Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2254012 times)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #9120 on: September 26, 2013, 05:31:40 pm »

Caught up on the thread, or at least the main updates and some of the side stories.  Rather sad how a lot of the main characters are incapacitated or dead at this point.  I am left wondering how you guys are going to close things down.

How many FBs were generated at world start, and how many have you killed?  At the rate you seem to be going, there might not bee too many more left if Dauros and a few of the other soldiers manage to stick it out.

If time permits, I'm going to try and make a nice piece of supplemental record keeping for the fortress, although it may take a week or so, and will only be up to date as of the last save, and will only account for in game dwarven characters.  We shall see... 

RIP Splint.  That was a bit unexpected.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: September 26, 2013, 05:36:11 pm »

Honestly I didn't see the second spawn that killed him until I read the report. Turns out He'd actually bowled it over to hit the one that had just offed Thornback, Telgin, and Rose and it moved so it could stand up, as per the AI dictates it do if possible. He was actually doing very well as he'd only gotten some bruises from direct clawings up to that point.

And if you'd like to do so than go for it Grimmash! Any and all fan activity is appreciated. :)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: September 26, 2013, 08:30:54 pm »

Ok, after trying to make sense of the last few turns and saves, does anyone have a recent-ish save that follows the canon play-through?  Preferably as close to current as possible?

I need it for stupidly complex fan-submission purposes, and the closer to up to date, the better.  Also, has the deceased list been dfhacked?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9123 on: September 26, 2013, 09:27:25 pm »

Several times to clear out the piles upon piles of  unimportant deaths but it keeps shooting back up into the thousands quickly. Also the dwarves/other particularly noteworthy enemies aren't removed.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: September 27, 2013, 06:20:27 am »

22nd Hematite, 211

That stupid prat Russet made another mandate for leather body armor and Sus apparently won the election for mayor despite not even running. I've rectified that on the grounds that Simon's too incompetent to do anything else except stay behind a desk and listen to diplomats complain. Saard's pet lamb was put down; we have enough stupid animals around as is, and I've ordered the last of the fields be left fallow after the last silver barb harvest comes in. Not like we need the food or anything with our current massive reserves of the delicious edibles and huge stock of booze.

I also had some more pikes made for back-ups in case we're short on them (I hadn't bothered to check.) Corai told me that the steel stocks are depleted now though since the last batch was finished.

24th Hematite, 211

Rodge says we're actually out of loose boulders to make shit out of. Good. If we need more we can always dig some more out. And the others said putting everyone on blockcutter duty was a stupid idea.

19th Malachite, 211

It took some doing, but I managed to jam everyone into that damned training room and didn't let them out until they knew what the hell they were doing. Only times there weren't in there was at the end of the training day. Poor sods were always famished and dizzyingly sober and sore, but they'll fare better because of it.

They've been out since the 12th of this month, and it looks like they barely beat the rush, as the plainswalkers came to play again.

It isn't much, just another scouting force by the looks of things. What is worrisome is that damned giant bird the leader of the group is riding. or maybe its's just my hate for things with wings. Regardless, The Morningstars volunteered to take them on. I can only hope the training room's use paid off.

-

It was less of a battle and more of a massacre. A bunch of us watched from The Fist and you could hear the bones breaking all the way up there. However after the battle, Kreia told me something... Distressing. These humans weren't the ones who've been hitting us. They bore an entirely different symbol and wore yellow and white quartered uniforms instead of the mismatched mess of gear the others had. She says she's seen these soldiers before.

[I... I don't even... How... Guys I think we broke the game somehow, so I will conclude this disturbing information with a flat wat.]

She says they're from oddly named Empire of Confederacy. She and the other sergeants think they may have some kind of mutual offensive/defensive pact or something with The Copper Realm. It's the only justification we can think of for them to attack the fortress, So we now have two human armies pissed at us. Awesome.

Short and lacking in detail, but I just... I don't even... We somehow broke the game and now have two human civs attacking us. The Morningstars did well and completely demolished the scouting force, hitting one guy in the face so hard his teeth flew up most of the Fist of Rage's height. Also it seems even when tripping over eachother in a tiny room, danger rooms are still wonderfully effective when one needs elite soldiers raised quickly. Took a while though because I had to burrow them in groups and then activate them to get it accomplished.

I still don't know what to make of this. Not only have we had two moods defy all logic and fail in spite of the moody dorfs having all the shit they wanted, we now have two human civs trying to kill us. I can only think we're getting dangerously close to save corruption as a result of this. Oh and the ridiculous amount of blocks to use for whatever the fuck we feel like now.

