Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881846 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3435 on: December 01, 2012, 01:59:01 pm »

@Zwerg, To add to Trif's msg.  I think the key depth to start accumulating water from rainfall is 2/7 or greater.  But I could be off, by +/-1.  Reservoir design, is irrelevant, as long as all edges are watertight, it will grow to 7/7 eventually, unless biome temp is hot+.

@Fluoman, yup.  Peregrine Falcons will. Cats are it tho from the start. Nothing else at embark, correct.  A good way, I've found to keep vermin out is to seperate the food stockpile.  Then guard the prepared meals with a kitty, so as to not lose any time spent in cooking.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: December 01, 2012, 05:30:13 pm »

@Zwerg, To add to Trif's msg.  I think the key depth to start accumulating water from rainfall is 2/7 or greater.  But I could be off, by +/-1.  Reservoir design, is irrelevant, as long as all edges are watertight, it will grow to 7/7 eventually, unless biome temp is hot+.

@Fluoman, yup.  Peregrine Falcons will. Cats are it tho from the start. Nothing else at embark, correct.  A good way, I've found to keep vermin out is to seperate the food stockpile.  Then guard the prepared meals with a kitty, so as to not lose any time spent in cooking.
How do fluids act on Slopes or Ramps? The wiki is not clear to me. For example: What is the best way of building a funnel that collects rain, does it matter if I use ramps?:

|_             _|              or          |     |
         |_        _|                             \    /
            |_   _|                                |  |
               | |                                   \ /

Keep in mind, rain only gets collected in murky pools. A funnel won't help.
But anyways, I don't think that fluids behave differently on ramps than on floors. Both funnels should be equally efficient if you pour water in them.

I want to collect a big amount of human blood rain in an evil biome (for the reason I don't know yet). I hope it will work.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: December 01, 2012, 05:32:44 pm »

I want to collect a big amount of human blood rain in an evil biome (for the reason I don't know yet). I hope it will work.
It won't. Right now the only working "true" fluids in the game are magma and lava, so syndrome rains just coat everything on the surface with their contaminant without actually generating any fluids.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: December 01, 2012, 06:58:30 pm »

It won't. Right now the only working "true" fluids in the game are magma and lava, so syndrome rains just coat everything on the surface with their contaminant without actually generating any fluids.

What a let down.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: December 03, 2012, 03:51:11 pm »

Can floor grates be walked on?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: December 03, 2012, 04:16:36 pm »

Yes.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: December 03, 2012, 04:18:39 pm »

Can floor grates be walked on?
Yep.  They can also be built over top of downward stairs.  Certain building destroyers will want to destroy them, and can, if they have enough time.  They can be built orthogonally over top of empty spaces and water, too.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: December 03, 2012, 04:57:40 pm »

Ok so I have a Mason Dwarf in a secretive mood!

He collected a couple of rocks, but is now stuck drawing pictures of a quarry and stacked cloth.

I know this means he needs Rock and Cloth.  As he already collected some Rock does that mean he needs some cloth?  I have some cave spider silk, but he hasn't gone for that?  Any advice please?

EDIT:
I also seem to have a problem, someone/thing keeps kidnapping babies and children, but I can not find them on the unit screen to try to fight them!  I know the game pauses when a snatcher turns up, am I right in assuming this message is for when they get away?

I've no idea how they grab a kid without being seen?  Very very confused!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:12:03 pm by MoridinUK »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: December 03, 2012, 06:12:46 pm »

If he has already collected a few rocks then there is a good chance that he needs cloth. Dwarves will want a specific type of cloth mind you, so try to have silk, plant, and wool based cloth around if at all possible.

As for snatchers, snatchers show up invisible and it will only display the message when they are discovered. The easiest way to stop this is to put a series of 1x1 pastures across your entrance with an animal in each so that any snatchers or thieves have to walk next to one in order to get inside your fortress. (Make sure not to use grazers since they will starve to death!)
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: December 03, 2012, 06:13:06 pm »

Goblin master thieves are ninjas. You can spot them on the way in with a high enough Observer skill, but that takes a long time to build up. Try and keep your child hangout areas as far from the entrance as possible, with as many high traffic areas between the entrance and the child area as possible.

Your mason may want plant cloth (comes from pig tails or rope reeds) or yarn cloth. Yarn can be difficult to get hold of at short notice, as you can't open the caverns or go scavenging for the appropriate plants. If you don't have any wool-bearing animals (sheep, llamas, alpacas), you'll have to wait for the human or dwarven caravan.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: December 03, 2012, 06:21:01 pm »

Thanks both for your help..

I had just enough wool on my two rams to get him his yarn cloth!  Thank goodness as I had no pig tails to make fibre cloth!

Ok so, how do I tell my kids where to hang out?  Zone  or burrow? and I presume they will need food near by etc?  At the moment they get snatched as they run about all over the place!  I'm enclosing part of the river, I know it isn't perfect as swimming bad guys can get in there, but it should make things harder for my enemies?

My fisherdwarfs seem to attract the children and were creatures!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: December 03, 2012, 06:52:12 pm »

Dwarves with nothing to do will generally hang out in their bedrooms or in a meeting zone. Children have the extra irritation of following their mothers around a lot, but the one child I have in the fortress doesn't do that so much, to the point where I just checked if his mother was actually still alive. You can leave any strictly-outdoors occupations to male dwarves or dwarves that have been widows for more than nine months, though this does leave babies and trailing children vulnerable when their mothers go out to haul. Children can be burrowed, although they're rather slow about going there and frequently wander out. But if the burrow is a retracting bridge over an isolated area with food and drink (and an adult dwarf who's mooded, to be a babysitter), then they only need to go there once. I once burrowed a child for swimming practice. It worked, more or less.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: December 04, 2012, 01:52:13 am »

Would dropping water through a hatch at an extreme height crush whatever is beneath it? Or would it not do any combat damage at all?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: December 04, 2012, 02:19:35 am »

Would dropping water through a hatch at an extreme height crush whatever is beneath it? Or would it not do any combat damage at all?
It wouldn't cause any harm at all IIRC. Now dropping boulders (or better yet, weapons) from a high height will crush or stab anything they land on working on the same sort of principles as a minecart shotgun, just working vertically instead of horizontally.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: December 04, 2012, 02:52:46 am »

Children can be burrowed, although they're rather slow about going there and frequently wander out. But if the burrow is a retracting bridge over an isolated area with food and drink (and an adult dwarf who's mooded, to be a babysitter), then they only need to go there once.

I always burrow children in the living/meeting/stockpile/workshop area deep within the fort, it seems if the burrow is big enough they won't wander out. I haven't had a child snatched in over 30 years with always 100 children around.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 422