Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878961 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5730 on: December 24, 2013, 02:01:43 pm »

I am growing fungus on my soil floors without penetrating caverns.  Is there a planned game mechanism that allows this?  or am I just gonna have to accept another "I don't know why, but"  ?

This isn't your first fortress in this world, is it?

If you breach the caverns in a previous fort, newer forts can grow fungus without ever seeing the caverns.

Really? Never knew that.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: December 24, 2013, 05:45:25 pm »

Only if you embark in the same biome as that previous fort
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

khantin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: December 25, 2013, 07:22:07 pm »

Hello,

I am trying to set up a generational fort with just my original 7, but I always seem to get migrants.  I remember succesfully doing it in 40d by changing the biome settings.  So far  I've tried editing the raws so that the max age of dwarves is 2 in world gen, and I've tried this:
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:2]
   [MAX_POP_NUMBER:2]
   [MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:2]
in mountain biomes, but I always seem to get some migrants.  Is it possible to get 0 migrants and trade caravans in df2010?  and if so how can it be done?  Am I doomed to annihilate the poor migrants that come?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: December 25, 2013, 11:36:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure that setting your population cap to 7 or less and then running the fix/population-cap command as soon as you start the game will prevent you from ever getting any migrants.

Edit: Wow, not sure how I missed that this isn't the DFHack thread.  Just for reference, that's a DFHack command and without DFHack you can't prevent the initial migrant waves.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:39:24 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

exarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: December 26, 2013, 12:26:29 am »

My fort has a giant horde of tame saltwater crocodiles (~1000) that insist on blocking the entrance. I have set up a meeting hall elsewhere in the fort, but the crocs still refuse to move away from the entrance and let the dwarves work. Does anyone know how I can get them to move away from the entrance so my dwarves can work without causing copious amounts of fun?

khantin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: December 26, 2013, 02:54:34 am »

I'm pretty sure that setting your population cap to 7 or less and then running the fix/population-cap command as soon as you start the game will prevent you from ever getting any migrants.

Great success! Thank you for the wisdom. :D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: December 26, 2013, 05:49:53 am »

My fort has a giant horde of tame saltwater crocodiles (~1000) that insist on blocking the entrance. I have set up a meeting hall elsewhere in the fort, but the crocs still refuse to move away from the entrance and let the dwarves work. Does anyone know how I can get them to move away from the entrance so my dwarves can work without causing copious amounts of fun?

put some, about 900 of them, in cages. Congratulations, you have experienced a crocsplosion. To make sure you move them in order and not start at the back of the line, make a pasture over the closest few and assign those to the pasture... I think that was possible. If not, pray for the best, armok may be merciful. Next time try to get most of them in cages while they're still hatchlings. You can put a cage full with grown crocs in a cage near the entrance and pull a lever to release them when invaders show up.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 05:51:42 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: December 26, 2013, 10:55:18 am »

My fort has a giant horde of tame saltwater crocodiles (~1000) that insist on blocking the entrance.

Reminds me of another thread:

Good God this became an amusing thread since last night.

I'm asking this question because I'm going to drop live crocodiles onto invaders as a late-end part of my fortress' defensive system, and I needed to know if the crocodiles would be stunned for longer than the invaders. Should be fine, though, from what I'm hearing.

Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: December 28, 2013, 12:07:44 pm »

the very same (geographical) biome or a biome with the same attributes?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: December 28, 2013, 01:24:51 pm »

the very same (geographical) biome or a biome with the same attributes?

The same geo. biome, so you need to abandon the first fort to make it possible (at least until next version)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: December 29, 2013, 01:06:10 am »

One more query for the veterans, I'm wondering if this is considered an exploit; I set my Kitchen to churn out Lavish Meals 24/7.  After little more than a year of this, my Cooks are Expert-level, and the Prepared Meals are worth 2k-5k.  Selling off just one or two of these allows me to buy the Caravan's entire supply of food & alcohol.  Given the amount of stuff that goes into said meals, I come out ahead in both Stockpiles and Production Value.  This process is exponential.

