Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2254288 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #8685 on: June 27, 2013, 06:43:57 pm »

Either the 1st Squad Survivors really are eating the souls of all they kill or the spawn are getting weaker.

I suspect dwarven legend will claim the former, as it makes them a tiny bit more terrifying.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: June 27, 2013, 06:48:17 pm »

I am officially scared of Skitara. She single-handedly killed three spawn. On one of them, she kicked its right upper arm (and presumably everything below) off. On another, she punched it in the heart, killing it instantly.

Pretty much everyone in First Squad are that strong. Fischer easily kills them, or at least would if she wasn't bedridden. Same with Draignean.
Awl was a squaddy of Skitara's, who killed the mountain barbarian general Okol Tiklomnekol, but got killed. Jack Magnus I was just barely below Skitara's level. Same with Pokonic. Dauros kicked a spawn's hand clean off once.

So who was the First Squad as of my reign?
Fischer - incapacitated
Draignean - incapacitated
Dauros - On duty as the New Fischer
Awl - killed in action
Pokonic - Killed in action
Jack Magnus - Killed in action
Skitara - On duty

That's only seven - surely there's more?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: June 27, 2013, 06:50:58 pm »

Pokonic and Jack were in Paintbrush's squad weren't they? If not then nope, the squad has been worn down to Two functioning dwarves through sheer attrition and bad luck and never had more than them in it.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: June 27, 2013, 06:52:02 pm »

I am officially scared of Skitara. She single-handedly killed three spawn. On one of them, she kicked its right upper arm (and presumably everything below) off. On another, she punched it in the heart, killing it instantly.

Pretty much everyone in First Squad are that strong. Fischer easily kills them, or at least would if she wasn't bedridden. Same with Draignean.
Awl was a squaddy of Skitara's, who killed the mountain barbarian general Okol Tiklomnekol, but got killed. Jack Magnus I was just barely below Skitara's level. Same with Pokonic. Dauros kicked a spawn's hand clean off once.

Fischer - incapacitated
Awl - killed in action
Skitara - On duty

Not even Dauros can be the New Fischer.
Close, but not quite.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: June 27, 2013, 06:53:15 pm »

Fischer - incapacitated
Awl - killed in action
Skitara - On duty

I added one, my rationale being that every good squad needs one new guy who either loses his innocence or gets killed brutally.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: June 27, 2013, 06:57:42 pm »

The squad needs to be reinforced badly. Draignean and Fischer can be left in to alleviate equipment issues since I'm positive there'd be some big huff with everyone stripping off and reequipping shit. Hell most of our heavy hitter squads are pretty much just skeleton crews at this point.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #8691 on: June 27, 2013, 07:03:20 pm »

The squad needs to be reinforced badly. Draignean and Fischer can be left in to alleviate equipment issues since I'm positive there'd be some big huff with everyone stripping off and reequipping shit. Hell most of our heavy hitter squads are pretty much just skeleton crews at this point.
Is it OK if I reorganize?
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8692 on: June 27, 2013, 07:13:07 pm »

If you think you can do it go for it, but I strongly advise leaving the nonconsequential units (civil defense, Fortress Guard) be.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: June 27, 2013, 07:21:48 pm »

Backup the save just in case, or don't be afraid to savescum. The military's uniforms are cobbled together and will break apart if so much of a single edit is done wrong. (Splint nearly leapt in the air when I wanted to promote PBT to First Squad as it'd ruin PBT's squad, as well as causing equipment issues)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: June 27, 2013, 07:55:56 pm »

I actually thought "Are you stupid?" but the reasoning were the exact same. I considered trying to fix their uniforms, mostly to reduce the weight they had to lug around and so we could move people around as needed, but the sheer enormity actually humbled me.

Examples of what went wrong include for no reason a new guy I assigned to a squad carrying a crossbow when he should have had a pike, as they're set to carry whatever they prefer instead of a single standard weapon along with said standard issue weapon.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8695 on: June 27, 2013, 09:10:40 pm »

EDIT: Naturally, shortly afterwards, my computer crashed. Luckily, I had saved from before the ambush.
DOUBLEEDIT: This time around, she killed the exact same spawn by scratching it.

Presumably Fischer has learned to telepathically control others from her coma. She'd never let little annoyances like the lack of a functioning body stop her from kicking ass. (Fischer's still comatose, right? Fort updates are so sparse I can't keep track of what's going on.)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: June 27, 2013, 09:17:31 pm »

She is indeed comatose but given the amount of badassery invested in her, I wouldn't doubt that in the slightest.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: June 27, 2013, 09:56:29 pm »

I did have an idea to use for writing similar to Fischer being telepathic, but now it's been thrown out there...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: June 28, 2013, 03:33:51 am »

It's the last days of the year, and we are facing a large spawn siege. Most of them were taken out by the spikewalk, and the entirety of the first company, with the 3rd squadron of the second company providing cover fire, are ready to deal with the rest.

EDIT: DFFD wasn't working, so I used filedropper.
My Turn
BTW, Thornback was killed during a human siege. The only other injuries from said siege were broken bones.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:00:34 am by tahujdt »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8699 on: June 28, 2013, 07:02:19 am »

From Talvieno - I was testing adventure mode and came across a bunch of llamas attacking each other... the spawnified domestics still had the domestic tags, and, as they also had the "crazed" tag, it had started a loyalty cascade. I made the mistake of hitting one of the spawnified Llamas with a vampiric silver serrated disc from a serrated disc launcher and got absolutely pulverized by the furry monsters and was dead before I had a chance to move. Obviously I still have stuff to work out...
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 815