Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879761 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3630 on: December 21, 2012, 11:20:39 pm »

For real last question--it looks as if there's a ton of items laying around my trade depot. Haulers don't recognize them. Most of it is wood, some appears to be crafts I brought to trade but didn't end up using. How do I get this stuff out of the depot and into the fort?
My advice is don't. Next caravan you won't have to haul the damn things back to the Depot. They'll be there already. Instead of doing two jobs (haul there, and back) you'll do zero.

The only reason to haul them back is if some nasty things (like Keas or Kobolds) are looting your depot. And even then it's generally more efficient to arm a dorf with a pointy sick, and have him protect the Depot.

If you really want to get this stuff back inside you need three things. First you need a valid stockpile accepting the good, second you need a free dorf with the Hauler labor enabled and nothing to distract him (ie: parties, the mass-engraving job you just put the entire fort on, etc.), and finally he needs a path to the Depot.

Nick

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: December 22, 2012, 02:52:41 am »

Unfortunately there's a lot of wood I traded for, which I badly need, laying around the depot. I've got plenty of stockpile space and haulers for it, but the dwarves won't haul it and my carpenter won't use it. It doesn't appear in my stocks either.

I'm assuming if I just deconstruct the depot it'll go up for grabs?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: December 22, 2012, 04:48:24 am »

check if it's forbidden for some reason first or if there is some issue like accidentally breaking the path
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: December 22, 2012, 07:04:38 am »

Very generally, I'm having a hard time coming up with good ways to make enough beds for my forts when they start exceeding 100 dwarves. No embark has enough trees. Do i just trade for wood, or is there a method of bedroom management that makes it so they share them?

Buying wood is effective if you reserve it for beds and charcoal. Use metal to make bins and barrels.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: December 22, 2012, 10:52:23 am »

check if it's forbidden for some reason first or if there is some issue like accidentally breaking the path

Nothing in my stocks shows forbidden logs, but the wood does seem to be counted in my stocks (it shows me possessing, if I recall, 50 or 60 logs, which I could have only gotten in trade).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: December 22, 2012, 01:28:16 pm »

Buying wood is effective if you reserve it for beds and charcoal. Use metal to make bins and barrels.
You don't need many barrels unless you're running a syrup industry. You certainly don't need metal ones -- rock pots will do just fine, and are larger than wooden barrels but only a bit heavier. You can also import barrels, either directly buying them or buying barrels of alcohol (or milk). Bins are a little trickier because traders don't bring empty bins and don't always bring binned items, but you can request a bunch of leather at +1 priority, buy the bins of leather, and then sell just the leather back to the traders. Cloth works too.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

PuLP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: December 22, 2012, 01:38:48 pm »

Hey, i'm wondering if ecstatic dwarfs are supposed to be murderers ? I had one dwarf punching another one in my legendary dining hall, both were ecstatic and probably drunk, i did find this cool they do some fight while drinking but when going there i just saw a death dwarf lying on the floor, a floor covered in blood, strangely the victim got killed by the one and only punch in the face, but might be normal to die from a very strong dwarf i don't know... and annoyingly the victim was my legendary weaponsmith (by chance). Is it what is called "fun" ? the game randomly kills your legendary workers ?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:41:07 pm by PuLP »

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: December 22, 2012, 01:59:28 pm »

well, it's hardly random.

PuLP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: December 22, 2012, 02:09:02 pm »

Yeah it wasn't random, did some more research with "random murder" tag and someone else was talking about having dwarfs killed by punch, so it look like i have missed a mandatory from the mayor and since i do not have any jail my weaponsmith have been beated, and beating = death most of the time due to skull fracture, maybe there are ways to reduce the damage.
Had so many things to think about and i did not care about justice and mandatories yet, seems like the fun potential of this game is unlimited and i better have to care about everything as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:10:44 pm by PuLP »

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: December 22, 2012, 03:28:38 pm »

Quick question from a returning player who should know better. How do you get your engravings to show more history? I've forgotten.

Like they say 'This is an engraving of dwarf and elephant, the elephant is cowering', but I want the long ones that continue 'This recounts the slaying of the elephant stompy hooves by the dwarf urist in the shallow graves in the year 245'

Also will this change require a new world gen or re-embark?

Thankyou in advance

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: December 22, 2012, 04:35:43 pm »

In d_init.txt, set [ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:NO] . No re-gen required.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: December 22, 2012, 07:19:23 pm »

In d_init.txt, set [ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:NO] . No re-gen required.
That option's for switching between engravings with symbols and engravings with just the 'engraved' colour scheme.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: December 22, 2012, 10:48:49 pm »

Is it normal to have towns listed as neighbors? I have this embark spot where a tower and 2 towns are included as my neighbors. I think there are necromancers living in those towns, which is what I'd guess for that.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: December 23, 2012, 12:35:52 am »

I'm pretty sure that's correct.  Necromancers have taken over the towns and you can expect trouble from them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: December 23, 2012, 03:58:27 am »

Like they say 'This is an engraving of dwarf and elephant, the elephant is cowering', but I want the long ones that continue 'This recounts the slaying of the elephant stompy hooves by the dwarf urist in the shallow graves in the year 245'

Engravers engrave either things from the worlds history, or the history of your fort, or the things they like etc.
But they need to be experienced to engrave complicated scenes.
Beginner engravers will always start with engraving a piece of cheese, or a bucket or whatever.

Train them by making them smooth everything, and once they are more experienced,
order them to engrave.

You can use splinterz dwarf therapist to see which of your dwarves are more suited for engravers.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 422