Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879716 times)

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3720 on: January 03, 2013, 03:37:40 pm »

Ive having trouble with traders since they refuse to trade due to : not imagining with how my items are that i could get thier goods, or something like that. why is that?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: January 03, 2013, 04:00:25 pm »

"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

Can I sig this? It made me laugh more than it should have  :D
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: January 03, 2013, 04:11:56 pm »

Can I sig this? It made me laugh more than it should have  :D

sure, go ahead. Is it just me though who thinks a stockpile for the severed limbs of your dwarfs is... creepy?

Ive having trouble with traders since they refuse to trade due to : not imagining with how my items are that i could get thier goods, or something like that. why is that?

the value of the goods you give in return for theirs isn't to their liking. They want a profit and unless they like you a lot, they want about double the value of what they give you. They're traders, not charity, that profit is food for the animals, clothing, and next years cargo (bla bla bla).

think of it like this, someone buys the newest gadget in Japan for 30$ and brings it to the USA. What do you think the price will be? 30? 35? Most likely, somewhere from 45 to 75

in short: you're not paying enough for it
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:13:53 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: January 03, 2013, 04:12:45 pm »

"the human blabla has arrived . A meduim sized creature prone to great amibition. " I dont understand do I kill it :P?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: January 03, 2013, 04:14:44 pm »

"the human blabla has arrived . A meduim sized creature prone to great amibition. " I dont understand do I kill it :P?

were-creature at the wrong time of the month, it will most likely run away
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: January 04, 2013, 01:16:41 am »

Something quick, so I'll post it here:

Can someone please provide me with an interesting embark and a world with an interesting history?

Just two restictions:
-Nothing drasticly hard, like glaciers, war with several civs and so on
-Max 4x4 embark

Nothing fancy, just a world you enjoyed and think I might enjoy as well. Thanks =)
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: January 04, 2013, 02:31:55 am »

Have you checked out the Worldgen Cookbook Thread? There are plenty of different worlds in there.

Also you might want to mention if you are playing with any mods or just want vanilla.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: January 04, 2013, 03:37:15 am »

Just vanilla.

Thing is, I've already spend days, weeks even, genning worlds and finding the perfect side. (And never being entirely happy...) I'm sick of the process and would be very grateful if someone could take that from me.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: January 04, 2013, 08:08:52 am »

Should I use quick fort?

grouchysmurf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: January 04, 2013, 08:26:05 am »

Should I use quick fort?

Definitely yes.

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: January 04, 2013, 08:28:36 am »

Meh Blue prints look wierd and not sure how to make them -.-

grouchysmurf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: January 04, 2013, 08:41:40 am »

I am also new to QF (have been using it for three or four days now) and never had a chance to use it for anything but designation of digging tunnels but anyway it is as simple as it gets.

A blueprint is just a sequence of keys pressed automagically by the QF itself -- it moves around the pointer and marks the location to be either dug or smoothed or whatever. In the blueprint you would position build/designate commands just as you would on a real map. Hence a file of:

Code: [Select]
d,d,d
d,d,d
d,d,d

would dig designate a 3x3 room to be dug. With Meta-F you open a file, press 'd' to get to designation menu, then press Meta-D to designate the area. With Meta-Q, Meta-W, Meta-A, Meta-S you assign a corner from which a designation will start.

As simple as that. Of course, there is much more hidden inside, such as repetitions, rotations, whatnot. This I have not yet explored but definitely there is a lot potential in it.

Good luck.

(For larger blueprints I would use a spreadsheet and save the file as a CSV).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:47:00 am by grouchysmurf »

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: January 04, 2013, 09:03:25 am »

Okay I have some other Questions. There are 2 options that I am dont recogonize: The hauling and routes. What are these used for? Secondly, How do u guys handle Hauling.

Vndetta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: January 04, 2013, 10:19:57 am »

Okay I have some other Questions. There are 2 options that I am dont recogonize: The hauling and routes. What are these used for? Secondly, How do u guys handle Hauling.

Those are both features relating to the new minecart and track system. The wiki has some pretty detailed info on how to build and use minecarts and tracks and set up hauling routes. Essentially once you set these things up, like a little railroad, your dwarves can haul things back and forth in carts instead of by hand and its much faster - a minecart can hold a lot of items, and even liquids like water or magma. I've even seen some people on the forums here use them as projectile weapons....
But anyway, it's a complicated system to figure out, but definitely check out the wiki for instructions and ask questions if you have trouble with setting up something specific.

On an unrelated note, a few posts back someone was discussing a cloth/thread stockpile problem, I just wanted to chime in and say that it's a good idea to deconstruct the workshop if you ever see one not using something you know you have available. I swore (literally, there was a lot of swearing) that I had all my links and whatnot correct but kept getting job cancellations anyway - deconstructing the workshop and rebuilding it, or building another, clearly showed that I'd messed up the links (because the new workshop grabbed the materials just fine).

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: January 04, 2013, 12:11:35 pm »

I've even seen some people on the forums here use them as projectile weapons....
That's what I want to ask you about. Will minecarts get pushed by water pressure? And will it be faster than a corridor full of rollers?
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 422