Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878930 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5685 on: December 06, 2013, 02:53:15 am »

Anyone know of a way to find a particular stockpile?

I thought I'd removed stockpiles #71 and 72, but they're creating orders for barreled seeds and I can't seem to locate the little buggers, so apparently not.  I've got DFHack and I'm not afraid to use it as a VERY large hammer in cases like this, so if there's a way there... :)

Check the (R)ooms menu, scroll upwards because stockpiles are towards the end of the list, find your stockpile and zoom to building items with (t).

Rock, thanks.  Forgot that's there, it's usually nearly impossible to work with.

UristMcMarch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: December 06, 2013, 04:15:12 am »

Wiki says that to become a metropolis my fortress needs to perform number of different jobs which is at least 220. Does "jobs" count one per capita, or Urist McDaVinci doing crafts, masonry and architecture count as three jobs? Can I increase safely my population cap after embark with lazy newb pack?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: December 06, 2013, 06:25:24 am »

on the wiki page it looks to me like you'd need to do 3 of the '50 jobs' (like craft bone/wood bolts), or 5 of those and the '20 gem' thing in a year. The easiest way would seem to me to be 50 x bone bolts, 20 cut gems and if booze is food related some brew drink and cooking, a total of 50 doors, cabinets, pots chests and the like. Where do mechanisms count? probably material. Making 50 armor and weapon things isn't hard when you melt down everything that's not masterwork quality. Does melting count as a metal job? Except for the gems, which usually sit around gathering dust with me, I do this every year anyway in a bigger fort.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:28:15 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: December 06, 2013, 03:26:28 pm »

What's the best way to level up a Building Architect?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: December 06, 2013, 03:41:04 pm »

build lots of road, remove lots of road, repeat? There are very few jobs that take architecture and non are easily set to repeat.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: December 06, 2013, 09:47:54 pm »

Set up binless block stockpile in sealable room, pause game, delete stockpile, start macro recording, set a row of supports to be built, move cursor to start of next row, stop recording, Ctrl-R macro to complete the rest of the supports, unpause game, lock the room when the architect comes in and make sure they don't have Masonry enabled.

Don't forget that they're in there...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: December 09, 2013, 11:17:51 pm »

I set up a single manual pump to pump magma from below into a quick reservoir on the same level with the pump. The inaccessible tile was properly flush with the reservoir wall.

I sent a dwarf to run the pump. This worked perfectly until the magma reached about depth 3/7 in the reservoir. Then the pump deconstructed, magma went everywhere, and tragedy. Sounds like the pump wasn't magma-safe, right? Before I built it I consulted the magma-safe materials article on the wiki, and I used:

Quartzite block
Green glass tube
Enormous green glass corkscrew

Moments after the pump deconstructed, I saw the corkscrew on the ground, but I could not find the quartzite block or green glass tube. Does anybody know what went wrong here? I have limited materials, and would like to avoid repositioning the reservoir (I would like to temporarily submerge the reservoir side of the inaccessible pump tile). It'd be great not to kill anybody else at the moment! Thanks.
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: December 10, 2013, 07:01:09 am »

Rock, thanks.  Forgot that's there, it's usually nearly impossible to work with.
Actually, if you use the dfhack search plugin, the room list becomes quite useful.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: December 10, 2013, 11:39:08 pm »

Couple of quick questions on mood mechanics:
One of my fort's children had a mood; is this intended to happen? Kind of annoying to have to wait to use the legendary skill status.

My current active (fey) mood lists 'rock blocks' a requirement. Wiki says that means rock/metal blocks; does this mean said Urist McPicky is only looking one of the two types, or that either will suffice? I have stone blocks, and it seems silly to me that 'rock blocks' would actually mean metal, especially seeing as fey moods are supposed to be the easiest ones to satisfy.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: December 10, 2013, 11:45:00 pm »

One of my fort's children had a mood; is this intended to happen? Kind of annoying to have to wait to use the legendary skill status.

