Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2259313 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Agreed on that front, and yes indeedly the spawn are quite nasty without decapitation/head damage to help mitigate things.

Note however my testing was done exclusively with weapons and armor intended to make combat a hell of alot more brutal and effective, respectively. I have no idea how vanilla weaponry would fare against the new spawn, but I do know blunt weapons are right the fuck out for fighting them unless there's no other options.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Incidentally, rather than give railguns a bayonette or use them as maces in CQB, they should totally just have an electrocution-like attack where you jab the enemy with the rails and complete the circuit.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Don't think electrocution effects are an option, or really any effect other than 'solid implement, possibly sharpened, of a certain size and mass, is rammed into a bodypart at a certain speed'.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

I was thinking something temperature-based, actually. Basically just vaporize the affected part, but I can see how that would be hard to do.

I apologize for all the unworkable ideas.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was thinking something temperature-based, actually. Basically just vaporize the affected part, but I can see how that would be hard to do.

I apologize for all the unworkable ideas.

:V I'd rather people give ideas that they're not sure are workable than not give input at all. I'm sorry if I sounded snippy.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it would work in theory if the railgun is composed of a special material that delivers some form of paralytic syndrome or otherwise causes the affected unit to burst into flames when jabbed into someone and the skin is torn. Tedious as fuck but I've seen it work somewhere. Dunno if it needed DFhack though.

Of course, the problem there is that if a spawn is on top of a railgunner, then chances are that gunner is already as good as dead.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do solid objects cause contact syndromes now? Last I checked it had to be a coating of some sort on one of the unit's bodyparts for the syndrome to activate.

I have absolutely no idea what crazy things DFHack can do on the modding front unfortunately :V

E:

Also, courtesy link to the discord chat since there isn't one on this page:

We've created a Discord channel to discuss things! Feel free to join! https://discord.gg/0g2sUaS4K5R68cpr
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:41:20 pm by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I remember now. It did need it unfortunately (I think it was needed to deliberately add coatings to stuff yourself, ala masterwork's rune armor inscriptions for example.)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Which had a couple issues, of course. The FB art thread had a couple Masterwork ones made out of rune-coating, since it had to be a material.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gonna get started on the jackborgs now, so I'd like to know what sort of process people would prefer in order to make one. My current plan is for the result of the process to be a 'nanite paste' which, when ingested by a dwarf, will slowly convert their organ systems to cybernetics over the course of two agonising weeks (with a chance of just straight-up killing them due to system shock/an error/what-have-you), but I'm not sure exactly what people would be willing to do to get it, basically. I've never played much with this kind of thing.

E: Also, jackborgs will have various drawbacks, such as hazardous blood (since it's full of nanites which aren't exactly capable of distinguishing between their parent cyborg and normal dwarf flesh, and will helpfully cannibalise the latter in an attempt to make way for the former) and extremely slow learning (so that you can't just cyborgise a bunch of fresh recruits and have them kick ass right away -- they have to be at least semi-experienced).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:11:37 pm by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to say no to slow learning except as a byproduct of a failed paste augmentation. It kind of defeats the purpose when augmenting them nets you what is basically a tiny troll.

Frankly I'm more of a syndrome cloud person though, since it doesn't require a whole lot of finicky stockpile management and partitioning forts and burrows and shit just to get one asshole to eat the damned paste.

My idea was more needing a whole bunch of parts made that need expensive materials, or materials that may need to be imported - such as pitchblende to make the batteries that make thier artificial organs go, and having the desired recruit run the reaction at the jackborg center. The main bonuses are physical, with no increases or decreases in learning ability.

Of course they could coexist, with the nanite paste being the lazy and less efficient route since it can potentially kill the recruit or make him dumb as a brick if it doesn't work, and proper "surgery" getting the desired outcome at a higher cost in materials. Although such a paste I feel would necessitate fully implementing stranded Parasolians to get it from via trade, since it's one thing to make a magnet gun and clunky artifical organs, and another to produce microscopic robots.

Because remember, just cause we have lots of shiny new toys we can make, doesn't mean we're really on par with the likes of Parasol or Ballpoint in terms of overall technology.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking of Parasol and Ballpoint, is there an easy way to access the lore of Spearbreakers ?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NNnnnot particularly. Just old notes and whatnot.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

it's one thing to make a magnet gun

The main difficulty with those- And I'm still not sure if it's a magnet gun or a rail gun-, is the power source. You need something to give you a whole bunch of instantaneous amperage, which in conventional terms means a very large capacitor bank. The actual energy to run it is easily doable with simple waterwheel generators or something we can handwave, but the capacitors are quite hard to do, especially on a small scale. Everything else is mostly just strong, light, nonconductive materials and some conductive stuff.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ehh, think I'm just going to pass on modding the jackborgs since they seem to be outside of my modding capabilities at present. Sorry folks.

Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 815