So congrats guys, we have officially made this game lose what little grasp on logic and reason it still clung to.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9125 on: September 27, 2013, 06:36:22 am »

Let them come.
So sayeth LFTON, Dreamer and sergeant of the Wardens!

(Also, this turn of events requires music of a high Audiomantic calibre.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: September 27, 2013, 07:08:23 am »

Oh, Skullgirls - I knew i forgot to buy a game that I wanted.

Also, yeah - inspecting Tomio's save, all I could find was that the other humans border our civ to the south, where Gugiromon shares a border to the north.

There doesn't appear to be interaction between the two human civs in game that I could find, so it's likely the game just pulled the other humans out of nowhere.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #9127 on: September 27, 2013, 12:38:15 pm »

-Following is an image of a sword whith a cutting edge made of tiny serrated discs, Splint Lokumeshesh and Mr Frog Spishabtham in dimple ink. Splint Lokumeshesh is handing the sword to Mr Frog Spishabsham. Mr Frog Spishabsham is taking the sword and thinking.-

Dwarven Chainsaw? Even voidspawn can't beat that...right?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: September 27, 2013, 02:10:42 pm »

-Following is an image of a sword whith a cutting edge made of tiny serrated discs, Splint Lokumeshesh and Mr Frog Spishabtham in dimple ink. Splint Lokumeshesh is handing the sword to Mr Frog Spishabsham. Mr Frog Spishabsham is taking the sword and thinking.-

The more I see that the more I think that's some kind of particularly nasty breed of holistic spawn. Also guys?

What the fuck is this shit? I never played an adventurer of that name, and we were attacked out of the blue for literally no reason. Guys? Is the game starting to fuck with us or am I just finally completely losing my shit?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: September 27, 2013, 02:30:32 pm »

The more I see that the more I think that's some kind of particularly nasty breed of holistic spawn. Also guys?

What the fuck is this shit? I never played an adventurer of that name, and we were attacked out of the blue for literally no reason. Guys? Is the game starting to fuck with us or am I just finally completely losing my shit?

I even found a holistic spawn about the same time as Sankis that was viewed as a HERO by some human civs. That could be why The Empire is attacking us.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: September 27, 2013, 03:20:26 pm »

Hey, the squad I was in kicked ass! When I read massacre, I pictured something entirely different...

Grimmash, that project doesn't happen to be a replica of a certain fort, built in a certain block-based sandbox, would it? Because if it isn't, I may have a new project. If it is, I won't touch it. It turns out I'm not much of a writer, but I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of this (over more than a year :o) and I still feel the need to contribute.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: September 27, 2013, 05:09:06 pm »

If you wanna contribute to something i intend to start a new story fort to fill the void left by the loss of my two community things )In my sig, plug plug.) Haven't quite decided on what I wanna play though modwise. Might do Masterwork but I still like Civilization Forge... Anyways yeah.

Also if someone does build a replica of Spearbreakers in another game, I'll draw them something of their choosing relevant to the fort. Might not be a great prize, but still.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: September 27, 2013, 07:17:42 pm »

No, I am not trying to recreate Spearbreakers in Minecraft :).  I have started a rather fun way of keeping track of dwarves (Migration, births, deaths, notable events, artifacts) in my own forts, and I want to do the same for Spearbreakers.  That is why I am fishing for a recent save to comb over.  I was hoping to use some database scouring to get at the relevant detail, but so far it looks like my slower and current method of using in-game info may be the only... reliable way of doing so.

So Splint, if you have a recent-ish save, I'd greatly appreciate a copy.  Then in a week or two I should have a nice historic record of the inhabitants of Spearbreakers.  The closer to current it is, the less work I will have to do scouring the forums, and I will be able to present the work.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: September 27, 2013, 07:47:36 pm »

Well the year's half finished so if you feel like waiting we still have stories and planning and such for when official gameplay ends for you to post it.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: September 27, 2013, 09:23:24 pm »

Whatever works.  My plan is to essentially wait for whenever another save gets posted.  I tried tracing back through the posts, but between all the aborted turns, and your multi-year multi-dorf succession, it was getting tedious to find  what I was looking for (a save that is still viable for a few months with judicious dfhackery if needed and close to the current turn).  This is obviously a me problem, not a thread problem :).  I also won't be touching on the out of game, in-canon stuff.  Once I finish my almanac/history thingy, I'll open it up, or maybe wikify it for others to refer to/build off of/add to.
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 815