No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360320 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #795 on: March 23, 2012, 09:31:48 am »

So I'm going to be away from the computer for the next few days, and I won't have time to put together the next full update for a few.

But I thought I'd come up with some way for you all to amuse yourselves, and this is what I thought of.

Until I return and make my next update, I thought you guys could do a freeform, GM-free exploration of what it is like to be a colonist on Aries. Everyone can play their own character, and none of this is going to be canon per se (i.e. your character can't destroy the colony or do anything that dramatically affects the game), but it'll give you a way to stay engaged in the story until I return and move us all forward. Use your imaginations. Have some fun.

Try and figure out what life on this colony is like. Stop by the automated classrooms, then enjoy some plankton beer at the rugby match. Go on a walkabout and examine the moss that is slowly covering the red planet. Visit the Grand Parliament, and debate the great issues of the day.

If this sounds enjoyable, by all means go ahead and begin. If not, I'll make another post in a few days.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 25, 2012, 08:17:26 pm »

OOC: Guess that wasn't such a great idea, then. I thought it might be fun. Oh well. Back to the originally scheduled programming, then :)

The next two months go by quite quickly. A 21st Century Environmentalist's worst nightmare begins to take place on Aries. Oil wells are drilled down into the crust of the planet, and the natural gas and oil that is found is summarily burned, for the simple goal of raising the CO2 levels of the atmosphere. Attempts to start volcanism are unsuccessful, however, and a seismology team is lost during the process (10 colonists).

A probe is sent to Planets A and E. Planet A, upon further examination, was grossly misidentified. Perhaps related to the software glitches the ship was experiencing when it first entered the system. It is, in all respects, remarkably similar to Earth. Despite being close to its star, it possesses a perfectly balanced atmosphere for human life, has a simple biosphere with no intelligent animals, is about 50% water, and would easily support a colony without any atmospheric cleaning or manipulation. This obviously puts people into a mood on Aries, and there are calls for the relocation of a majority of the colonists to A in the Grand Parliament. Planet A is re-designated "Gaia."

Planet E is much like it was seen before: cold, rocky, crushing gravity and full of poisonous elements to human: arsenic, mercury, and the like.

No real progress occurs on decoding the alien language. It will be a slog, at this rate, unless a breakthrough occurs.

An examination of the ship's systems shows that it will most likely be serviceable in space for a few more decades. Certainly something to plan for, but it will not fail immediately.

Designs for a space drone are created, but the general nixes out the humanoid idea. He does like the idea of making cheap, easy to manufacture space drones for system defense, an the military shipyard begins to crank them out. They each carry four missiles, and then use their engines to maneuver and ram their target. Guidance for these drones comes from the ship. The first few batches are ready for deployment.

A party is held, as the colony has completed its first phase. Much drunken rugby is played. Dances are held throughout the arcology. A few walks are taken in the atmosphere. Weddings are conducted. Much merriment is had. Robotic servants present each family with a commemorative giant asexual bee, for use as a household pet. This is met with much confusion by the colonists, but they seem thankful, nevertheless. Amazingly, no one is stung to death yet.

Time lapsed in system: 2 years, 0 months

Spoiler: Mission Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: System Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Info about the Avians (click to show/hide)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 25, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »

Giant bees. Awesome. Haha
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 25, 2012, 08:47:17 pm »

Damn. That planet.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 25, 2012, 08:49:24 pm »

Loved that bee. Now lets get on to assigning/planning two months worth of work.

Let gather a team of scientest to consider this: Planet wide DNA collection of the water world for the purpose of creating a habitat for the Avians and a Resort/reasurch are for humans and scientist, on GAIA. A place were the Birds can be tought by us and made equal to us. All we need to do is come up with a probe design that can withstand extreme pressures.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 25, 2012, 09:03:50 pm »

/\ Yus. Also begin work on transport shuttles and aquarium transport shuttles (or however you want to transport the avians).

Maybe we should work on just decoding the grammatical system then begin building a vocab base (things should go more quickly with that). We need to find a (better) way to deal with the UVers.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 25, 2012, 09:19:29 pm »

just a couple hundered of the most curious. but that should only be considered after a habitat for them is planned.
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 25, 2012, 09:45:02 pm »

>>:Redundant facilities on aries so losing the ship is less of a problem.

>>:Send more scouts to the xenos planet to see their civilization, I want to know if we're setting next to daleks plotting to destroy all humans or not.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 25, 2012, 10:18:19 pm »

>>:Redundant facilities on aries so losing the ship is less of a problem.

>>:Send more scouts to the xenos planet to see their civilization, I want to know if we're setting next to daleks plotting to destroy all humans or not.
no breaking our promise. we cant afford a war.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 26, 2012, 12:44:26 am »

Can we steal some avian children\eggs?

I propose to steal something like 100 avian eggs and transport them to Gaia, to our new colony to be raised by humans in our new colony later we may use them as diplomats.

And big no to transfering alien DNA to the Gaia, let's not screw ecosystem of one more planet

And let's realize some insects on Aries, we want to encouragwe people to stay on that planet, Gaia is more a backup plan, we spent to many resources in Aries to abandon it
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:51:19 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 26, 2012, 04:43:36 am »

Looking back, I see that there is an ecosystem in place. Sorry for the thoughtless huge planning. But that does mean we cant move the bird without heavy mutation. Wrong ecosystem means we could be sending them to starve. Or worse.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 26, 2012, 07:34:25 am »

Wrong ecosystem means we could be sending them to starve. Or worse.
That's why I suggest to take eggs\very young ones to be raised by humans. Our technologies can feed them in almost any ecosystem, in fact we can raise some avians on Aries, but it will be cruel to raise flying creature in a such cramped place
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 26, 2012, 07:50:34 am »

That's why I suggest to take eggs\very young ones to be raised by humans. Our technologies can feed them in almost any ecosystem, in fact we can raise some avians on Aries, but it will be cruel to raise flying creature in a such cramped place
We could try, but we would, instead, have to send probes out to Aquarius to see more of how the Avians live and whatnot. Actually, why not do a full on research montage on them. Acquire as much detail on them as we have on our own child species (humans) and present it to the scientist and government. Lets ask them whether or not it would be wise to use Gaia, instead of moving the entire Aries population there, to create a world were both the Birds and future humans can inhabit side by side.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 26, 2012, 09:08:42 am »

Haven't you seen that episode of star trek, man! You never mess with the eggs.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 26, 2012, 10:05:42 am »

Some paranoia about the planet:

What if it really was inhabitable by humans when we first scanned it. The most logic reason for a planet so close to the sun to be inhabitable would be solar flares.
-Solar flares come in cycles, when we scanned the sun nothing was happening on it, which means that flares happenedd before that moment
-Flares tend to disrupt electronics, that's where all our system corruption and such comes from.
-The aliens don't want the inner system. Why? Because every so often it gets solarflared with radiation.

Also, since this planet is so similair to Earth, there's a giant chance of there being viral and dangerous plagues there. So no human or any other living being comes in contact with the planet  or even with any objects that have been on that place. We should send automated probes and rovers, which should analyse everything, but mostly the magnetic field and the live there. I find the part of their being no intelligent beings suspicious.

Also, does no one find it supsicious that there's a prefect world here. I think we should go and ask the aliens on data on this system, and most importantly, hwo long that we have been there. A perfect human world is statistically impossible/improbable, so probably we or someone else terraformed it.

Also, no to Birdies on Gaia, either they die of undernourishment, or they survive and then find themselves whitout natural predators. ( SEE AQUARIUS,ALGAE)
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 117