Eventually I can trade for whole containers of Cloth & Leather, bypassing the 'raw materials' phase entirely and going straight to 'finished goods' production.  I have begun securing a few Pastures for milk/cheese & wool production, but for stuff like dyes & thread, going through the lengthy (and admittedly still rather confusing) process of Plant Fibers simply doesn't seem worth the effort.  Any thoughts or information are most welcome :)

Edit: I lol'd at the Crocodile defense :D  I just recently set my Butcher to 'capture live Animal' on repeat, in the hopes of getting something interesting that I can use for War Training or Cage Trap defense.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:08:11 am by Immortal-D »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: December 29, 2013, 01:19:24 am »

One more query for the veterans, I'm wondering if this is considered an exploit; I set my Kitchen to churn out Lavish Meals 24/7.  After little more than a year of this, my Cooks are Expert-level, and the Prepared Meals are worth 2k-5k.  Selling off just one or two of these allows me to buy the Caravan's entire supply of food & alcohol.  Given the amount of stuff that goes into said meals, I come out ahead in both Stockpiles and Production Value.  This process is exponential.

Edit: I lol'd at the Crocodile defense :D  I just recently set my Butcher to 'capture live Animal' on repeat, in the hopes of getting something interesting that I can use for War Training or Cage Trap defense.

Yea, prepared meals are a known exploit. Absurdly valuable when made by a good cook, easily raising the value of even otherwise mundane ingredients.

Also, 'capture live animal' is used to catch vermin. If you want to catch anything larger than a rat, you will have to set up cage traps and hope a larger animal wanders into them. Worst case scenario, you catch something worthless, like a bird. But it gives your animal trainers and your butchers some practice.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: December 29, 2013, 11:15:08 am »

Eventually I can trade for whole containers of Cloth & Leather, bypassing the 'raw materials' phase entirely and going straight to 'finished goods' production.  I have begun securing a few Pastures for milk/cheese & wool production, but for stuff like dyes & thread, going through the lengthy (and admittedly still rather confusing) process of Plant Fibers simply doesn't seem worth the effort.  Any thoughts or information are most welcome :)

You can keep an entire fort of 200+ dwarfs clothed with nothing but self-sourced pig tail clothes. You just need largish farm plots and two or three farmer's workshops completely dedicated to threshing, with looms (, dyeries) and clothiers directly adjacent. At high skills, moving materials to the workshop is the main limiting factor of the clothing industry, to the point that going without stockpiles usually is quicker.

You can get much more cloth from your own production than is available through trade. As an added bonus, cloth quality is added to the finished clothing items, similar to a decoration (i.e. +240☼ for any clothing item made from "masterful" pig tail/rope reed cloth).

Admittedly, the clothing industry takes quite a bit longer to get into full swing than a kitchen and the wealth gains aren't nearly as ridiculous. If you start out with an eye on the textile industry, pig tail robes are still a nice alternative to bone crafts as early trade good. Even a base-quality one is rated at 106☼.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: December 29, 2013, 01:42:54 pm »

I thought the Cooking goods seemed a bit too easy :-\  At least the extravagant meals keep my Dwarves happy, though seems I'll have to start working on a more legitimate source of income.  Also I was just beginning to suspect about the 'capture animal' bit.  Fortunately I brought a pair of Cats in my initial inventory, so I've had relatively little problem with vermin.  I have at least 1 Master Plant Gatherer, I guess the next step is read up on 'process into container', 'spin thread', etc.  Thanks for the info :)

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: December 29, 2013, 02:50:53 pm »

If I switch the "Invaders" option in LNP to off, will it stop everything from coming or just sieges?

Because I only want to stop sieges. At this point, I'm getting ridiculous amount of sieges throughout the year, and I can't keep up with the clutter of corpses and troll fur socks.

I still want megabeasts (dragons, rocs, etc) to come, especially since the only thing apart from sieges that ever showed up was a minotaur.
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 422