Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2253972 times)

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9330 on: October 24, 2013, 10:16:38 am »

If I remember correctly, frog moss has had effects ranging from nausea and vomiting to increased skill gain and delusions. Overdosing can cause strange temporary personality changes.

We could try to put a syndrome in the drink that causes those effects, but I don't know if drinking a syndrome liquid transfers the syndrome.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9331 on: October 24, 2013, 10:22:23 am »

If I remember correctly, frog moss has had effects ranging from nausea and vomiting to increased skill gain and delusions. Overdosing can cause strange temporary personality changes.

We could try to put a syndrome in the drink that causes those effects, but I don't know if drinking a syndrome liquid transfers the syndrome.

Seeing as you get vampirism by drinking vampire blood it should be possible to make a drink that has a syndrome. [SYN_INGESTED] is the necessary tag I think.

I have to commend you all for this thread. It is true dwarfy madness. It is on par with Boatmurdered for reading enjoyment.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: October 24, 2013, 10:31:08 am »

I've looked it up and it should be possible. I'll see if I can make some raws and test them out. I'll post them if they work.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: October 24, 2013, 10:35:20 am »

We already do have frog moss in the SB mod. I'm just worried about what it'll do to my workers.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: October 24, 2013, 11:45:15 am »

First mention of the effects of frog moss:

The cave moss experiment was a failure. I’m still tasting sounds and have only recently started to regain feeling in my extremities.
On the plus side, the potent neurotoxic and psychoactive effects give me hope that, once I’ve isolated the active compound, we’ll be able to make millions selling the stuff for military and recreational purposes.

So, numbness/paralysis and sensory hallucinations. Yummy. Guess increased skill gain was a later addition?

Also, holy wow was Mr Frog's characterisation different way back when. He was still an ill-tempered self-absorbed cynic with a badly-defective moral compass, mind, but he also had this sort of dissonant optimism that was rather-creepy IMHO. Wish I/we had kept that.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: October 24, 2013, 01:28:25 pm »

So I think that in the course of six hours of nonstop playing yesterday, I've got the gist of dwarf fortress again, so when the new thread starts, I'll definitely be there for a turn. I still haven't gotten into half of the farming stuff or any of the newer features, but the thing that really bothers me is this: I have a stone stockpile marked and thirty or so idling dwarves. WHY WON'T THEY PICK UP ANY OF THE STONE LYING AROUND.

So yeah... frog moss...
What do you think? Yes? No?

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: October 24, 2013, 02:04:04 pm »

It was either skill gain or increased speed, and it was mentioned in (I think) one of the later journals.
Both skill gain and speed increases can be done with syndromes. I like the idea of frog moss having a beneficial effect, in addition to the numbness and hallucinations. I also like how frog moss is now almost canon.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:14:00 pm by Cynm »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: October 24, 2013, 02:20:26 pm »

Frogmoss sounds sorta like booze in one mod verson of DF.

DFFS.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: October 24, 2013, 03:12:12 pm »

WHY WON'T THEY PICK UP ANY OF THE STONE LYING AROUND.

My immediate thought is that you have the stockpile in question marked to use wheelbarrows but don't actually have any wheelbarrows.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: October 24, 2013, 03:14:55 pm »

They still haul to it then.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: October 24, 2013, 03:23:24 pm »

Numbness could be seen as a good thing in itself, seeing as how it makes the victim immune to pain.

E: Also, gotta love how two of our formerly-most-active contributors have now returned after the fortress has already ended (three if you count that I'm now posting and contributing to discussion regularly again, and consider me to have been at some point 'active').

EE: Also, Asea is both spelling and punctuating correctly and has just managed to possibly correct me on a gameplay fact. *sniff* I'm so proud.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:27:09 pm by Mr Frog »

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: October 24, 2013, 04:45:39 pm »

It could be that the stockpile is set to only take stone from a specific source. Also, I think that when a stockpile has wheelbarrows, dwarves will only use the wheelbarrows to haul stuff. So it could be that stone is being hauled, just not by everyone. I would try unassigning the wheelbarrows.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: October 24, 2013, 04:54:00 pm »

EE: Also, Asea is both spelling and punctuating correctly and has just managed to possibly correct me on a gameplay fact. *sniff* I'm so proud.
Did not know that it was at that point yet. I blame SS13.
And my refusal to bring wheelbarrows with me on embark.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: October 24, 2013, 07:27:18 pm »

This is embarrassing. I was going to save my fortress when I accidentally abandoned it... maybe I was the one on frog moss...
What do you think? Yes? No?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: October 24, 2013, 07:32:45 pm »

Oh god, ever see something you did once and just scream at how bad it is?

Well, i saw a post I made around six months ago...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 815