Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878899 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5670 on: December 03, 2013, 07:20:20 pm »

Am I understanding the wiki correctly that in semi-wild training state, she will randomly attack/dragonfire my fort? And that she could revert to that state at any time from Trained?
Semi-Wild is a level of training just like Trained and above, and takes about the same level of time to decay to the next stage (fully wild, in this case).

I've found that suitability for the job, as decided by DFHack, makes a lot of difference if you don't have any dwarves with existing skill.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: December 03, 2013, 10:01:45 pm »

Thanks. I didn't have a trainer so I went with Therapist's best recommendation; seems to be working pretty well. The dragon isn't reverting and it's bonded to the trainer. My architect also adopted it, which led to it going outside and attacking a goblin thief...that was unfortunate...big fire, lots of artifacts that aren't going out..Will flooding them work? And to permanently get rid of the flammable grass (I have a castle style topside area) are floors my best option? I tried paved roads but I can't build over them, which I'd like to do. Going to need lots of obsidian blocks if so!

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: December 03, 2013, 11:25:31 pm »

So I'm curious, I put two of the prisoners I had in a cage
How do I disarm them, as it won't let me look at their equips. Should I just chain them up somewhere?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: December 03, 2013, 11:36:56 pm »

So I'm curious, I put two of the prisoners I had in a cage
How do I disarm them, as it won't let me look at their equips. Should I just chain them up somewhere?

You could chain them up. An alternative is to use the mass-dump designation (press d-b-d, I believe), then use it over their cages. Everything inside the cage will be marked for dumping. Not the goblin though. Creatures inside will not be marked for dumping, since only items can be marked for dumping.

Be sure to un-designate the cage itself, so that it isn't brought to your garbage dump. If it is accidentally brought to the dump, just un-forbid it. Dumping the cage won't let the goblin out.

E: Forgot to mention, make sure to use the claim designation over the cage too. Items brought by outsiders are forbidden by default, and won't be dumped unless you un-forbid them.

BackwardsCup

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: December 04, 2013, 04:41:14 am »

Totally new to Dwarf Fortress here. Among the many problems I've come across, only one is significant. (at least as far as surviving is concerned.)

I'm running quite low on alcohol. I've built a still, and have a plot growing plump helmets. I currently have plenty of plump helmets, and they  are shown as brewable in the kitchen menu. However, every time I try to brew a drink the task is immediately canceled, stating I have no brewable items. Please help, thanks!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: December 04, 2013, 05:27:34 am »

Usually, these questions turn out to be pathing issues. 

So, to start the troubleshooting:

Do your dwarfs have a valid path from the still to the stockpile your plump helmets are stored in?  Check that all stairs are properly formed, that the still is not blocked, that no ramps have been removed, etc.;

Have you forbidden the plump helmets?  Sometimes, when mass forbidding items (via d-b-f), players unintentionally cover important items;

Are the plump helmets in transit or in use already?  If they have 'TSK' beside their descriptions when you hover your {k} cursor over them, they're otherwise in use.  This often happens when they're stored in a barrel, which is in transit to pick up/harvest more of them;

Are dwarfs already eating them?  This is a subset of the point above - if a hungry dwarf has already marked a plump helmet for eating, it is unavailable for brewing;

Have they finished growing?  If all of your plump helmets are still unripe, your brewer cannot use them.

Xxx
xxx
xxx

This is the layout of the still.  The capital X is an impassable tile; if the only access point you've left for your still is through that square, no dwarf can get into/out of the still to collect and brew anything.  If you've built walls around your still, try removing one or more to allow access through any of the other 8 tiles.

If none of these questions narrows down the issue, please provide more information.  Screenshots are especially helpful.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: December 04, 2013, 05:55:08 am »

Thanks. I didn't have a trainer so I went with Therapist's best recommendation; seems to be working pretty well. The dragon isn't reverting and it's bonded to the trainer. My architect also adopted it, which led to it going outside and attacking a goblin thief...that was unfortunate...big fire, lots of artifacts that aren't going out..Will flooding them work? And to permanently get rid of the flammable grass (I have a castle style topside area) are floors my best option? I tried paved roads but I can't build over them, which I'd like to do. Going to need lots of obsidian blocks if so!

