Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Possible necormancer migrants?  (Read 5845 times)

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible necormancer migrants?
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:29:24 am »

In my first migrant wave are some worshippers of some kind of entity I couldn't get much information about while in my fortress. So off to legends I found out it was a winged mud titan killed in the year 60 (started the fortress in 125). He killed 29 dwarves when suddenly in the year 57 some 15 dwarves began worshipping him and three years later he was killed by one of his worshippers. Searched this dwarf and found out his father is a necromancer and had an apprentice. Since migrants now have history and we get stuff like vampires and werebeasts, it should be possible to get a necromancer dwarf, right? Anyone had this already?

Edit: On a sidenote, goddamn those books they write are hilarious. Titles like "Give me the dwarf" and "The Elf Questioned" shall be remembered in my mountain halls.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:33:12 am by Enki »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Possible necormancer migrants?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:45:56 am »

Dwarves, or sentient creatures (belonging to a civ) in general worship things of power. Not exactly Gods, Titans or Megabeasts are common in worshipping.

Never had a Necromancer Dwarf, doubt it is possible.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:49:52 am »

Well I never had any dwarf worshipping just an "object of worship" but always gods. And concerning necromancer migrants. I guess it might be possible but only if any of the dwarven necromancers settles in a dwarven city of your civilization. Most of the dwarven necromancers I have found live with their human masters and apprentices in a tower but some (mostly when their human necromancy master died before building and settling in a tower) moved into mountain halls but not in any of my civilization.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:59:59 am »

Dwarves, or sentient creatures (belonging to a civ) in general worship things of power. Not exactly Gods, Titans or Megabeasts are common in worshipping.

Necromancer dwarfs can migrate to your fort in disguise, and spring an ambush from inside your walls. My first clue when it happened to me was when the shells in my refuse stockpile came to life and began attacking. (Non-evil biomes, so I didn't expect reanimation, but there was a tower nearby.) The only survivor of the zombie spiral was a previously unrevealed vampire.

When the first necromancer shed its diguise, I got an "Intruders! Drive them away!" message, but I hadn't watched closely enough to see if there were any warning clues beforehand.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 02:46:56 pm »

Adventurer - Necromancer - Retire = Necro migrant

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »

Well I never had any dwarf worshipping just an "object of worship" but always gods. And concerning necromancer migrants. I guess it might be possible but only if any of the dwarven necromancers settles in a dwarven city of your civilization. Most of the dwarven necromancers I have found live with their human masters and apprentices in a tower but some (mostly when their human necromancy master died before building and settling in a tower) moved into mountain halls but not in any of my civilization.

I think if a titan kills someone their family worships it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 02:59:15 pm »

Necromancer dwarfs can migrate to your fort in disguise, and spring an ambush from inside your walls. My first clue when it happened to me was when the shells in my refuse stockpile came to life and began attacking. (Non-evil biomes, so I didn't expect reanimation, but there was a tower nearby.) The only survivor of the zombie spiral was a previously unrevealed vampire.

When the first necromancer shed its diguise, I got an "Intruders! Drive them away!" message, but I hadn't watched closely enough to see if there were any warning clues beforehand.

That's very interesting... I didn't know that was possible.

Just looking at this, I would assume that the dwarf necromancer was just a regular citizen of your fort and had no evil in mind.  Then he happened across the reanimatable parts in your refuse stockpile and thought, "Well, why not?"  He then reanimates them all, and since they're opposed to life they attack everything but the necromancer.  Possibly sparking a loyalty cascade?

But I haven't even touched the new version, so I could be completely off there.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Q
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 11:45:20 pm »

The Bay Watcher gestures! The forum thread shudders and begins to move!

For the benefit of not starting a new topic I willl use this one to understand something Loud Whispers said:
Adventurer - Necromancer - Retire = Necro migrant

I get that much but where in the world must one retire the necromancer adventurer so that it shows up as a migrant? I ask because the current mountain halls are non existent. Does one go to the place they are suposed to be until the location states "mountainhalls" and then retire or what?

