Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves autonomously unlocking locked doors?  (Read 4670 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Dwarves autonomously unlocking locked doors?
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:00:36 am »

As the thread states, my dwarves have been unlocking a lock door I have.  I know this, because inside this locked room, are three zombies of former dwarves.  I would prefer this room NOT become unlocked, and I have been very careful not to unlock it by accident myself.  Yet, this is the second time it's become unlocked.. I fear this might also be the last time.

Anyone else notice this? Could it be because they're trying to put someone's left foot in the room, as it's also where the corpse stockpile is?
The door is still there - it doesn't become bashed down or even 'taken by invaders'.  Its becoming unlocked, simple as that. 
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves autonomously unlocking locked doors?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:03:09 am »

so you pressed "q"(Query) "l" then "o"

over the door?
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:07:14 am »

Yup.  I've been playing the game for quite some time, and I'm aware of how to lock the doors.. it stayed locked for a long time, then I suddenly got the message "Urist McImportantdwarf has been struck down!"  Thats when I noticed the two zombies who were in that room in the first place out and about, chasing everyone.  Had to draft everyone and put 'em down, then drag all three corpses into the room and relock it. Month or two later, I got a job cancellation message about some zombie, and lo and behold, it was unlocked again, though two zombies were being good little zombies and just sittin' there.

This time I'm barricading the damn hallway off and rerouting it.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:10:49 am by Crustypeanut »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:10:36 am »

That's... freaky... maybe paranormal - I don't know if mischievous ghosts can unlock doors, though supposedly they can pull levers... Have any ghosts floating around?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:11:58 am »

Yeah, two of the poor immigrants who died trying to get to the fortress through the zombie horde I have outside.  Ghostly recruit and ghostly hammerdwarf..  although you'd think they'd have been violent ghosts, as.. well, they were ripped to shreds by zombie dwarves, badgers, and horses.

I'll look into getting those two memorialized.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:18:04 am by Crustypeanut »

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 04:23:28 am »

Build a wall completely across the outside of the door, if the door becomes unlocked its the zombies that have lockpicking skill.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 04:27:45 am »

That's... freaky... maybe paranormal - I don't know if mischievous ghosts can unlock doors, though supposedly they can pull levers... Have any ghosts floating around?

That's an interesting idea-- when ghosts stand on unlocked doors, the doors do open, but now I wonder about ghosts and locked doors....
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 04:34:03 am »

Build a wall completely across the outside of the door, if the door becomes unlocked its the zombies that have lockpicking skill.

I don't think the zombies had any hands left.. XD

But I did that, and I never saw it go unlocked again.  The ghosts were still there, too.  It was my dwarves for some reason.. perhaps it was because of the 1-tile wide hallway and they were trying to get through? There might've already been two dwarves on one tile, so one dwarf decided to unlock the door, open it, and.. use that tile.  Not very smart, but I could see the dwarves doing it.  Especially since they KNEW they had locked zombies in there.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 04:40:39 am »

I don't think the zombies had any hands left.. XD

But I did that, and I never saw it go unlocked again.  The ghosts were still there, too.  It was my dwarves for some reason.. perhaps it was because of the 1-tile wide hallway and they were trying to get through? There might've already been two dwarves on one tile, so one dwarf decided to unlock the door, open it, and.. use that tile.  Not very smart, but I could see the dwarves doing it.  Especially since they KNEW they had locked zombies in there.

this calls for testing... :D could possibly be a bug, who knows.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 04:44:34 am »

Could the zombies be breaking down the door? Or perhaps a kobold or gremlin is unlocking the door?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 09:47:17 am »

Could the zombies be breaking down the door? Or perhaps a kobold or gremlin is unlocking the door?

Nope to all of those.  The door was still there, and I had invaders turned off so I never saw a kobold or gremlin.  Plus it was deep inside my fort, so a dwarf would've seen either of those if they came.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 11:03:11 am »

It was my dwarves for some reason.. perhaps it was because of the 1-tile wide hallway and they were trying to get through?
Forbidden doors should act like impassable workshop tiles. Try locking it and marching some military dwarves up and down the hallway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 11:07:57 am »

It was my dwarves for some reason.. perhaps it was because of the 1-tile wide hallway and they were trying to get through?
Forbidden doors should act like impassable workshop tiles. Try locking it and marching some military dwarves up and down the hallway.

Already lost the fortress actually.. zombie ogres + hordes of migrant zombies broke past my long line of cage traps.  Due to metal cages needing 3x the amount of metal now, its alot harder to make metal cages.. and wood is out of the question.

I'll see if I can try it with my current fortress, minus having zombie dwarves in the room thats being locked.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 11:21:52 am »

Due to metal cages needing 3x the amount of metal now, its alot harder to make metal cages.. and wood is out of the question.
Yeah, the material holiday is over. Not sure if adamantine's been fixed now as well, haha.

Wood can be gained pretty easily by going into the worldgen options and raising the number of embark points available. This does require a regen, but if you have a nice seed I see no reason for this change to affect anything else at all.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 11:28:14 am »

I've actually been able to survive to autumn in this hellscape... no way I'm restarting now.  There are numerous soil layers, so i'm going to build a massive treefarm soon.  Need to get my main fortress's floors covered though, can't have bushes and trees growing in the 1-tile wide hallways.  There are only 9 dwarves though, so I can survive with such narrow halls.

I also apparently forgot to purchase an anvil at embark, and the caravan just got ripped to shreds before they could get to me.  >.>
Pages: [1] 2