Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can someone generate me a world that is in the "Age of Death"?  (Read 4843 times)

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can someone generate me a world that is in the "Age of Death"?
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:22:29 pm »

In this latest version I'm having trouble killing off all civs in world gen. A save of a pocket world in the age of death would be appreciated.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone generate me a world that is in the "Age of Death"?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:35:51 pm »

Just take away their ability to reproduce (remove the female caste), and give goblins and elves a maxage.  That's a guaranteed age of death in any worldgen you want.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:20:29 pm »

How would I go about doing that? I've tried just removing the tags in the creature_standard, but when I try to generate a world it says it cannot place a playable civilization.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:34:52 pm »

Hmm... try going into the advanced world generation parameters, and when you get to the line about "Playable Civilization Required" say "no".  It's on the bottom of the next-to-last page. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:54:54 pm »

That makes an adventurer-only world.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:14:13 pm »

Yup, that's an age of death, alright.

Age of death is respected in fortress mode - you cannot start a fortress in an age of death.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 10:16:35 pm »

Is that right? I thought the embark dwarfs were separate from world gen dwarfs?

I should have clarified that I intend to play fortress mode in this world. Is it the age of emptiness that I am looking for then?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:18:08 pm by Brightgalrs »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 10:31:46 pm »

Nope, Age of Emptiness is just like the Age of Death, except everything is dead, not just civ creatures.  (Well, except for plants, which aren't quite tracked like that, and I think vermin don't count, either, but still, you've wiped out anything bigger than a mouse, which is a pretty major thing.)

The best you can do is just turn back on the dwarves, and then take away their trade caravans so they never come to bother you.

"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 10:36:00 pm »

I suppose I can live with embarking on a deserted island...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:53:32 pm »

Nope, Age of Emptiness is just like the Age of Death, except everything is dead, not just civ creatures.  (Well, except for plants, which aren't quite tracked like that, and I think vermin don't count, either, but still, you've wiped out anything bigger than a mouse, which is a pretty major thing.)

The best you can do is just turn back on the dwarves, and then take away their trade caravans so they never come to bother you.

Either you're wrong or the wiki is wrong. The wiki says the "Age of Death" is when all civilization has crumbled but civilized beings are still alive, like the zombie apocalypse. The "Age of Emptiness" is when all civilized beings have died, which I assume also means the civilizations have crumbled.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 01:56:46 am »

Either you're wrong or the wiki is wrong. The wiki says the "Age of Death" is when all civilization has crumbled but civilized beings are still alive, like the zombie apocalypse. The "Age of Emptiness" is when all civilized beings have died, which I assume also means the civilizations have crumbled.

Hmmm... It's possible I'm wrong, but at the same time, there has been not that much testing in that regard.  I remember only one thread that really tried to seriously go the route of killing every creature in the world.  (A link to it was in someone's sig a while ago...)  That would have the answer.

EDIT: Actually, it turns out that I just created a world with no civ creatures and... it's an Age of Myth.  I'll need to test this again while somehow killing off the megabeasts and such.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:02:37 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 02:17:35 am »

OK, here we go - no civs placed at all results in an Age of Emptiness from the start.

Age of Death or Age of Emptiness both result in no ability to start a fortress.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 05:44:59 pm »

OK, here we go - no civs placed at all results in an Age of Emptiness from the start.

Age of Death or Age of Emptiness both result in no ability to start a fortress.
I've updated the wiki. It seems if world generation ends in the Age of Emptiness it only allows legends mode. If it ends in the Age of Death it only allows adventure mode and legends mode.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:13:01 pm by Brightgalrs »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 07:34:03 pm »

Nope, Age of Emptiness still allows an adventurer.  You can be an adventurer from "off map" somewhere.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 09:24:15 pm »

Nope, Age of Emptiness still allows an adventurer.  You can be an adventurer from "off map" somewhere.
I am pretty sure I've gotten some worlds where it is legends-only. I wonder what causes it.
Nevermind, that's what happens when you delete all civilizations from the raws.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:33:47 pm by Brightgalrs »
Pages: [1] 2