Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881304 times)

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3120 on: September 26, 2012, 11:39:49 am »

Hmmm *takes a closer look at the stockpile* right.  So if I can locate the correct vial I can trade it?  I have to wait for the next caravan to test, an ambush scared the current lot away.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: September 26, 2012, 12:24:33 pm »

But what's the rationale behind it?
I can't find the exact quote right now, but Toady said somewhere that they didn't want the players to embark on top of a mountain because climbing to the peak is an interesting adventurer activity, especially for new players. If I recall correctly, they didn't just want to give that away by simply showing all of it in dwarf mode.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: September 26, 2012, 01:51:20 pm »

A couple of my military dwarves have earned titles (which got rid of the nickname I gave them), but I don't have enough screen real estate to see what they are. The name is all shortened. How can I view the name? Is there a dwarven-to-english translator I can use with the dwarven name to see what the title is?

I'm having a hard time getting my craftdwarves to use teeth. They don't recognize that I have unforbidden teeth available to use. I think the problem is that they are being stored on the surface. Anyone else having similar problems?

For military training, what works best? Having the squad set to train seems pretty much useless because of all the demonstrations. Sparring happens too rarely. I'm setting up a 4x4 danger room right outside my hospital, but I'm debating the merits of having a barracks at all. It's not like it actually stores their equipment, right? I read on the wiki that there was some kindof bug regarding that.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: September 26, 2012, 02:36:32 pm »

A couple of my military dwarves have earned titles (which got rid of the nickname I gave them), but I don't have enough screen real estate to see what they are. The name is all shortened. How can I view the name? Is there a dwarven-to-english translator I can use with the dwarven name to see what the title is?

I'm having a hard time getting my craftdwarves to use teeth. They don't recognize that I have unforbidden teeth available to use. I think the problem is that they are being stored on the surface. Anyone else having similar problems?

For military training, what works best? Having the squad set to train seems pretty much useless because of all the demonstrations. Sparring happens too rarely. I'm setting up a 4x4 danger room right outside my hospital, but I'm debating the merits of having a barracks at all. It's not like it actually stores their equipment, right? I read on the wiki that there was some kindof bug regarding that.
Try looking from the dwarf's personality screen ([v]->[z]->[enter])

What kind of teeth are they? I'm pretty sure that the teeth of intelligent creatures are unusable, but I could be wrong.

Danger rooms are the fastest way, if you don't want to use one I recommend using smaller squads.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: September 26, 2012, 03:34:01 pm »

For military training, what works best?

I separate it up, into three categories, and tackle each differently. 

Ranged squads 
Individual Training, No Hauling, Many Archery Targets.

Melee squads 
Squad Training, No Hauling, Pumping, Petless Danger Rm with One Wpn Rack.

Law squads
Hauls all, but Wood, ☼Barracks near Depot, One Armor Stand @ Restraints.

☼I don't play with Vampires, so might want the Barracks near Bedrooms, if your rolling with Vampires.  Without Vampires, the Depot becomes the next highest crime area. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:38:25 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: September 26, 2012, 03:57:32 pm »

If a web-spitting organic titan is killed, can it be animated by a necromancer? If yes, will the zombie titan still spit webs?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: September 26, 2012, 08:55:14 pm »

I'm having a hard time getting my craftdwarves to use teeth. They don't recognize that I have unforbidden teeth available to use.

If they're teeth that were knocked out of someone's mouth during a fight, then they aren't usable.  Ivory/tooth crafting requires tusks (or equivalent), which are usually a butchering/slaughtering product.

Also, if you've used up most of a pile of teeth and just can't use the last one, then you've run into bug #5816.  It seems that some creatures produce non-integer numbers of teeth/bones (presumably because they have a non-integer multiplier which is applied to a base creature...).  Anyway, that last one is a partial tooth/bone/whatever and can't be used for anything.  Atom-smash it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: September 27, 2012, 01:39:43 am »

If they're teeth that were knocked out of someone's mouth during a fight, then they aren't usable

That's my problem. Thanks.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: September 27, 2012, 07:27:50 am »

Thanks for the help regarding the golden salve, was able to finally trade it.

Quick question; I'm thinking of trying to capture some magma crabs that are sitting in the volcano, is there any use for them?  Or should I not worry about trying to capture them?
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: September 27, 2012, 02:46:35 pm »

If you can train them, they'de probably be useful attack animals.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: September 27, 2012, 04:27:12 pm »

That was part of what I was hoping to find out.  I keep having difficulty wrapping my head around what's in the raws on the wiki, sometimes don't feel like I've actually understood what's there.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: September 27, 2012, 07:29:28 pm »

Where can trees grow? Need to know what hallways to floor over to avoid unwanted tree growth.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: September 27, 2012, 07:51:14 pm »

Where can trees grow? Need to know what hallways to floor over to avoid unwanted tree growth.
In soil, or muddy ground.
They only grow indoors if you've breached the caverns.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: September 27, 2012, 08:52:57 pm »

So a magma reservoir is safe, but a water reservoir needs to be tiled?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:14 pm »

So a magma reservoir is safe, but a water reservoir needs to be tiled?
Yes, although they also won't grow underwater.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 422