Building roads may work better for large areas. It requires an architect, but only a third as much materials

Anyway, that's why I generally advice against taming dragons. They have a bad habbit of incinerating everything including their trainer or 'owner'. I havn't managed to really effectively use a dragon for defence without massive damage on my side too, without going through a lot of effort just for one dragon. A thing to remember is that it is probably useless in a melee unless it is one of the rare older dragons. Most dragons tend to be a bit younger and quite small.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Uruth Kranon

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a leaf on the wind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: December 04, 2013, 12:37:38 pm »

I got a question. I am trying to get my Fort up and running and realized that amongst the traditional deciduous trees I have a smattering of Feather Trees. I am rather excited to get the stockpile next to my workshop to carry only feather wood so my barrels and bins can weigh next to nothing. Unfortunately feather wood is not on the list of wood types that I can allow in the stockpile list. Besides only cutting feather trees as I need them, which is what I will probably do, I am wondering if feather trees are covered under one of the other wood categories in the stockpile settings screen.

Cheers!

P.S. It is rather distressing that I cannot assign what kind of wood to use in the manager screen in the same way I can assign what kind of metal.
"That was the strongest poison I could lay my hands on, and all it did was make him nauseous." (Baron of Nist Akath)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: December 04, 2013, 01:07:10 pm »

I got a question. I am trying to get my Fort up and running and realized that amongst the traditional deciduous trees I have a smattering of Feather Trees. I am rather excited to get the stockpile next to my workshop to carry only feather wood so my barrels and bins can weigh next to nothing. Unfortunately feather wood is not on the list of wood types that I can allow in the stockpile list. Besides only cutting feather trees as I need them, which is what I will probably do, I am wondering if feather trees are covered under one of the other wood categories in the stockpile settings screen.

Cheers!

P.S. It is rather distressing that I cannot assign what kind of wood to use in the manager screen in the same way I can assign what kind of metal.

The only stockpile that lets you choose specific types of wood is the wood stockpile. Feather wood is in the list, and is listed as Feather Tree.

It's a shame that you can't choose wood-types in the manager menu, but you can control it using stockpile links. Just have a feather wood only stockpile linked to a single craftsman workshop right next to it.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: December 04, 2013, 01:12:02 pm »

Cheers!

there may be easier ways: I would dump all the feather wood to a tile closer to the carpenter than the wood stockpile.  then un forbid them when ready to make your containers
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: December 04, 2013, 10:15:27 pm »

Easiest way is to use DFHack's job alteration ability to choose what wood type it uses. Select the job in the workshop and hit alt-A. That plus workflow are lifesavers in ensuring your fort makes the right type of goods you want.

I usually set up a workflow restraint + job to make a bunch of masterful feather wood beds, for example. My preferred look for beds, and I like to spoil my dorfs.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:17:45 pm by Yaotzin »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: December 05, 2013, 05:18:48 pm »

If I put a bunch of statues in a meeting zone, will the dwarves admire them or do I have to make it a statue garden?

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: December 05, 2013, 05:36:06 pm »

They will admire them even without garden.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: December 06, 2013, 02:39:44 am »

Anyone know of a way to find a particular stockpile?

I thought I'd removed stockpiles #71 and 72, but they're creating orders for barreled seeds and I can't seem to locate the little buggers, so apparently not.  I've got DFHack and I'm not afraid to use it as a VERY large hammer in cases like this, so if there's a way there... :)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: December 06, 2013, 02:49:29 am »

Anyone know of a way to find a particular stockpile?

I thought I'd removed stockpiles #71 and 72, but they're creating orders for barreled seeds and I can't seem to locate the little buggers, so apparently not.  I've got DFHack and I'm not afraid to use it as a VERY large hammer in cases like this, so if there's a way there... :)

Check the (R)ooms menu, scroll upwards because stockpiles are towards the end of the list, find your stockpile and zoom to building items with (t).
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 422