Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heinous Ooze (AKA Free skillups!)  (Read 1722 times)

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Heinous Ooze (AKA Free skillups!)
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:20 am »

My most recent embark is blessed with constant precipitation in the form of heinous ooze.  I thought nothing of it, since the previous forts where I had freakish weather were harmless.  This was also harmless as well, merely causing full-body bruises on all my dwarves.

Then I designated my hospital.  I'd no more than exited out of the zone designation menu, when half my dwarves trucked it on over to the hospital (complete with requisite flood of job cancellation messages), and plopped themselves down anywhere they felt, since I hadn't even installed beds yet.

Somewhat troubled, I found one of my non-resting dwarves and made him my chief medical dwarf, enabled all his healthcare labors, turned off the others, and let him eat, drink, take a break, sleep, and scratch himself a bit before lumbering over to the hospital to get to work.  By that time, many of the patients had woken up and wandered off.  Those he did diagnose simply got up and walked off without requiring further medical attention.

This pattern has been going on for quite some time.  Anytime a dwarf goes outside in the "rain", (s)he has about a 75% chance of taking ill as a result.  And my chief medical dwarf has been loving it.  He's already up to proficient (from 0 skill).

Good times, heinous ooze...good times...

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Heinous Ooze (AKA Free skillups!)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:08:46 am »

I had an acid rain which caused my dwarfs to bleed. A lot. It took 30 dead dwarfs to get my wound dresser up to skilled, which made him fast enough to stop the dwarfs from bleeding out.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:10:53 am »

I'm in the process of weaponizing some blistering ooze. Lovely stuff. My Dwarves are developing an immunity.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:08:57 am »

I'm in the process of weaponizing some blistering ooze. Lovely stuff. My Dwarves are developing an immunity.

Can't blister skin that aint there?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 01:33:32 am »

Can't blister skin that aint there?

Cant blister dwarves that aint there?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.