Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878909 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5655 on: December 02, 2013, 03:18:17 am »

Buildings haven't changed that much since 0.31.01 and that mod should still work as-is in the current version.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: December 02, 2013, 04:13:24 am »

How do I get my dorfs to not dogpile into a single tile of a 12 tile sand collection zone?

make several 1tilesand collection spots. The dorfs will go to the sand collection place closest to the glass furnace they got their job from. If it's one big spot they'll go to the top left most tile, as you've noticed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: December 02, 2013, 09:57:03 am »

How do I get my dorfs to not dogpile into a single tile of a 12 tile sand collection zone?

make several 1tilesand collection spots. The dorfs will go to the sand collection place closest to the glass furnace they got their job from. If it's one big spot they'll go to the top left most tile, as you've noticed

I see, thanks.

Also, bit of an update regarding the two artifacts, while trying to off the newly elected mayor (ballistia bolts? No thank you), he accidemtially picked up the artifact flask. Since I was initially trying to get him to dodge into the volcano, I didn't want to lose the artifact that way, so I made some copper flasks and got him to drop the flask in the finished goods stockpile next to the depot. Not the most optimal spot, but it works.

As for the modded building thing, yeah I had heard of it and had considered putting it in, but didn't get around to it I guess.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: December 02, 2013, 10:23:37 am »

You can do it in-game if you alter another workshop's materials to take gem items. Any workshops of that type that you've already built won't deconstruct due to incorrect materials.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: December 02, 2013, 10:44:51 am »

Pff, I did that and they are still crowding into the top left spot. I did put a bag QS nearby, so don't know if thats doing it.

Edit: Seems that no matter what I do, they crowd into the top leftmost spot of the grid. Not sure if all of them dogpiling affects the speed or will make them make friends with the other dwarves crowded into the tile.

Edit2: Does it affect the speed? According to DT, they don't seem to be making friends faster because of the dogpiling.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:06:00 pm by smjjames »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: December 02, 2013, 04:10:23 pm »

it affects speed. Only one is standing and working, the rest is crouching and working at reduced speed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: December 02, 2013, 04:27:39 pm »

Just to touch on the making friends thing: I'm almost positive that dwarves only make friends if they're idle.  Even if they're having to sit around to wait their turn on the sand tile, they still have the gather sand job and thus won't make friends.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: December 02, 2013, 04:48:56 pm »

Yeah well, I can't seem to make them not crowd into a single tile. :P

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: December 02, 2013, 04:56:33 pm »

Pff, I did that and they are still crowding into the top left spot. I did put a bag QS nearby, so don't know if thats doing it.

Edit: Seems that no matter what I do, they crowd into the top leftmost spot of the grid.

Do you have more than one glass furnace? Are these on the same side of the sand zones, or on opposite sides? Maybe try having glass furnaces on opposite sides? Maybe have more than one stockpile for bags, on opposite sides?

Edit2: Does it affect the speed? According to DT, they don't seem to be making friends faster because of the dogpiling.
Just to touch on the making friends thing: I'm almost positive that dwarves only make friends if they're idle.

Dwarves making friends is a double-edged sword, anyway. It does give them happy thoughts. However, having friends die will make them depressed. They might go insane, often leading to tantrum spirals and loads of Fun.

It's such that many players consider the dangers of making friends to far outweigh the benefits. Some players even design their forts around the concept of isolating their dwarves. (Example: See the Panic room design thread for ideas. Also, see Subtremaine's "Iso-Pod" design.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:06:26 pm by Thundercraft »

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: December 02, 2013, 04:57:55 pm »

Yeah well, I can't seem to make them not crowd into a single tile. :P
well by this time, they are just rolling down to the lowest point :)
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: December 02, 2013, 05:43:52 pm »

Edit: Seems that no matter what I do, they crowd into the top leftmost spot of the grid.

Do you have more than one glass furnace? Are these on the same side of the sand zones, or on opposite sides? Maybe try having glass furnaces on opposite sides? Maybe have more than one stockpile for bags, on opposite sides?

The sockpile for bags (quantum stockpile actually) is a few tiles to the north right above it, the furnaces (all 30 of them, and regulated using workflow) are way off to the side in an open area of the mines.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: December 02, 2013, 06:22:15 pm »

Heh, I remember that iso-pod fort. All the soil was in the reanimating area, and the fortress was wrecked after I butchered a forgotten beast in a butchery a few tiles away from the safe area and then sent in the military to try and kill the marauding chitin.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: December 03, 2013, 05:37:39 pm »

Quick question about animal training - specifically a dragon, so I'd rather not lose the fort testing :)

Am I understanding the wiki correctly that in semi-wild training state, she will randomly attack/dragonfire my fort? And that she could revert to that state at any time from Trained? I'm thinking I should only let her out the cage in a training state above Trained then to be safe, yes?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: December 03, 2013, 05:47:08 pm »

Quick question about animal training - specifically a dragon, so I'd rather not lose the fort testing :)

Am I understanding the wiki correctly that in semi-wild training state, she will randomly attack/dragonfire my fort? And that she could revert to that state at any time from Trained? I'm thinking I should only let her out the cage in a training state above Trained then to be safe, yes?

Not quite. It may decide to spout dragonfire on a whim, but it is always because they have seen something that frightened them, like a wild animal or an invader.

Alternatively, it may be breathing fire because it has reverted to fully-wild, which happens when it does not get re-trained periodically. Every wild animal will slowly lose their training status unless they are fully tame, though most wild-born animals cannot be fully tamed. It can happen with baby animals born in-fort though, if they are trained before reaching adulthood.

If her training level is low, consider putting her on a restraint, and designate the area as a training zone.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:51:55 pm by BlackFlyme »

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: December 03, 2013, 06:15:04 pm »

Currently my Dorfs aren't very motivated to move things that are dumped. Along with that, every now and then when I dig down using my ramp system, the miners get stuck, and seem too stupid to go back up.

EDIT: Also, are prisoners supposed to be invulnerable?
I had a Kobold Thief Prisoner I was unable to get stuff confiscated from, despite orders to, and the Lasher Captain attacked, and was murdered by counter attack. He didn't get a single successful hit in, when he has killed an FB before.
Though, when I marked the loincloth for dumping, a child ran up to the kobold, and snatched the loincloth away.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:22:48 pm by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 422