Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Becoming a necromancer  (Read 16718 times)

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
Becoming a necromancer
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:40:56 pm »

Hey people, how do I become a necromancer? So far all I know is they live in lairs, and on the second floor (I think) there are tons of zombies. This is what I've read because I can never find a necro tower, are they closer to capitals and are there any recommended tactics for clearing their towers or do I just run in and throw corpses of children around?
When I was younger, I was a baby.
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Becoming a necromancer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 01:42:41 pm »

Read a slab you'll find in a tower

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 01:46:14 pm »

Read a slab you'll find in a tower
Okay, how do I find towers though? Do they appear on the map or do I have to actually adventure like some kind of adventuring adventurer?
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 01:48:35 pm »

purple I on the fast travel map
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 01:50:05 pm »

purple I on the fast travel map
Thanks.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 02:00:35 pm »

necro towers look like purple "I"s on the map, go to one and try not to have too much FUN or you might just become part of the FUN. look for an artifact type item that is a slab, when examined it should say "secrets of life and death" that or pick up all the books with "death" in the name and read those, some of them might give you the animate reaction as well.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 02:03:33 pm »

You can also look in Legends mode and see if you have any demons living in human fortresses around the world authoring books about how to raise the dead. This is a vastly easier approach, since the fortress occupants are probably friendly to you, and therefore could be considered much less rewarding.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 02:07:07 pm »

be a man, bum rush the tower and cut down all the necromancers inside and slowly work the zombies to death :D
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 02:40:55 pm »

I can't seem to find a tower, I did find one but a river was in the way so I jumped in and got carp'd and unfortunately bled to death after escaping. The second time I looked for a tower I got distracted by a river again after I found out I could attack from land and jump in, I bit a milkfish in the head and stabbed it in the eye with my copper spear. It got lodged in the hole so I let go and repeatedly punched it in the fins until I got carp'd.  :'(

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 02:46:25 pm »

are you playing as an outsider or anything other then a demigod? i'v never been carped before and i'v even accidentally charged into one in the river, fell into the river and i was wondering why the hell my guy just ran strait into the river instead of needing me to alt move, looked back and i had chopped the carp that was sitting there in half.

Protesilaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 06:15:28 pm »

I got really lucky, played a dwarf for a couple days and was attacked by a Necromancer, who had a slab on him containing the Secrets of Life and Death.  So I took it from his body and became a Necromancer.  I then went on to kill 3 dragons and raised them.  I then went to a human town and realized that they don't take kindly to giant zombie dragons (or the dragons didn't take kindly to them).  Although it didn't change my status with them.  I am a legendary hero.

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 04:04:34 am »

are you playing as an outsider or anything other then a demigod? i'v never been carped before and i'v even accidentally charged into one in the river, fell into the river and i was wondering why the hell my guy just ran strait into the river instead of needing me to alt move, looked back and i had chopped the carp that was sitting there in half.
I always start as a human in funky named villages and I always choose demigod, but when I get carped there's usually around 5 carp and a few milkfish. I haven't been getting carped much though since my recent adventurer survived a bogeyman attack just outside a town.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 09:10:55 am »

Is the reader skill necessary, I was quite disappointed when I couldn't read any of the books, albeit I did not find any slabs.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 10:39:21 am »

You need at least Novice reader skill. You can, however, mod the knapping reaction to train the reading skill or something along those lines. (The skill token is READING, btw.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 12:49:38 pm »

does reading a slab in a tomb work too?
Pages: [1] 2