Furthermore as they are genuine migrants and not necromancers from a tower in disguise, will they "spring from ambush"? I understand that they will probably raise any corpse they see, but they should be able to be controled via burrows correct?

Im trying to get a very specific current necro adventurer as a migrant in a future fort dedicated solely to him and it would be a shame that he would never arrive to inhabit the corpse-filled mansion.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 12:05:16 am »

The Bay Watcher gestures! The forum thread shudders and begins to move!
The fellow Bay Watcher thinks to himself. The Bay watcher has allowed the reanimation.
You remain a Devoted member of The twelth bay.
I've heard that some people do have necro migrants. I remember someones "whats up in your fort" where they had a huge problem with this.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 12:11:52 am »

Burrows solves all problems. The area Im planning to set up shop in is a triple terrifying region with an aquifer so the refuse pile is gonna be extra air-tight and innacessible. Im currently having him drop unicorn bones, hoofs and horns, night troll bones, hill titan shells, cut emeralds, and other niceties in the area to allow for some cool crafting should the fort manage to las long enough.

The only thing Im concerned about is getting him to migrate.

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 02:40:04 am »

... He killed 29 dwarves when suddenly in the year 57 some 15 dwarves began worshipping him and three years later he was killed by one of his worshippers. ...

Stop.

Let's see if I got this straight. This little cult could find nothing more worthy to sacrifice to their own god then their own god.

Guess you gotta stick to your principals - no who, no how, know what?

Well, using the rule of thumb that there's nothing new under the sun, I'm sure there's some mythological reference somewhere that covers even this twisted tale. Well, maybe I'm over thinking & it's just a plain old false god revealed story. I just can't shake this vision of Dwarven worship:

Urist A: "Urist, I was thinking about doctrine & predestination & the sacred solace of socks & ... you think this guy's a poseur?"

Urist B: "HERESY! ALL THE GODS ARE REAL & REVEALED & .. OK. This here cult's pretty lame. Let's have at some FUN."

Mudmeister: "My children rejoice! Today we shall learn of -"

Urist B: *STAB*STAB*STABBITY*STAB*

Mudmeister: "Et tu Urist? Then F -"

Urist A: "BORING!" *STAB*STAB*STAB*
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:41:48 am by FourierSeries »
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 09:04:00 am »

Don't forget that necromancers tend to work on their Ambush skills, so they can show up and lurk around your map just like a thief. Their goal being to find a body to reanimate.  So, it may not have been a migrant that was raising a ruckus in the fort, but the distant neighbor in his tower stopping by for a visit.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 02:33:42 pm »

Does one go to the place they are suposed to be until the location states "mountainhalls" and then retire?
Furthermore as they are genuine migrants and not necromancers from a tower in disguise, will they "spring from ambush"?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 03:22:53 pm »

Yes, just retire at the inexistant mountainhome.
They will arrive as normal migrants and behave like normal dwarfs, they can even marry and have children. They will raise anything they see though, mussel shells, hair skin, body parts. They will fight it and then raise it again as long as they can see it. So yeah, disable all jobs and use burrows. With all jobs disabled but no burrow they might still carry something to the trade depot or get near a bone carvers workshop.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Q
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 03:23:53 pm »

I get that much but where in the world must one retire the necromancer adventurer so that it shows up as a migrant? I ask because the current mountain halls are non existent. Does one go to the place they are suposed to be until the location states "mountainhalls" and then retire or what?
Furthermore as they are genuine migrants and not necromancers from a tower in disguise, will they "spring from ambush"? I understand that they will probably raise any corpse they see, but they should be able to be controled via burrows correct?

1. As long as you're a friendly Dwarf, it should work. While mountainhall sites do not exist, their locations do, and you can retire at those. Then you pick the civ your Dwarf retired in and embark.
2. If they're genuine migrants, they'll arrive as such, with 'necromancer' in their title. Noble necromancer monarchs tend to be more common than adventurer necro's to be honest. And yes, they will raise any corpse they see. But they're a Dwarf all the same, and can be controlled in any way a normal Dwarf can, burrows, military stations et al.
(Unless it's a vampire necromancer dwarf).
Pages: [1] 2