Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this odd?  (Read 1149 times)

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is this odd?
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:01:50 pm »

I was tapping the magma sea, using a new method I read about on here, though in hindsight it was for tapping a magma pipe, not the sea, but I digress....

My two legendary miners (2 of the 7) burnt to a crisp.

Mr. Mason/McMechanic -Expedition Leader (currently in negotiations with the mountainhomes) goes berserk over the loss. (I mean who wouldn't right? Two legends in one accident)

I order my hodge podge militia (as I am no expert at military management/ organization) to kill the berserker.

So, they went to take a nap.

Instead my flock of 20 or so untrained, non pet dogs swarm him, bite him, latch on and tore him to pieces (thats my take) is that normal for dogs, that are not even war dogs?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Is this odd?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:11:56 pm »

I was tapping the magma sea, using a new method I read about on here, though in hindsight it was for tapping a magma pipe, not the sea, but I digress....

My two legendary miners (2 of the 7) burnt to a crisp.

Mr. Mason/McMechanic -Expedition Leader (currently in negotiations with the mountainhomes) goes berserk over the loss. (I mean who wouldn't right? Two legends in one accident)

I order my hodge podge militia (as I am no expert at military management/ organization) to kill the berserker.

So, they went to take a nap.

Instead my flock of 20 or so untrained, non pet dogs swarm him, bite him, latch on and tore him to pieces (thats my take) is that normal for dogs, that are not even war dogs?

Dogs are by nature fighting animals in DF, and will attack hostiles on sight to protect the dwarves and other livestock, regardless of being trained or not. being trained just makes them harder to kill, and they "Know" where to aim thier bits and sctraches and are now more physically capable.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:24 pm »

ok thanks

been fortunate not to have many berserkers period, let alone open to the public.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:17:54 pm »

ok thanks

been fortunate not to have many berserkers period, let alone open to the public.

Not a problem.
I have dogs and thier pups trailing my soldiers around and the pups will fight as viciously as the parents.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 01:50:15 am »

Wasn't there a story about a female war dog that gave birth to a litter of pups in the middle of battling a siege, and the pups proceeded to kill the gobbo that was trouncing their mother?

* makes a note to breed lots of war dogs *
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:51:24 am »

Wasn't there a story about a female war dog that gave birth to a litter of pups in the middle of battling a siege, and the pups proceeded to kill the gobbo that was trouncing their mother?

* makes a note to breed lots of war dogs *

Indeed, imortalized by the mad engraver Sankis.

On an Odd note, my Macedwarves are training with maces, and one became a marksdwarf as a result.

How the fuck....?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:52:09 am »

I could have sworn that happened with a dwarf.  Soldier rushed into battle, gives birth mid-fight, and then Fun.

Splint: Is this according the Therapist, or DF?  If Therapist, then ignore.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 01:54:50 am »

I could have sworn that happened with a dwarf.  Soldier rushed into battle, gives birth mid-fight, and then Fun.

Splint: Is this according the Therapist, or DF?  If Therapist, then ignore.

I dont use DT.
I'm still trying to grasp how a crossbow and mace are similar. The sergeant is a former hunter, and the more skilled of the mace pair I drafted was a zombie killer, with 40 zombie kills under his belt. he's leding a demonstration right now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 01:56:48 am »

Well, if he was a hunter and became skilled with his crossbow, then he's been ranking crossbow skill and counts as a marksdwarf.  That's simply a matter of "his past experience is stronger than his current training."  Also crossbow users in melee will train the mace skill, as bashing with a crossbow is apparently similar to using a mace.  Remember - these are dwarven crossbows.  Chances are very high that a dwarven crossbow is a spring-loaded mace.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 01:58:15 am »

Well, if he was a hunter and became skilled with his crossbow, then he's been ranking crossbow skill and counts as a marksdwarf.  That's simply a matter of "his past experience is stronger than his current training."  Also crossbow users in melee will train the mace skill, as bashing with a crossbow is apparently similar to using a mace.  Remember - these are dwarven crossbows.  Chances are very high that a dwarven crossbow is a spring-loaded mace.

The former hunter I get that, as they're coming up as a marksdwarf too.
This was a raw recruit. And I thought it was hammer skill the crossbow used?
And springloaded maces would be awesome.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 03:22:27 am »

yes, crossbow melee is hammer, bow and blowgun, swords.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time