Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire's fake name and Dwarf Therapist  (Read 9652 times)

paraxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire's fake name and Dwarf Therapist
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:39:35 am »

So, I found out that my militia captain is a vampire.
It seems that when vampires use a fake name, Therapist will show the real name along with the given nickname.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire's fake name and Dwarf Therapist
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:48:22 am »

Great! Simple way to do a preemptive strike with the spike traps then!
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:57:07 am »

Let him stop a siege.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

CantankerousTank

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 03:19:03 pm »

So, I found out that my militia captain is a vampire.
It seems that when vampires use a fake name, Therapist will show the real name along with the given nickname.
Confirming this.

I was going through my dorfs in Therapist and found a farmer who didn't seem to exist in-game. Went through my farmers in-game and found someone who wasn't listed in Therapist. All the other tests/clues (nickname test, long "former associates"-list, isolation/hunger test) came up positive as well.

Guess I have a new executioner...

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:19:56 pm »

Toady's fixing the whole 'can't change  vampires name or profession' next update.  Means we might not be able to find 'em so easily :D
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:21:19 pm »

Toady's fixing the whole 'can't change  vampires name or profession' next update.  Means we might not be able to find 'em so easily :D
But mayby therapist will still register them this way, toady cant fix that! (i think).
But im pretty sure that dwarfengineer will try and fix this.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »

DF therapist will need to fix the dwarf being displayed with their true name as well

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:34:00 pm »

Shit. this doesnt help me with my ghost vampire who keeps slaying my dorfs

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 03:39:23 pm »

The problem is that Therapist is lazy and only changes the nickname on the unit itself - it doesn't change the nickname on the unit's soul or on the unit's historical figure entry.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 04:56:23 pm »

The problem is that Therapist is lazy and only changes the nickname on the unit itself - it doesn't change the nickname on the unit's soul or on the unit's historical figure entry.

That explains A LOT. I was so confused when some of my nicknames show up in certain screens, and didn't in others. I don't use therapist until I hit 40 or so dwarves, but everyone gets a nickname right off the bat based on what jobs they'll be doing. That explains why my dwarves that I name in therapist don't get named completely.

Quietust, have you, or anyone else asked DwarfEngineer to fix this? I know the new therapist coders probably have their hands full right now, but that would be a big help.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 03:49:05 am »

This trick doesn't always work... I nicknamed all my living dwarfs in Therapist, checked the DF screens, 1 still had his normal name. I went in and nicknamed him in DF, worked. I looked in Therapist, his name isn't there.

I would assume vampire since he's not showing in the Therapist as he is in DF, but nicknaming him in DT doesn't nickname him in DF, and he will take a nickname just fine in DF, and since vampires aren't supposed to take nicknames...

If there any other situation of using a nickname? Cuz this guy has me confused... He's breaking all the rules!!! lol.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 03:50:53 am »

You might have to read dwarfs again (in therapist)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 04:09:29 am »

You might have to read dwarfs again (in therapist)

Cuz the 8 times I hit read didn't do it? ;-) ;-)

Trust me, I hit read. Spent 30 minutes going back and forth, making sure I wasn't missing something. The guy has a different name, but he still takes a nick in DF... While ignoring being assigned one in DT.

Easiest proof: Turn off all his labors in DF, hit read again. He's the one that's suddenly showing useless in DT.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?