Small Forums
- 20 (38.5%)
Large Forums
- 5 (9.6%)
It doesn't matter to me.
- 27 (51.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Small Forums vs Large Forums: Which do you prefer?  (Read 2577 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Small Forums vs Large Forums: Which do you prefer?
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:20:07 am »

Alright, I am sure I am not the only extreme forumite here. I've been a member of perhaps dozens of forums, and I see that one of the largest (if not THE largest) factors in the personality of a forum's community is how large that community is.

So I ask you, do you prefer small forums or large ones? Each, obviously, has its ups and downs. Explain why? After that, do you think of Bay12 as a large or small forum?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Small Forums vs Large Forums: Which do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:22:29 am »

I uh, don't care?

Well actually I do. I don't like forums that move at the speed of light. Forums for high profile games (world of warcraft, etc) are pretty much the very biggest I can stand. Stuff like 4chan is completely out of the question.

If I can't read a thread I'm interested in before 2+ more threads I'm interested in pops up, then it's entirely too big. Thus, I checked "small forums."

And I'd consider bay12 a "small forum," though I'm part of much smaller ones elsewhere.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:24:30 am »

Thank you for reminding me that some people genuinely don't care :P I added that option to the poll.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:27:41 am »

I like larger forums, fast moving ones. Ones with lots of things I can reply to... But more then that, I want civilized. Most forums are a never ending shitstorm of yelling and memes next to bay12.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:34:58 am »

Too small is annoying because there's not enough to read/reply to.
Too large is annoying because you can't keep up with what's being posted.

Therefore, "Don't Care", meaning "Neither".

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:37:30 am »

Which do you prefer?

Small enough that people generally know each other. I'd generally prefer to have meaningful discussions with people than simply take turns spamming one-liners that nobody reads.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 06:49:13 am »

I like my forums lagom.
Love, scriver~

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:01:16 am »

Erm, is Bay12 considered large? I don't really have a proper reference point to compare it to.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 08:06:10 am »

I consider Bay12 to be small, and I like it that way.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 08:39:24 am »

I like larger forums, fast moving ones. Ones with lots of things I can reply to... But more then that, I want civilized. Most forums are a never ending shitstorm of yelling and memes next to bay12.

Seconded.  I like there to be enough to read that it stays interesting.

I was part of a smaller forum once, had maybe 8 truly active people.  It was a great community, but when one of them quit everyone felt it.  The forum only lasted about a year before a few people stopped showing up and it ground to a halt.  I like a little more resilience.

Civility is the most important thing though.

All in all, the Bay 12 forums are just about exactly how I like it.  Most of the people are smart and civil, and there's usually something to read / respond to if I refresh the updated replies list.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 09:19:38 am »

I like whatever this forum is classified as.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 11:52:50 am »

Small but lively.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 11:56:49 am »

I like whatever this forum is classified as.

I feel like this. I don't know what is this forum is, but it is about the right size. It miiiight be a bit too big for my tastes sometimes, especially the FGaRP section, where I used to read most posts, and now I read almost none.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 12:08:06 pm »

I don't think its the size that really matters to me but the community that populates it.

Most multiplayer game forums tend to be filled with utter drivel for example so I tend to shy away from them.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 01:04:10 pm »

Doesn't really matter to me, though I should probably have checked 'small', given that the only forums I use are this and the pony forum. I was fairly active on the Bungie.net offtopic forum years ago, but was repeatedly banned for accidentally trolling the morons in the upper boards, and as a whole, it was too populated and too harshly restricted.

I think it depends on both population and how it is managed; B12 is larger than most, but still feels small, with the added bonus of not having hordes of tin pot dictator-moderators who abuse their powers whenever the admins aren't on.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2