Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878375 times)

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6195 on: June 02, 2014, 12:17:05 am »

If your dwarf has other labors enabled they could be interfering. He could also be eating/drinking/sleeping/on break or attending a party. If it is the last one it can take a long time before he will get back to work. If you have been waiting for your dwarf to make them for more than a season and he has only Wood Crafting enabled (no hauling, etc) and none of the above apply, use the units screen to zoom to the dwarf and see what he is up to. It's possible he could be trapped somewhere or dead if you are going by what you have set rather than looking for him. Also if you have had any combat maybe check his health status as he may no longer be able to do his job because he lost the ability to do certain things. If you are aware of the  above and have done everything there than I really don't know.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Heathen

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Wandering the Mist Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: June 02, 2014, 01:42:49 am »

Cool, thanks for the tips.  I'll try deactivating all the other labors.  I think it's the dude who does most of the useful things hehe.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: June 05, 2014, 07:59:55 pm »

Does any one know if dwarves will reproduce with their cousins? Sitting here thinking about it the fact that cousins are tracked makes it seem unlikely but if anyone know for sure could you let me know?
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: June 05, 2014, 09:10:23 pm »

Why do minecarts full of magma slide back and forth when they ought to be sitting still?

I've got a fortress where I'm experimenting with minecart magma transportation.  I'm apparently not a very bright person, so this is taking me a while to figure out, and I keep screwing everything up, but this particular feature has me stumped.

See, I thought I had read somewhere that you could put a minecart in a magma trough, then slam another minecart into it, and the first one would shoot out of the trough like a billiard ball, leaving the second cart in the trough.  So, I dug a thing like this:

Code: [Select]
        _M_
       /
      /
M_   /
  \M/

The concept was: dig this out, carve tracks all along it, pump magma into it, then push minecarts down the big hill.  The first one should stop in the trough and get filled up; the second one should knock it out of the trough and up the smaller hill, where a dwarf can take it away.

The first one acted as expected.  The second one failed to knock the first one out of the trough; now I had two minecarts in the trough.  The third one also failed to knock them out; now I had three minecarts in the trough, each with 2 units of magma in it.

Ok, fine, I thought... I dug out a reservoir, stuck a grate over the inflow ramp, channeled out the south wall of the trough, and allowed the excess magma to flow out.  This left me with three minecarts in a dry trough, so dwarves could take them away.

After I took the first minecart out, I had two minecarts sitting in the dry trough.  Except they aren't sitting.  They keep shifting back and forth, and back, and forth, and back, and forth, .... I don't know how they're doing it, but they keep moving.  Constantly.  Every 22 ticks or so.

Have I discovered a new form of perpetual motion?  Or is friction eventually going to bring them to a halt?

The reason I noticed this was because I was trying to take the second minecart out of the trough, but the job keeps getting cancelled:
Code: [Select]
Ast Soandso, Miner cancels Place Track Vehicle: No item.
Ast Theotherguy, Miner cancels Place Track Vehicle: No item.
Lam Whatshisbeard, Farmer cancels Place Track Vehicle: No item.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6199 on: June 06, 2014, 01:30:17 am »

Rocking Horse.

Enough energy to keep bouncing barely up each side ramp, not enough to get out.  Break the ramps.

Suspicious Pilgrim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6200 on: June 07, 2014, 05:25:31 pm »

Are merchants able to cross frozen oceans?

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: June 08, 2014, 12:00:50 pm »

Does removing rotten tissue from a dwarf have any long term consequences?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: June 08, 2014, 12:46:04 pm »

Are merchants able to cross frozen oceans?

Do you mean in world-map travel, or in-fort? They can't cross oceans to reach your fort, though I believe they can cross glaciers. They may also walk across ice in fort-mode.

To see if certain civilizations can reach you before embarking, you can press tab a few times on the world map and it will show you a list of neighbours that can reach you in one of the screens.

Does removing rotten tissue from a dwarf have any long term consequences?

It will affect combat, mostly, since the tissue is no longer there to get hit. Depending on the tissue removed, you can also see the dwarf lose the ability to feel pain or lose function of the affected body part.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6203 on: June 14, 2014, 10:03:40 am »

I have build a well; there is water in a pool 2 z levels below. I see my dwarves running to it all the time. Yet most or all of my dwarves have negative thoughts about the lack of a well.
On Q I see the well as active, and I can choose to make it a meeting place(I haven't.)

What have I likely done wrong?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: June 14, 2014, 10:05:28 am »

This made me realize I've never made a well in my life.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: June 14, 2014, 11:19:20 am »

Another Q: Is there a list on the wiki or elsewhere which summarized the jobs which the skill either has no effect at all or only affects the speed at which it is accomplished?

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: June 14, 2014, 11:48:09 am »

Another Q: Is there a list on the wiki or elsewhere which summarized the jobs which the skill either has no effect at all or only affects the speed at which it is accomplished?

A: Here is the wiki link map: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Skill
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: June 14, 2014, 12:11:17 pm »

I have build a well; there is water in a pool 2 z levels below. I see my dwarves running to it all the time. Yet most or all of my dwarves have negative thoughts about the lack of a well.
On Q I see the well as active, and I can choose to make it a meeting place(I haven't.)

What have I likely done wrong?

It could be that the well hasn't been there long enough for all of the negative thoughts from lack of a well to have expired. It could also be that another water source is closer to the dwarves in question, so they go to that one instead. I've got four wells in one of my forts, and still see dwarves wading out into the swamps to wash themselves in stagnant pools. Sometimes even the most thoughtful fort design can't compensate for dwarves' Artificial Stupidity.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: June 14, 2014, 12:52:36 pm »

can you disable legendaries flashing?

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: June 14, 2014, 01:36:58 pm »

A: Here is the wiki link map: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Skill

That's a list of skills, but not what I was looking for.
Found it under labors.
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 422