Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881554 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3255 on: October 20, 2012, 01:24:05 am »

Me either, Telgrin.  That's why I'm a little hairy faced skeptic.  This clearing of the squads kill order is a new feature, when the last of them is killed.  My problem is does it apply to clearing station orders, if while stationed they decide to off and kill something, say something that is procedurally generated, and that doesn't contain a head count in the world?  If this is the case, its a problem.  That 'station' order didn't go away, it still sat there next to the squad name, yet the dwarfs themselves behaved as if they were reset, after the first FB was killed.  *scratch head*  The squad order should have been cleared.  And technically the activity/training status should have been switched to inactive, if the icon was changed... The icon changing was what caused the Civ titles to appear in the battle reports, instead of the Mil titles. 

Please tell me I'm wrong? 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: October 21, 2012, 07:44:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, but I've never seen this happen even under similar circumstances.  I've had stationed squads kill things that wandered near them without losing the station order.  One of life's little mysteries.

Now question from me: why can't I get wool to be stockpiled next to my farmer's workshop?  I have a refuse stockpile that I have next to my butcher's shop, which is where the wool is getting stockpiled.  I tried creating a new stockpile next to my farmer's workshop, set it to accept refuse, and on the refuse menu I set hair / wool.  The stuff doesn't get moved there, even if I disable it on my main refuse pile, or set the new pile to take from it.  The wool can be dumped, so I know it's not a problem of being forbidden or being accessible.

Do I have to enable something else in the refuse menu to allow the wool to be stockpiled?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: October 21, 2012, 11:23:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, but I've never seen this happen even under similar circumstances.  I've had stationed squads kill things that wandered near them without losing the station order.  One of life's little mysteries.

Now question from me: why can't I get wool to be stockpiled next to my farmer's workshop?  I have a refuse stockpile that I have next to my butcher's shop, which is where the wool is getting stockpiled.  I tried creating a new stockpile next to my farmer's workshop, set it to accept refuse, and on the refuse menu I set hair / wool.  The stuff doesn't get moved there, even if I disable it on my main refuse pile, or set the new pile to take from it.  The wool can be dumped, so I know it's not a problem of being forbidden or being accessible.

Do I have to enable something else in the refuse menu to allow the wool to be stockpiled?

Are they in bigger than 1 stack? IIRC, anything that's not in stack that's bone and wools tend to stay in refuse because they're considered refuse and technically smaller than 1 whole stack.

If not, then I dunno

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: October 22, 2012, 01:43:05 am »

That may be it.  I had a stack of wool[14], and two individual wool items in the stockpile.  I noticed the stack of 14 wool disappeared (spun into thread I guess when I issued the order earlier), but the two individual ones stayed in the stockpile.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: October 22, 2012, 12:27:19 pm »

That may be it.  I had a stack of wool[14], and two individual wool items in the stockpile.  I noticed the stack of 14 wool disappeared (spun into thread I guess when I issued the order earlier), but the two individual ones stayed in the stockpile.

Bug 4593.  Related to bug 5816 (same thing but with bones).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: October 22, 2012, 08:14:11 pm »

How do i get rid of the worlds i don't want anymore? From the world list anyway.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: October 22, 2012, 08:28:35 pm »

Delete the world folder from the save folder?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: October 22, 2012, 08:33:10 pm »

That worked thanks.

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: October 24, 2012, 05:19:28 am »

1. does material and object preferences have a cumulative effect?
In other words, if I have 2 dorfs, first likes marble and doors, second likes doors only, both have similar skills and attributes, will the first dorf make better doors out of marble?

2. waht is "'high tradition' personality" dorf? Where can I check his tradition level?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:38:17 am by goblolo »
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: October 24, 2012, 07:23:53 am »

1. does material and object preferences have a cumulative effect?
In other words, if I have 2 dorfs, first likes marble and doors, second likes doors only, both have similar skills and attributes, will the first dorf make better doors out of marble?
There was some Science on that, and the answer is yes if I recall correctly.

2. waht is "'high tradition' personality" dorf? Where can I check his tradition level?
High tradition personality dwarf is a dwarf who likes traditions. Check them with (v)-(z)-(Enter) - the preferences are the white paragraph at the bottom.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: October 24, 2012, 07:30:11 am »

More specifically, I think a dwarf who likes tradition will get a happy thought at speaking with any noble, whereas a dwarf who is put off by tradition will get an unhappy thought from doing this.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:58:52 pm by Telgin »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: October 24, 2012, 01:23:19 pm »

A low Liberalism, respects Tradition.  A high Liberalism, is put off by Tradition.  Like, Telgin said, has something to do with Noble vs non-Noble interactions.

That's about all I know about Liberalism.  I try and kill the dorfs off with Liberalism trait that is outside the normal ranges, and replace them with better traited migrants.  High Activity, we luv that one.  I think Liberalism relate to Modesty in some obscure way.

Ya can see and cross compare Traits, really easy with Dwarf Therapist.  Here is a link to Splinters version.  http://code.google.com/r/splintermind-attributes/
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: October 24, 2012, 04:56:42 pm »

Is it normal for brokers to sit out the entire damn time the caravan is here? It is so annoying he has done this twice now every time on a dwarf caravan, the only good one.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: October 24, 2012, 04:59:40 pm »

You mean he didn't ever show up to trade because of eating, drinking, sleeping and breaks?  Nope, that's not unusual.  Frustrating, I know.

If he continues to be annoying about it, you can try assigning a different dwarf with a different personality, although I can't recall what specifically affects this.  "Does the first thing that comes to mind," I think is the one you're looking for.

In an emergency, you can just toggle the depot to accept any dwarf for trading.  You won't get as good of a deal, but at least you'll still get to trade.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: October 24, 2012, 07:28:59 pm »

I always use "anyone can trade".  Really, the amount of wealth you can produce is so vastly greater than the wealth a caravan can bring that it's simply absurd.  You can easily buy out an entire caravan without breaking a sweat, once you're past the first year.  Not that you should.  A lot of the stuff they bring is junk.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 422