I found giant cave spider venom and thought "even better!"
 I made a 1x1 pit and made a small tunnel to it. The pit was blocked off by a door so it remained a 1x1 room... the reason was because I wanted to move the barrel in and out of there.
 I tried using a bug to remove the venom from the barrel. I forbid the venom pool itself and designated the barrel for dumping and for moving to another stockpile. It didn't work ... I suppose the bug occurs when you tell the dwarves to put the barrel in the TRADE DEPOT and nowhere else. The forbidden venom gets poured out when you do this.

So I had to wait for merchants. I left the game on and took a walk ... only to realize when I got back that I had left the autosave function on and only a month had passed. So I had to sit down and wait the rest of the year until finally merchants arrived.

It worked. The dwarves poured the venom into the small room and left with the barrel. I locked the door before anyone could clean it up and immediately started filling in the room from above as a pond. I saw that the Z level above the pool showed that there was liquid ... WHITE liquid. I built a well over it and, sure enough, the bucket contains "water laced with giant cave spider venom"

Now I wait ... the dwarves kept running there and pouring water into the well. so I turned off the pond option.. and now they start drinking!

... there are 8 units of venom-laced water in the bucket. So far 5 dwarves have drunk from it but no one is showing any symptoms of being poisoned.

Fudge.

Edit 2: after a while the venom evaporated. oh well... atleast I got the dwarves to drink it and that's worth something.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:59:08 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: I made my dwarves drink GCS venom and nothing happened. :(
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:59:17 pm »

I hereby donate one !!xXpig tail fiber sockXx!! to your cause.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:02:14 pm »

TL;DR

BUT!  The GCS venom causes an injected syndrome, it has no affiliated ingestion syndrome, so it's perfectly safe to drink venom.  In fact I believe this is true in the real world.  Unless you have an outstanding stomach ulcer, then stomach acid will neutralize the venom and the venom has no bloodstream to enter.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 11:08:35 pm »

TL;DR

BUT!  The GCS venom causes an injected syndrome, it has no affiliated ingestion syndrome, so it's perfectly safe to drink venom.  In fact I believe this is true in the real world.  Unless you have an outstanding stomach ulcer, then stomach acid will neutralize the venom and the venom has no bloodstream to enter.

Yes you are right ... it's all in the wiki.
 I feel silly now.
I have an art blog now.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 11:51:14 pm »

Now do the same thing with a burrowed vampire and a barrel of animal blood, then add a child to his burrow and see if he still needs to feed or not.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:00:11 am »

I learned this on the internet.
Venom is injected, poison is ingested.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 12:49:15 am »

if i recall correctly Girlinhat is 100% correct, you can drink the venom of almost any snake you want (not sure about spiders.. very little venom but way more potent) and unless you have gingivitis or an ulcer it wont do anything other than taste funny.

some of the more potent snake venom's may harm you if they diffuse into your bloodstream through your tongue or esophagus but that's highly unlikely especially if you drink something afterwards.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:10:29 am »

if i recall correctly Girlinhat is 100% correct, you can drink the venom of almost any snake you want (not sure about spiders.. very little venom but way more potent) and unless you have gingivitis or an ulcer it wont do anything other than taste funny.

some of the more potent snake venom's may harm you if they diffuse into your bloodstream through your tongue or esophagus but that's highly unlikely especially if you drink something afterwards.

...  If you test that, let me know how it works for you.

But I don't sell life insurance, so don't look at me.  I think it's a bad idea.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Cyco_Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:56:56 am »

Has anyone tried putting a metal spear in a pit with gcs venom then removing the spear and using it on an enemy it should be considered ejected.

Edit: Tomorrow afternoon I'll use poisoned steel bolts to hunt elephaunts.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:22:56 am by Cyco_Chicken »
QuoteModify
Quote from: arzzult on Today at 02:47:41 am
Too far? This is the game where we slaughter the cutest animals we can find by the dozen for a rather meager amount of food. This is the game where coming up with a more complex and cruel way to kill something is a daily goal. This is the game where "child care" is locking a kid in a room with a bunch of rabid animals to scar them, sir, this is not far enough.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 02:01:46 am »

i bite the inside of my cheek way to much to even think about trying it... on a related note a snake doesn't even need fangs to inject its venom to kill you, merely scratching you with its smaller teeth works just as well... the venom mixes with their saliva and gives them a nice poison covering... much like a spike trap and a contact poison in DF..

i don't believe a spike trap can actually inject poisons but then again i haven't used them that often.

Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:50:19 am »

i bite the inside of my cheek way to much to even think about trying it... on a related note a snake doesn't even need fangs to inject its venom to kill you, merely scratching you with its smaller teeth works just as well... the venom mixes with their saliva and gives them a nice poison covering... much like a spike trap and a contact poison in DF..

i don't believe a spike trap can actually inject poisons but then again i haven't used them that often.

They don't need them to inject, but they are they normal path the venom takes; they're like syringes.

And correct, venom is harmless to the digestion system, it will pass without issue. It's only if venom enters the bloodstream that it causes any problems.

Poison can be absorbed digestively, to make up a word:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 06:07:59 am »

They should become Spider-Dwarfs. With great power comes great mandates, and all.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 02:13:41 pm »

I loaded a save, cut a horse up and threw him in the venom well.

He remained unaffected. Oh well! enough venom well research for me.
I have an art blog now.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 02:18:03 pm »

I'm guessing that injection is currently something very specific that can only happen in the mouths of creatures with the relevant tags, and no amount of rubbing venom into cuts will help.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 02:25:06 pm »

They should become Spider-Dwarfs. With great power comes great mandates, and all.

Spider dwaarf, spider dwaarf, does whatever a spider-dwarf should do!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: [1] 2