No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360093 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #1350 on: May 14, 2012, 03:58:19 am »

I think decades is too big step from the current pace and way to much for current colony size, 6 months would be much better

As for micromanagement, you need to do 2 things

1) Not be a slave of players whims, if you think that something is too micromanagery and unfun, just ban it ( Good example is modular shipbuilding, all that modules are fun for players, but system (Max size of the ships tied only to the size of the shipyard, while unrealistic (module based shipbuilding is an easy solution in real life) is effective, simple and easy to manage. Or you may make bonuses from things like modular shipbuilding simple ( like +x% to max size of the ship)

2) Another, very important thing - LIMIT NUMBER OF ACTIONS. Just put a hard limit like 5 simple actions or something like that.
Yes it's slightly unrealistic (Players wil ask - why can't we terraform Aries, explore all planets in the system, change politics, teach Avians, design new ships, manage shipyard, research new techs, build giant space based facilities and combat giant robots in one turn that takes months? ) Just ignore that question, or make some excuse like - AI can't concentrate on many things
In that way you'll have several important events to write post from not that chore - read action, roll die, write something, repeat 20 times.
Also, this will force players to concentrate on important things, not micromanage everything.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:03:02 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: May 14, 2012, 12:53:44 pm »

I disapprove of two, I say seven! not five.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, yes that plan should work mr.ranger.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 14, 2012, 01:39:05 pm »

Suggestion example using 5 action limit and assuming 6 month\year turn

1)
Action: Shipyard Managing.
Place: Aries Shipyard
Goal: Creating space based farming industry
Details: Build farmships for food production, build space barges for food transportation, build Slingers (10 or more) for towing said barges. Expand shipyard slightly to build more and bigger ships. 
Links: Action 4 ( excessive food may be used for compost pile creating, barges may be used for transferring plants from Gaia)

2)
Action: Metallurgy industry creating
Goal: Create dual purpose industry on Aries
Place: Aries
Details: Research chemical ways to extract metals from  oxides, make avalanched alloys and release oxygen as byproduct. If research is successful, create metallurgy\oxygen extracting industry on Aries.
Links: Action 1 (alloys may be used for new ships) Action 4 (Oxygen releasing )

3)
Action: Mavens management
Main goal: Educating Avians
Place: Aquarius
Details: Transfer Mavens to "Valiant" Mobile Avian Contact Dirigible. Encourage their communication with Avians. Offer Mavens to create writing system based on the sign language.

4)
Action: Terraforming Aries
Main goal: Improve Biosphere
Place: Aries
Details: Create more compost piles, release new insects (wasps and ants), release oxygen into atmosphere
Links: Action 1, Action 2

5)
Action: Exploration
Place: Aquarius
Main goal: Study possible dangers
Details: Release many exploration bots into the ocean, wait for information

Other areas shall develop in a way how GM decides :)

If we choose to develop Gaia, build university, explore other planets, research some new weapon, then GM could decide what shipyard builds, how terraforming goes and so on.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:43:53 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 14, 2012, 01:45:58 pm »

That looks very interesting, Ukrainian Ranger. It'd require a lot of coordination amongst the players, though. I'm thinking 6 months per turn sounds like a good compromise. Keeps things moving along nicely but can also deal with smaller issues (time scale would change back down if needed for some reason).

Do you all think you could come up with just five suggestions per turn? It'd give me a bit more room to step back and think about plot and such, rather than just going down a giant list and rolling. While that sometimes produces an emergent plot, it's not as interesting for me, as I've mentioned. Feedback welcome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 14, 2012, 02:03:09 pm »

That looks very interesting, Ukrainian Ranger. It'd require a lot of coordination amongst the players, though.
I think either me or 10ebbor10 can assemble all suggestions in format like the one above, looks like we both like big, organized "cover it all" suggestion posts

BTW the example above is what I propose for this turn, so feel free to support if you like

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 15, 2012, 02:13:12 pm »

Bump?

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 16, 2012, 05:02:15 pm »

So I've done some more thinking on this, and I think I need a bit of a break from GM-ing. I can either just let the game sit dormant for a while, or we could try something... unusual... in that I've never tried it before.

I would be willing to let someone else run the game for a while if there was an interested party. If there is, we could PM to discuss how to run it, but it is very simple. Let me know if there are any takers or interested parties.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 16, 2012, 05:18:04 pm »

I'm sure someone out there is interested.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 17, 2012, 01:01:12 am »

I was about to yell out "ME! ME!" but then I realized that the pressure of calculating each and every reaction, situation and development would break me.  I doubt I would make a good GM.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 18, 2012, 09:04:40 am »

Well, looks like we're going on a hiatus, then. If anyone feels like rebooting this, send me a note or post on the topic.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: May 18, 2012, 10:17:31 am »

Take your time. Cool off. We all need breaks.
Thats what I would say anyway.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: June 29, 2012, 12:09:34 am »

Hmm... well, its been a month, what do you think?

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: June 29, 2012, 10:13:21 am »

I dont know. This is the sort of complex thing that one doesnt just bounce back into.
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: June 29, 2012, 12:55:22 pm »

I have been thinking about this game a bit, and will most likely try and reboot it after I return from a long vacation towards the end of July. I'll probably jump forward a few years to make it easier on myself as far as continuity goes. But I would like to give this another go.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 02, 2012, 11:07:08 am »

WOO!

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 117