Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Play as an elf, is it even possible?  (Read 1639 times)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Play as an elf, is it even possible?
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:48:11 am »

Hello everyone,

For my first adventure in this new version, I wanted to make a Spear elf, thinking it would make a good base, except for the enemies requiring slash damages (but I would worry about it when I got there).

My main problem is that we start with wood equipment.

Screw that, I hunt some animals that won't even try to fight back due to my race (nice, but killing a boar with a wooden stick takes ages).

I go to an human town, sell most of my poorly butchered products, and aim for a weapon or armor store.

The map said both were in the vicinity, but I never found the weapon store.
The armor store only sells Large armors, which I can't equip either.

Any town being too far away, I find a bowier shop, so I try to buy a good bow (goodbye most of my money...) and some arrows. The problem here is that nobody in the whole town sells arrows...

At that point, I think I need an advice on what to do, because I know for sure that hunting some bandits or kobolds will kill me, even on one on one fights, after the long time it took me to even land a good hit on a boar that wouldn't fight back nor run.

I would greatly apreciate if anyone could give me a hint on what to do now, even if it involves crafting rocks and throwing them aimlessly for two whole hours.

Many thanks in advance.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Play as an elf, is it even possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:50:40 am »

You do realize you get a copper spear if you don't choose any of the mainstream weapons, and instead choose something like striker, wrestling or fighter? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:37:09 am »

Just kill some bandits, you'll get plenty of arrows.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:49:24 am »

Seriously?

The elven kind is strange, they equip their spear fighters with crap and give real weapons to those not knowing how to wield them...

Anyway, thanks for the tip, I'll just train the skill on animals in addition of food and money gathering.

@Loud Whispers:
As explained, with the wooden spear, I won't be able to even damage a single bandit before being killed, so it's not an option as long as I don't have a decent weapon or super stregnth.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:50:27 am »

Legendary ambush + Scratch lower body + Scratch head = Win

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 12:36:19 pm »

I am not a fan of the demigod starts, I like my adventurer to start as a peasant, as it makes no sense to me to see a godlike fighter appear out of nowhere, nobody having heard of him before.

I know that loosing is fun and all, but they should have at least some feeble enemies for us to be able to train against a little before going against the demigod bandits...

mrguy492

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 12:42:10 pm »

your first mistake is even playing as an elf in the first place.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:48:14 pm »

Who said anything about a demi god start?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 12:50:00 pm »

Mistake, no, it was a choice, knowing that in the previous version, I was almost every time dealt death blows by animals, no matter if I was hunting them or just ran past them.

I can understand the multiple reasons not to choose elves (tree huggers and don't like animals being killed, but eat their enemies, crappy weapons start...).

One thing that changed is that they don't start in the middle of nowhere anymore, at least you won't be ambushed by night creatures because no town was in the reach of your first day.

But I generally like characters that base on speed and precision rather than strength, and the elves are the only ones that stick to this.
I know, I could make a dwarf with stats in this only, but Role Playing with a base like this seems quite off to me.

@Loud Whisper: Legendary ambush, that's Demi god or hours sneaking around the town for nothing, I don't see other ways to get this.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 12:52:24 pm »

@Loud Whisper: Legendary ambush, that's Demi god or hours sneaking around the town for nothing, I don't see other ways to get this.

...Or just sneaking whenever you travel.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 01:02:56 pm »

I didn't know that sneaking while noone was around granted you levels.

I guess I played too much elder scrolls and just assumed you wouldn't train if you were alone in the wild.

Good to know, thanks