Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25

Author Topic: Good regions being painfully good  (Read 87473 times)

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good regions being painfully good
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2012, 02:52:44 am »

good is not good as seen by dwarves though, or dwarves would settle there during worldgen, they don't, they only settle in neutral regions.

Indeed, it's probably closest to good as seen by the elves, since they are the only ones settling there and the areas in general are sort of themed towards magical forests/etc with magical fantastical creatures, thus right up the elves alley.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2012, 04:30:59 am »

good is not good as seen by dwarves though, or dwarves would settle there during worldgen, they don't, they only settle in neutral regions.

Indeed, it's probably closest to good as seen by the elves, since they are the only ones settling there and the areas in general are sort of themed towards magical forests/etc with magical fantastical creatures, thus right up the elves alley.
Which is why dwarves without [NATURE_HIPPIE] are unlikely to settle on good regions. Unicorns will mess up your shit something fierce if provoked. And boy do dwarves ever provoke random wildlife...

But on the topic, I think good regions should mirror the evil ones in having "good" weather like happy thought -inducing rains or mists  or random healing effects. These could, of course, benefit any intruders as well as the dorfs... Another possible perk would be making any corpses on good terrain impossible to raise, even by necromancers.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2012, 04:39:45 am »

The problem with a complete opposite is that the translation isn't as effective or iconic as evil lands.

It would be far more effective if good lands got their own identity.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2012, 12:45:45 pm »

Wouldn't a Dwarf's Candyland be smothered in Adamantine with Adamantine sprinkles, glazed in Adamantine, and with a chewy molten Adamantine core? How many players wouldn't go there, and how many civs would? Moreover, how many players would survive there?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2012, 01:01:46 pm »

Wouldn't a Dwarf's Candyland be smothered in Adamantine with Adamantine sprinkles, glazed in Adamantine, and with a chewy molten Adamantine core? How many players wouldn't go there, and how many civs would? Moreover, how many players would survive there?

But Good lands arn't made for dwarves. Also no... Dwarves are about crafting and "Food craft" is actually one of the many activities they admire.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2012, 01:43:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure dwarves' thing is meant to be metalcrafting.
With all of their pretty steel, I'm sure they wouldn't mind a land covered in a metal that is only a metal when necessary.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2012, 02:08:32 pm »

I think that dwarves also regard the craft of constant alchoholism in much higher regards than anything else. This seems reflected in many of their works. Like engravings of engravings of cheese, or their diet of two meals and four drinks per season, or the fact that a newborn (dwarven) baby's first meal is probably alchohol. They need alchohol mentally.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »

And, in a Good Region™, measured against a measure that is not dwarf-based, there is an "Alcohol is baaad... M'Kay?" aura that could mean the area-wide neutralising of alcohol (for the common good!), making it actually hell for dwarves...!

(No, sorry, just pondering. ;) )

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2012, 03:45:56 pm »

And, in a Good Region™, measured against a measure that is not dwarf-based, there is an "Alcohol is baaad... M'Kay?" aura that could mean the area-wide neutralising of alcohol (for the common good!), making it actually hell for dwarves...!

(No, sorry, just pondering. ;) )
That is the Absolute! Most! UnDwarfish! Place! On Earth! That's easily worse than dwarven hell. Armok couldn't allow a place like this to even exist!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2012, 03:52:35 pm »

i like the idea of incapacitatingly-good weather that makes everyone sleep, or just stand there making them easy prey for unicorns.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 29, 2012, 02:59:13 pm »

Malevolent ~= Evil.
Benevolent ~= Good.

Evil areas are malevolent, with blood rains and the like to drive people out, and husks and zombes to kill those who don't agree.
To be the opposite, good areas should be benevolent: Removing the need to drink from some dwarves (and therefore the ability to get drunk), raising the dead (dwarven and goblin), and producing mists that aid in restful sleep (giving happy thoughts...not everything needs a dark side).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 29, 2012, 03:18:31 pm »

i never said it made them unhappy, just a easy snack.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 29, 2012, 06:09:31 pm »

Well, first off, the idea of rains that make people prey for unicorns is both ludicrous (unicorns are vegetarians), and against the idea of a benevolent land. Also, wouldn't YOU be unhappy about something that lead to you being eaten to death?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 29, 2012, 06:17:08 pm »

Well, first off, the idea of rains that make people prey for unicorns is both ludicrous (unicorns are vegetarians), and against the idea of a benevolent land. Also, wouldn't YOU be unhappy about something that lead to you being eaten to death?

I wouldn't care because I'd be under the affects of the rain.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 29, 2012, 06:22:28 pm »

Well, I doubt that there'd be that many aspects of good lands that are outright benevolant to dwarves if they decided to settle there. Sure if it's elves, who are inherently magical by themselves and live in harmony with the land, not damaging it or those that dwell there and know what to do and what to avoid. A dwarf on the other hand, barging in, striking the earth, tilling the soil and cutting down the ancient trees would most definitly be at odds with the local wildlife/inhabitants and would also most likely have !!FUN!! encounters with the various magical phenomenon that occurs there of which dwarvenkind has never seen or heard before ^^
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25