Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zombie corpse disposal?  (Read 5710 times)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Zombie corpse disposal?
« on: February 22, 2012, 04:52:06 pm »

I was just wondering how people get rid of the aftermath of zombie invasions.

My current fortress is defended with a pit of stakes and a long, retractable bridge. When used on an invading force it creates the rather practical result of enemies impaling themselves in case my dwarves can't be bothered to take them on.

However: Having used this method on zombies, I've found that it is impossible to move the bodies. The pit is accessible via ramp and I have a garbage dump under the atomsmasher, but people. Won't. Pick. Them. Up. Which is a real problem because apparantly zombies break easily so basically I will have 100+ animated limbs clawing their way in (and crashing DF) when the next necromancer comes around. Any ideas as to why dumping might not work? Bug? Stupidity on my behalf?
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie corpse disposal?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:00:35 pm »

Are dwarves set to collect refuse from outdoors?

(Sort of the DF "is it plugged in".)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:05:35 pm »

Re-route river/brook to clean it out. Problem solved.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:09:14 pm »

Dig hole. Make bridge-access-only, underground.

Create dumping zone.

Kill zombie. Open bridges. Dump corpse.

Set marksmen on safe-side of bridge to kill any resurrected corpses beforehand dumping new load.

I had an epic zombie outbreak at one my fortresses yesterday. Pissed that I had no control over anything as it was over pretty quickly. A wolf zombie, or something, killed one of my dwarves. Not being too in-the-know about the zombie affect in the area, I was going to lay him to rest, then bam, zombie time on the burial guy on the burying guy. Before I knew it, zombies were charging at my folk in every direction, the dead rising too quickly before I could block them off, and whatnot.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 05:16:26 pm »

Well **** me. That seems to do the trick. I knew I was being braindead somehow - thank you! :D

Steelbreaths stock of corpses has gone from 142 to 9. Great succes!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:20:59 pm by FoiledFencer »
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:17:09 pm »

Dig hole. Make bridge-access-only, underground.

Create dumping zone.

Kill zombie. Open bridges. Dump corpse.

Set marksmen on safe-side of bridge to kill any resurrected corpses beforehand dumping new load.

I had an epic zombie outbreak at one my fortresses yesterday. Pissed that I had no control over anything as it was over pretty quickly. A wolf zombie, or something, killed one of my dwarves. Not being too in-the-know about the zombie affect in the area, I was going to lay him to rest, then bam, zombie time on the burial guy on the burying guy. Before I knew it, zombies were charging at my folk in every direction, the dead rising too quickly before I could block them off, and whatnot.

I love the epidemic-dynamic. It just descends so fast when they dig into the civillians.

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:38:44 am »

Somehow I think DF lacks a Funeral Pyre feature right now. I want an industrial strength furnace to incinerate undead leftovers :)

Btw, if you garbage dispose zombie bodies and body parts, do they remain on the map forever? Do you have to Atom Smash them?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 03:41:58 am »

Somehow I think DF lacks a Funeral Pyre feature right now. I want an industrial strength furnace to incinerate undead leftovers :)

You already have one. its right beneath your feet.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 03:43:48 am »

Well **** me. That seems to do the trick. I knew I was being braindead somehow - thank you! :D

I say that you use magma instead of hauling it all away once you get it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 03:50:05 am »

I'd really like undead to have some weaknesses that you can "build", like silver floors that burn/hurt vampires, water destroying undead or therelike (Yes, as always magma is the solution, but it would be more fun if it wouldn't be the only one).

Say you build a floor/coffins out of blessed Iron - making undead weaker and not come back as long as there corpse is on that.

Alternativly it would be great to have undead-pieces based on necro-power... a really really strong evil would make everything come back, from hair to skin, while a wanna-be, might only get animals of around dog size +/- 100 up.

OR the "Evil" gets X "resurrections" a year/month/moon cycle/based on region/based on people that die/based on blood on earth/based on dwarfs/based on secret necro-stones in the ground - and uses these on the biggest things first.

That would be nice...

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 03:50:34 am »

You already have one. its right beneath your feet.

True, I guess I haven't earned my DF wings yet as I have not pumped magma to the surface :) But it is a bit of a hassle having (to anyone not bred a truedorf) to dig into the molten core of the world in order to start a proper fire. I mean, steel flint and a pile of timber should cover my basic incineration needs when in a pinch.

@thtblovesDF agree. I hope that now when toady one included all the undeadyness he will also come up with more options for the players to deal with necromancers, zombies and husks. From what I read about husks, they don't sound fun at all presently. Just bothersome. Btw do vampires and werethings react to silver as the folklore suggests they should?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:53:19 am by Immacolata »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 03:51:42 am »

I'd really like undead to have some weaknesses that you can "build", like silver floors that burn/hurt vampires, water destroying undead or therelike (Yes, as always magma is the solution, but it would be more fun if it wouldn't be the only one).
Actually, against living zombies, magma is NOT the solution.
zombies can wade trough magma for a very long time, but once you kill them they can be evaporated again, i think.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 03:51:59 am »

This. Or, you know, dump in a pit and slam a drawbridge on it. Apparently Dwarven drawbridges don't obey thw whole "conservation of mass" hoopla of Human physics...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 11:05:40 am »

This. Or, you know, dump in a pit and slam a drawbridge on it. Apparently Dwarven drawbridges don't obey thw whole "conservation of mass" hoopla of Human physics...

Even if they did, I don't imagine that a Zombie Slushie has any grasping or biting abilities. We might do okay.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 11:13:38 am »

I burn the corpses. I have a big pit in which the corpses are dropped with roasting bonfires underneath. It's blocked off by a wall which is removed if the bonfires need to be lit.
Pages: [1] 2