Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879629 times)

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4710 on: June 22, 2013, 02:50:59 am »

I don't know if that bug was removed, but "back in my times" tiles could change from uderground to outdoor, but not back. That means you can dig your water cistern hellameters deep in the ground, open it from up for just a second, cover it back, and it will freeze anyway because game considers it as "outdoor"

Sorry for my english again. Really.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: June 22, 2013, 05:32:14 am »

You don't even need to open it to the sky, all that's needed to convert a 'dark subterranean' to a 'light aboveground' tile is removing whatever _natural_ cover was above it. If you build a ceiling of floors over a bit of soil and then channel it away, the resultant 'indoor' tiles will still be 'light aboveground'. Seems that channelling away a floor 'copies' the light/dark-outside/inside properties of the tile above to the one below.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: June 22, 2013, 09:35:53 am »

Am I right that if I set the pop cap to 1 and the child cap to 1000:1000, my fort will only be populated by the Founder Seven, the first two waves, and their offspring?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: June 22, 2013, 09:50:37 am »

There will be no offspring, the children do not go over the pop cap.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: June 22, 2013, 09:54:38 am »

I believe babies and children do go over the soft cap.  Babies and children also ignore burrow lines, well just children, babies are still attached to mom, and she doesn't cross burrow lines, unless she's a soldier on a different activity than CIV.  Pop'll go up to 1001 population, Miriage.  Aslong as 1 female is alive, eventually.  I'd hate to view that females description.  Holy macral, look at all those lines of siblings.

If ya makeown from DFhack all the dwarfs from the first caravan, then the same thing will happen - except you'll have more breeding stock, than 7.  In this way, you won't need to set the 1 for the pop cap.  I think you maybe able to just makeown the ambassador for the same thing, without all the extra peasantry.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: June 22, 2013, 10:45:36 am »

Question: Is there a way to remove the pause associated with, animals reverting to a wild state, without Shark Dentistry?  I'm a bad coder. Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: June 22, 2013, 11:56:07 am »

Am I right that if I set the pop cap to 1 and the child cap to 1000:1000, my fort will only be populated by the Founder Seven, the first two waves, and their offspring?
A pop-cap of anything below 10, and the default child-cap setting does this for me every time. The default is 100:1000, which allows 100 babies/kids and 1,000% of the fortress to be babies/kids. So the second number is basically meaningless by default. Your change ups that to 1,000 babies/kids in the fort and they are allowed to be 1,000% of the population.

I actually did a pop-cap of 20 for awhile, but then I got a couple really small initial immigration waves and the third was like 15 guys. I don't do a sub-7 pop-cap because sometimes I want immigrants. With a 15-worker-fort all your guys are important. If somebody gets killed it's a huge problem, and if I'm down to five guys I really need an immigration wave.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: June 22, 2013, 12:45:07 pm »

Question: Is there a way to remove the pause associated with, animals reverting to a wild state, without Shark Dentistry?  I'm a bad coder. Thanks, Knutor
IIRD there is, but I don't know how. It's the same way you remove the pause when a baby is born or when attempting to dig through damp/warm stone. Also, writing your questions in green is disturbing  ???

Off to do -Science- on the matter of pop cap and children.
Will do a pop cap = 1 and child cap = 100:1000 fort to check. I think the results should be written somewhere in the wiki, since this quesiton is asked frequently.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: June 22, 2013, 02:07:54 pm »

The file is
data/init/announcements.txt
The line is
[TRAINING_FULL_REVERSION:A_D:D_D:P:R]
The "P" means pause and the "R" means recenter.  Change it to
[TRAINING_FULL_REVERSION:A_D:D_D]

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: June 22, 2013, 03:15:29 pm »

Most of these animal training reverts are behind animal proof doors and thus, not a high priority, well high enough to merit a pause, anyway.  TYVM

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: June 23, 2013, 02:15:59 am »

-Science- is running it's course.
New fort. Pop cap set to 1 and child cap to 100:1000.
Two migrant waves have reached the fortress, and two babies have been born. They could be born of an older pregnancy. No definitive conclusion yet.

RtDs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: June 23, 2013, 03:39:49 am »

if you have two migrant waves, I'd guess adult population at 14 or so, that means there will be 14 x 10 (100% is 14, so 1000% is...) 140 or 100 children, whichever is reached first. Don't be surprised if more babies are born

babies being born ignores pop_cap and is ruled by the baby_cap

from d_init.txt
You can set the maximum population of your fortress here.  Keep in mind that your population must be at least 80
140 according to wiki
to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features.

[POPULATION_CAP:XXX]

This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:XXX:XXX]

from the wiki page on immigration:
, POPULATION_CAP still allows babies to be born. You will need to alter BABY_CAP in order to change it.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Immigration
searching for 'migrants' gets you there too
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:54:29 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: June 23, 2013, 03:51:27 am »

Well, it's confirmed. Babies ignore the pop cap. Now I have proof (newest baby has a fortress-born older brother)!

RtDs!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: June 23, 2013, 11:05:46 am »

I know animals breed via spores, but what about dwarves?  I assumed that was the case, until I read this part of the wiki entry:

Quote from: DF Wiki
The wife will give birth to a baby every year, until she or her husband dies, or until the fortress's population limit or child limit is reached. There are no visible signs of pregnancy, and the only effective means of contraception (other than the child limit) is physical isolation.

Does this refer to physical isolation before (thus preventing relationship gain in the first place) or after marriage?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: June 23, 2013, 11:43:55 am »

I wouldn't trust this, since according to -Science-, babies ignore the pop cap.

RtDs!
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 422