No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360207 times)

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1245 on: May 03, 2012, 02:26:37 pm »

How large and how much cargo this evelator can lift?

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1246 on: May 03, 2012, 02:29:18 pm »

Enough to carry the materials needed for a frigate withing a decent time frame, maybe we should upgrade it so we can have maximum mass production potential.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 03, 2012, 02:31:47 pm »

We don't know if this thing lifted mutiple times...

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #1248 on: May 03, 2012, 02:32:52 pm »

If it didn't then it would have a pretty high capacity.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 03, 2012, 07:53:56 pm »

Piece for now, but prepare a secret stockpile of long-range weapons. Then when we see an opening, we can turn their moons to glass. Also research gravity manipulation, that looks like a real investment.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: May 03, 2012, 10:02:49 pm »

Here this is a mostly correct explaination of a meson cannon,
http://orbitalvector.com/Space%20Weapons/MESON%20GUNS.htm
Basically it would fire the particles to self terminate in the center of the asteroid blowing it up from inside.
Would also be perfect if we are forced underground.

Yes peace for now.
Lets research small scale fusion, and more self-repairing carbon.
I think it would be best to have gravity manipulation in space, and something tell me it takes alot of energy..
We should build another space tether and increase human population infrastructure (water, food, health). Then we can begin increasing human re/production rate, which will increase industrial power.

Also for the way the space tether most likely works, the most efficient would be many small loads. It would be like a conveyor belt.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 03, 2012, 11:50:14 pm »

Holy frack.  Meson-based weapons seem to be so outrageously good and fun I doubt Mal will let us have them -- at least not for several more turns.  We would need effective power sources and special sensor arrays before we even got around to the delivery system itself.  I want to thank you for showing me to that site, Immortal, I am going to have hours of fun reading through all this.  Someone was a freaking genius making this resource, it'll be good for us to use for this game.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 04, 2012, 04:34:35 pm »

So did we send a probe in to monitor their communications?  If so, is that how we got a better understanding of their language.  If not, I still think that would be a good idea.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to let them see our language.  Just start transmitting stuff.  Transmit the dictionary, transmit some famous speeches (peaceful ones!), we could even just transmit a random conversation about nothing.  We seem to be having a really hard time with their language, maybe they'll have an easier time with ours.  Even if they can't understand it, getting a look at our language might help them better teach us theirs.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 04, 2012, 05:14:25 pm »

Holy frack.  Meson-based weapons seem to be so outrageously good and fun I doubt Mal will let us have them -- at least not for several more turns.  We would need effective power sources and special sensor arrays before we even got around to the delivery system itself.  I want to thank you for showing me to that site, Immortal, I am going to have hours of fun reading through all this.  Someone was a freaking genius making this resource, it'll be good for us to use for this game.
I missed the rest of that site, was just looking for an explanation on mesons. Thanks for making that comment. I'm now reading this whole site.

As for communication do not send randomness, lets open communications to learn about each other. Apologize if we can. Ask them to teach us their language.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 04, 2012, 06:09:14 pm »

As for communication do not send randomness, lets open communications to learn about each other. Apologize if we can. Ask them to teach us their language.
I only suggested randomness because we seem to be unable to carry on a conversation with each other.  They don't have a clue what our language even looks like, while we seem to be constantly misinterpreting them.  A conversation in our language is therefore impossible; a conversation in their language is unhelpful at best, dangerous at worst!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 04, 2012, 07:05:09 pm »

Agreed.  Making sure we understand each other would be a necessary first step before we got into any sort of diplomatic negotiations.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 05, 2012, 10:34:05 pm »

Posting in about 24 hours, give or take. Get your final thoughts in.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 06, 2012, 08:16:15 pm »

> I would suggest building a spaceport planetside on Gaia, this will provide a perfect place for commerce and allow civilian ships to travel to and fro.  We can use it for military purposes too if it comes to that, but the idea right now is simply to promote independence and commerce through the whole system.  If we're going to colonize Gaia, we can't half-ass the job.

Refer to my other suggestions from Page 83, and all the others people put up for more.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 06, 2012, 10:52:13 pm »

With a sense of urgency still around military matters given the recent tensions, work continues on strengthening the deep space fleet. However, an engineering issue rears its head during the space trials of the existing ships, and all work stops on new hulls as the existing designs are brought back in and serviced. Thankfully, the glitch was caught before any explosive decompression was able to take place.

Work to expand the orbital defense systems goes much smoother, and the net now covers Aquarius as well, although coverage is mostly tilted towards Gaia and Aries, as they have the most human population.

