Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879941 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4350 on: April 17, 2013, 08:17:15 am »

How do I get the count to lay off the mandates? His lust for bucklers, anvils, and battle axes is starting to hamper production of things I want produced NOW.
He's already Ecstatic and satisfied with his stuff. Wat do?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: April 17, 2013, 09:43:03 am »

@Skorpion :
The most appreciated method on the DF Forums seem to be the Unfortunate_accident.

If he is happy enough you can always try to ignore his wishes by :
-Either make sure your Captain of the guard is a totally useless weakling and has a feather wood( or adamantine) crossbow as weapon, as well as no Chains for Justice. This converts Punishing of Dwarves who violated Production orders into a slightly violent tickling party.
-Have no Captain of the guard at all.
That will of course make your noble less happy over time, so watch it carefully( due to the bad thought about criminals not being punished and missed production dates). I would say it should be safe to skip every second mandate, if he is constantly ecstatic otherwise. 

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: April 17, 2013, 09:58:42 am »

I'm loath to be rid of the guy; he's only demanded anvils, battle axes, and bucklers in all his time in office, and has never once whined about them being promptly melted down again.
Is there a way to stop him making them that doesn't involve killing him, or losing other dwarves?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: April 17, 2013, 10:14:39 am »

Anvils, Battle Axes and Bucklers aren't really useless now ... I think I would be happy about my Armor/Weaponsmiths's constant Power-Leveling ^^ Just build some more Forges and Smelters and add some more Dwarves to the appropriate jobs. Use the Novice ones for training ( your nobles demands) and the capable ones for the stuff you actually need.

As far as I know there is no way of stopping him to make those demands, so I would advice make the best out of it, as it is the way that harms your dwarves the least. Extremely weak Captain of the guard(when ignoring his demands) is the second best way to avoid too much havoc, to your nobles happiness as well as to the health of your Dwarves.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: April 17, 2013, 11:39:00 am »

You could also just use the mass dump option on the cage (d-b-d, I think) and then manually remove the dump off of the cage itself (k-d). That should just order the corpse inside to be dumped.

I don't want to dump the cage. I only want to dump the skeleton.
When I go to the cage with k and hit d it marks the cage for dump, not the skeleton

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: April 17, 2013, 11:41:17 am »

You could also just use the mass dump option on the cage (d-b-d, I think) and then manually remove the dump off of the cage itself (k-d). That should just order the corpse inside to be dumped.

When I go to the cage with k and hit d it marks the cage for dump, not the skeleton

d-b-d and d-b-c over the cage. Then undesignate the cage with k.

Alternatively, build the cage, look inside it from the t menu, and designate the corpse for dumping.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: April 17, 2013, 12:21:30 pm »

As Skorpion alluded to the cage is never actually dumped. It's just that the mass dump methods (d-b-d) order everything within the tiles to be dumped (so both the cage and their contents) and so then we manually un-dump the cage with (k-d). The end result is that the contents of the cage are ordered to be dumped but the cage itself is not.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: April 17, 2013, 12:35:04 pm »

Alternatively, just dump the cage as well, and simply reclaim it later.

What's the best way to remove water from way deep underground?
I set up an obsidian farm in a failed water reactor pit, and it has this habit of over-filling with the water. I'd ideally like to AVOID a pump stack.

Also, is magma finite?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:43:50 pm by Skorpion »

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: April 17, 2013, 12:58:02 pm »

How do I get the count to lay off the mandates? His lust for bucklers, anvils, and battle axes is starting to hamper production of things I want produced NOW.
He's already Ecstatic and satisfied with his stuff. Wat do?
Something to keep in mind is that you've got plenty of time (I don't know the exact amount of time, but I do know that I once had two caravans arrive between the date of issuing and the date of fulfilling) to fill a mandate, there's no rush if you have something more urgent to do. In fact, you can exploit this fact to reduce the frequency of mandates. The timer for starting up the next mandate starts from the end of the prior mandate, not its beginning, so if you delay for a while, that'll also delay the issuing of the next mandate. Let's say that your count wants 3 battle axes. Make two immediately, then hold off on the third until the mandate turns yellow in the nobles screen (actually, you could probably hold off longer, but it's best to be safe, and this way you don't have to keep track of the dates yourself).
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: April 17, 2013, 12:58:29 pm »

What's the best way to remove water from way deep underground?
I set up an obsidian farm in a failed water reactor pit, and it has this habit of over-filling with the water. I'd ideally like to AVOID a pump stack.

Also, is magma finite?
Is the water connected to an infinite source or just a pool?

And magma is infinite from both the magma sea and from magma tubes (though the tubes will take a fair bit longer to refill).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: April 17, 2013, 03:31:44 pm »

The water is connected to an infinite source (the river), but is doled out to the farm in set amounts by the systems that prevent it flooding the fort.

It'll be coming down under a lot of pressure, and in a large but finite quantity. I'm unsure if it's enough to flood the area after the obsidian has been cast.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: April 17, 2013, 03:59:52 pm »

Can I order dwarfs to throw corpses (non dwarven) or bodyparts in my pit zone with my caught enemies? So they will eventually have a painful death? Omg I'm terrible.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: April 17, 2013, 04:18:00 pm »

Can I order dwarfs to throw corpses (non dwarven) or bodyparts in my pit zone with my caught enemies? So they will eventually have a painful death? Omg I'm terrible.

Not from the pit menu. You can create a dump zone next to the pit, but that will get EVERYTHING you designate for dumping thrown in there.
However, using a minecart fed from a corpse stockpile, you can throw body parts, corpses, and butchery waste into the pit that way. Just be sure to remove butcherable wild animals from the stockpile and minecart lists so you can butcher what the hunters and military catch. Use a track stop set to 'dump contents' into the pit, and boom.
And don't use rollers with too much force, or you'll send the minecart there too.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: April 18, 2013, 01:00:46 am »

And if you think that is terrible you clearly have not read the entirety of the forums
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: April 18, 2013, 05:35:57 am »

It's a pain to have to get the minecart out again, is all.

Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 422