Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 39

Author Topic: Adventures on Monster Island  (Read 266784 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures on Monster Island
« Reply #300 on: March 07, 2012, 05:42:50 pm »

I do believe there are occasionally paths down to the underground caverns from the overworld. It's been a while (and a couple versions) since I've had an adventurer make it down there though, so I'm not really sure if it's currently possible.

It is, but in a standard world their are about 12 of the "mountain caves" that go surface to cavern.

And once down there, it is usually nigh-impossible to escape if you loose your way. One of my favorite adventurers was a dwarf back in .18 (I think) with a full set of adamantite masterwork armor, plentiful weapons, etc. I was knocked from a ledge in a cave into the first cavern layer, and there was no way back up. Even with superdwarven stats and the best possible equipment, and no need to eat or drink, I barely survived the journey to the next cave over. At one point, I had to stop and rest for three days because I had falled into a pit with a troll I was fighting and landed 4 z levels down next to a magma pool, shattering both my legs. The whole trip took around 12-14 days (ingame) and I was covered in scars. I only made it out at all because I knew exactly where the closest cave was on the Q-map. Frankly, even a he-man of Vanod's stature would have a hard time doing anything interesting in the caverns without dying.  Not to mention they are much more boring and samey than the surface.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 07, 2012, 07:35:49 pm »

the surface is running out of things to kill, so...

plus on the underground there are plenty of forgotten beasts, 3 layers of fun, spear and blowgun armed humanoids,
Spoiler: hidden fun stuff (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2012, 07:38:45 pm »

the surface is running out of things to kill, so...

Medium(?) sized world numbers of creatures, megabeasts, Titans, etc. on an island smaller than a pocket island. No, we're in no danger of that.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2012, 08:19:48 pm »

I had one adventurer who essentially became king of the caverns thanks to wanderer's friend mod. FB leather/bones makes some nice armor. and i found a dwarfs corpse who had a adamantine battleaxe next to some constructed walls, pretty sure i remember how he got there too.

Raidmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Hackin' n' Wackin' n' Smackin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 07, 2012, 09:22:51 pm »

Loving the story so far, It's good to see that some members can make the community come together to listen to what is going on with this guy.

Hope to see more updates soon, the story has been both entertaining and funny for me so far, keep it up! :)

Rodge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 07, 2012, 11:23:56 pm »

Just realized I haven't posted yet, and I'm been reading this thing since it had only three pages. That had to be fixed.

I already have a few mental ideas of what Vanod is like:

He whistles constantly. He is enjoying himself too much not too.

Before he faces an enemy, he does not use a  battle cry, he simply licks his lips.

And that's all I got, what have you're all thoughts have been?
People keep saying that doing an Evil embark is like experiencing a Zombie Apocalypse but that's not accurate. In a zombie apocalypse the zombies overwhelm the inhabitants corrupting the land and trapping a band of survivors. In DF a group of people with a perfectly fine place to live, look at a corrupted hellhole overrun by the legions of the undead boot them out and say "No, we live here now."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 07, 2012, 11:30:02 pm »

suffice to say i'd be banned from the forum if i shared them

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 07, 2012, 11:31:10 pm »

You'd think the giant chicken club would be more deadly than the spear. Huh.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 08, 2012, 01:26:10 am »

Just realized I haven't posted yet, and I'm been reading this thing since it had only three pages. That had to be fixed.

I already have a few mental ideas of what Vanod is like:

He whistles constantly. He is enjoying himself too much not too.

Before he faces an enemy, he does not use a  battle cry, he simply licks his lips.

And that's all I got, what have you're all thoughts have been?

I have a few ideas.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ascimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 08, 2012, 02:19:23 am »

Did not anyone made that joke so far?
It seems Nganuz knew some of these thu'ums.
There is a finely-engraved image of Ascimator on the wall. Ascimator is slapping himself in the face. The artwork relates to the loss of the only anvil in Perplextombs in the late winter of 6.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 08, 2012, 02:26:15 am »

Did not anyone made that joke so far?
It seems Nganuz knew some of these thu'ums.

but in the end, his thu'um was not strong enough to lay low the likes of Vanod.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 08, 2012, 02:39:43 am »

And once down there, it is usually nigh-impossible to escape if you loose your way.

If you get really lost, you can always nap several times in a row and your adventurer will sleepwalk his way back to the surface.

You can also retire for a while as a Peasant if the cavern in question is under a town. I haven't done that though so I don't know if the adventurer will be on the surface if you try adventuring with them again or not.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 08, 2012, 03:47:47 am »

I don't think I've ever seen cavern creatures with clothing and their blowdarts are pretty useless, but the leaders do sometimes have masterwork fungiwood shields. The real obstacle to Vanod's long-term playability will be that the no-quality copper spear he's holding is the best weapon on the planet. Unless he can get a bronze colossus to dodge off a steep cliff and then pick up a limb, that's it.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Arthandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 08, 2012, 07:54:02 am »

Adventures on Monster Island OST

01 Drowning Pool - Bodies
02 Godsmack - I Stand Alone
03 Iced Earth - I Am My Own Savior
04 Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy (because Vanod is also too sexy for his shirt)

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 08, 2012, 08:09:49 am »

This is absolutely awesome! The art really adds that little touch that makes this story great. Seeing your visualisations of things is really interesting, and I'd love to see some of your ideas of how other creatures and races look, since everyone seems to imagine something different.

Keep up the awesome!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 39