A few civilian transports are pieced together in between refittings of military ships, and these vessels begin plying their trade between Gaia, Aries, and Aquarius. Unsurprisingly, most of the traffic moves towards Gaia, with a smattering of new settlers heading to Aquarius. Aries, while maintaining its population due to new births, is rapidly losing adults to the other two colonies.

As these colonies grow, medical knowledge is once again sought after. The Mavens are once again seen as key to this process, and they begin searching corrupted archives for advanced medical data. In fact, they become practically obsessed with this new task, becoming withdrawn and in an almost autistic fashion as they search for new information on the medical sciences. They are uncommunicative while doing so, and appear to be fully immersed in this search. In fact, some of them have to be given IVs due to concerns over their nutrition and hydration levels. They fail to produce any new info or advances at this time.

The attempts to contact the Moonies are mildly frustrating. It appears that they once again want very little to do with the colony. They appear to exhibit extremely isolationist and protectionist tendencies based on their behavior. Random snippets of human language are transmitted to them, but they only offer vague patterns of lights in response. Perhaps an acknowledgement of receipt; certainly not any engagement or reciprocation. Requests for additional meetings are met similarly; just a pattern of lights, no real response.

Even as the buildup in space is focused on, some work is done on domestic issues. Preparing for an expansion in population, a spaceport is laid down on Gaia using a combination of the ship and the commercial fleet. This should ease the growing pains of the young colony as it hacks itself out from the jungle of the planet. Basic infrastructure is improved, as well, and the road has been paved for additional population growth.

Similar work is done on Aquarius, at the behest of a few of the settlers. The Avian Contact Center is towed to a shallow area, ripe with fish and coral, and tethered to the sea floor. Several expansions are also landed and tethered, and a small sea-based colony is founded. It has a small landing pad for spacecraft, and a tiny fleet of personal boats.

Research goes poorly this month on miniaturizing fusion. No real insights are gained, but, thankfully, nothing explodes horribly, either. The same cannot be said for research on the asteroid buster. This time, a prototype munition goes off on the weapons testing platform, utterly destroying the facility. Ten souls go down with the ship, so to speak.

Time lapsed in system: 3 years, 8 months

Spoiler: Mission Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Deep Space Navy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mavens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Moonies (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:54:02 pm by Maldevious »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 07, 2012, 03:55:29 am »

Our luck is... Looks like The mighty RNG doesn't want to let us create an army.

Anyway, I propose: (in an order of importance)

1) Leave the moonies alone, stop any communications. Let's look how isolationist they really are

2) Rebuild the weapon testing facility

3) Research the self repairing thing

4) Build a shield for The Avian Contact center, just in case. It will help against predators
\disasters\attacks. Also, transfer some combat drones here.

5) Build an airship, capable of hosting 50 colonists on a permanent basis, for the second mobile Avian contact center. Mobile center can communicate with all Avians, not small portion of them

6) Build minor orbital defenses around Planet B, and let's name it Infrenium

7) Design a new kind of military ship - slinger. Based on the fighters. All ship is basically a set of several engines, power, speed and agility is all it need, no weapons, basic armor, no shield. It can be used in 4 roles: a)tow damaged ships\containers; b) Attachable engine boosters for big ships; c) to move asteroid away; d) they may be used to launch projective (any, from tiny rocks to mines to torpedos to epically big spears to asteroids) just move close to the target, detach projective, turn around and let inertia to do the job. Note that they useful both in civilian and military roles. Build a prototype

8) Let's return to terraforming Aries, I propose to introduce some stored earthworms into the soil. Choose the smallest ones and the most adapted to cold conditions.

9) Use our transport fleet to get rid from the algae infestation, mechanically gather the algae, transport it to Aries, dump it in one place on dry land, and then let it rot, providing food to the earthworms. In fact we may gather even native  organic materials from Gaia and Aquarius, kill,  sterilize it properly and let it rot on Aries, but getting rid of the algae is preferable. Let's create one  area with rich soil, then we may think about grass.

10) Design and build farm ships, basically big, mobile, transparent, space based hydroponic farms. We should move majority of our food production in space, in that way farming will never mess with ecology and, more importantly, ecology will not mess with the farms. Also wastes from farming may be used for dumping on Aries

11)Build two cloning centers for the settlements on Gaia

12) Build small scientific outposts all over Aries to monitor ecology more closely (like 20 with 10-50 scientist each)

13) Extensively explore Planet E, maybe we miss something interesting

BTW about the moons... are  there any notable (more then 100km in diameter) moons around planets other then gas giant?

I like how we have our population in different places, it's hard to wipe us out in one strike, so we must develop all colonies, and maybe, create even more on B and E planets: military bases, scientific outposts, everything to lure people there. But it's more a long term goal.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:47:40 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 117