My current active (fey) mood lists 'rock blocks' a requirement. Wiki says that means rock/metal blocks; does this mean said Urist McPicky is only looking one of the two types, or that either will suffice? I have stone blocks, and it seems silly to me that 'rock blocks' would actually mean metal, especially seeing as fey moods are supposed to be the easiest ones to satisfy.

Anyone but a baby can enter a mood. It's annoying, since children never have any skills, so they always become some sort of craftsman instead of something useful.

Any block should suffice, I believe. I can't say for certain, since I don't make metal blocks, it's a waste of material. But I've never seen mooders ask for metal ones.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: December 10, 2013, 11:54:39 pm »

Anyone but a baby can enter a mood. It's annoying, since children never have any skills, so they always become some sort of craftsman instead of something useful.

Any block should suffice, I believe. I can't say for certain, since I don't make metal blocks, it's a waste of material. But I've never seen mooders ask for metal ones.
It seems you are correct; I made some silver blocks and he isn't taking them. So, I have no idea how to get him to take it. I made sure he wasn't in a burrow for some odd reason, and even if he was, I think moody dwarves will leave their burrow for items (maybe not?). His demands are . . .

wait, wait. I think I realized the hitch. He's asking for rough and cut gems; he only has rough because I traded away my cut gems to the last caravan. He hasn't claimed the blocks because the cut gems come before them in the process. Strange that he's asking for both kinds, though, seeing as he'll cut the rough ones anyway.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: December 11, 2013, 12:03:07 am »

It seems you are correct; I made some silver blocks and he isn't taking them. So, I have no idea how to get him to take it. I made sure he wasn't in a burrow for some odd reason, and even if he was, I think moody dwarves will leave their burrow for items (maybe not?). His demands are . . .

wait, wait. I think I realized the hitch. He's asking for rough and cut gems; he only has rough because I traded away my cut gems to the last caravan. He hasn't claimed the blocks because the cut gems come before them in the process. Strange that he's asking for both kinds, though, seeing as he'll cut the rough ones anyway.

Sometimes one item will get in the way of another, yes. Though most of the time it's bones for me. Not too sure why, since I don't use them often.

Cut gems are convenient, since you can cut rocks if you really need to. Uncut gems aren't always as readily available depending on your luck. But raw glass counts as an uncut gem.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: December 11, 2013, 12:04:53 am »

Don't question it!  Just get him the damn gems and then back quietly away!
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: December 11, 2013, 03:54:59 am »

On the DF2012:Legendary artifact page, under the Other notes section, it mentions:

Sometimes dwarves will grow particularly attached to weapons and armor, and if they become attached enough, they will name their armor/weapons. The armor/weapon will then be listed as an artifact. What causes dwarves to name their weapons is unknown - time alone will suffice (though it may take a very long time), but slaying an important historical figure such as a forgotten beast will often be enough.

Thing is, I remember reading the v0.31 Talk:Legendary artifact page, which recapped part of Dwarf Fortress Talk #7. And Toady was explaining the code behind dwarves getting moods and how there is a cap or "allowance" on the number of legendary artifacts a fort can produce. Essentially, there is a formula that takes into account the total number of mundane items produced by the fort and the number of unhidden floor tiles and this gives your fort a specific "artifact credit". And if you haven't reached the artifact credit limit and you have at least one dwarf that has yet to create an artifact, then one of them might get a mood.

Question: If a dwarf becomes attached enough to a mundane weapon or armor that it becomes named and listed as an Artifact, will that detract from the "artifact credit" and possibly take the place of your fort producing another actual artifact?

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: December 11, 2013, 09:25:46 am »

In the wiki and on forum I read about mounted siege and sieges with caged dragons, my current fortress is 60 year old around 200 dwarfs and mountain home. Yet the sieges is still as far as I can see only trolls and goblins?

Is there some kind of special triggers you need to fulfill or is it just a question of luck?

I play 34.11 LNP the upgraded version.

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 422