Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881345 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3105 on: September 20, 2012, 06:58:14 pm »

Will a cavern in embark cause a Hunter to be unable to find path?

If the cavern has been partially revealed but not fully explored, and remains open to the dwarves: yes.  Either seal it off, or reveal the rest of it so that the pathing doesn't try to go through the unknown tiles, or live with the spam.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: September 20, 2012, 09:42:40 pm »

@grey, Ugg!  Cannot seal it off, Giant Rat over there. Cannot remove Giant Rat, til Hunter updates his AI to target it.  It'll kill my hunting dog in 1v1.  AI won't update til the cave is sealed.  Do you think if I unpen the 2 kittens, that they will explore down there, and remove the fog of war?  Maybe that fog of war change will update the pathing logic. Once its determined how far and deep, the prey it is trying to locate and path to, it'll switch.

Will Hunt always choose deep prey over topside prey?  If so, I'm stuck.  I cannot live with the spam.

@Trif, TY for tip, burrow should shut up the pathing spam and give me peace of mind, until I can lock up the cave mouth.  FYI..  A burrowed citizen with ambush will not "Hunt".  Even a burrow with a refuse pile, prey, and a butcher shop, still no Hunt.  Tested with completely flat, topside, 4x4 region, divided into four "hunting camp burrows", and failed with Hunters in each burrow, as such, with respectful equipment, ammo, stockpiles. 

Unless Hunting Burrows has been fixed in 34.11, Ambush citizens in Burrows just won't hunt.  Good idea, though.  I believe they stalk, but they don't target, with an X, over wandering prey.  ;D  If I remember correctly.  I cannot find a link to the article I wrote on this test, back months ago...  Still looking, if I can find it, I'll post it. Prolly was in suggestions... Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: September 21, 2012, 12:37:52 am »

That did the trick.  I was seeing x38 pathing errors per alerts line at its height.  So I went ahead and put up a 30x30 burrow, and added the erroring hunter to it as a civilian, and immediate results.  No spam.  However..  My Raven Men left, and DF replaced them with Giant Ravens.. I just can't win.  There is no avoiding the Ravens.  *scream*  I do still have the Giant Rat.  But in addition to that, I got a Trog, from the Cave.  Well that put an end to that embark.  The Trog slapped down dwarf heads like frogger, one after the other.  Hunter, lv2 ambush, lv1 marksdwarf never even faught back, his dog did.  Nor did the lv1 Axeman, his dog did too.  Neither the hunting dog, or war dog did much.  I'm a little sad, only one hit did in the hunter, after all that.  But oh well.  Learned a crucial lesson. 

DO NOT EMBARK NEAR A CAVE WITH A HUNTER, BAD THINGS WILL ENSUE.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: September 21, 2012, 01:50:37 am »

When equipping a squad of soldiers, what will happen if I give them two weapons? I want to give the squad leader a backup weapon. Normally, I hand them a knife I got from a kobold thief, but this time I want to give the leader an iron spear and a copper spear for backup. I remember that spears get stuck in goblins really often.

Will the squad leader carry both weapons at the same time and (hopefully) use them as appropriate?
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: September 23, 2012, 01:12:23 am »

When equipping a squad of soldiers, what will happen if I give them two weapons? I want to give the squad leader a backup weapon. Normally, I hand them a knife I got from a kobold thief, but this time I want to give the leader an iron spear and a copper spear for backup. I remember that spears get stuck in goblins really often.

Will the squad leader carry both weapons at the same time and (hopefully) use them as appropriate?
Assuming neither of the weapons is a two-handed weapon and they aren't assigned a shield then yes, they should carry both weapons and randomly select their attacks from both of them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: September 23, 2012, 05:32:37 am »

Assuming neither of the weapons is a two-handed weapon and they aren't assigned a shield then yes, they should carry both weapons and randomly select their attacks from both of them.
They will use both, but prefer attacking with the weapon you assigned first, i.e. the weapon which is higher on the list.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Mr.Pylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: September 23, 2012, 01:35:52 pm »

Will any type of cat animal hunt vermin or do only house-cats do that? I ask because I got a breeding pair of cougars from the latest elven caravan and it would be pretty boss to replace my regular cats with those.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: September 23, 2012, 01:46:15 pm »

Only house cats. There are some other vermin hunters like peregrine falcons, but cats are the easiest available and thus most common choice.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: September 26, 2012, 09:43:00 am »

Searched and can't find a thing on this.  I can buy valley herbs, I can make golden salve, but I can't take it to the trade depot to sell.  Even searching for it doesn't bring it up.  Any idea why?
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: September 26, 2012, 10:54:50 am »

Any chance it's being culled by a mandate?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: September 26, 2012, 11:01:17 am »

No.  Currently the mayor doesn't want bags or boxes exported.  The previous caravan I'm fairly sure she didn't want spiked balls exported.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: September 26, 2012, 11:12:09 am »

Searched and can't find a thing on this.  I can buy valley herbs, I can make golden salve, but I can't take it to the trade depot to sell.  Even searching for it doesn't bring it up.  Any idea why?
It sounds like bug 0004914 is to blame.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

d0mbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: September 26, 2012, 11:33:32 am »

Why can't I embark in a "mountain" biome?

I am a dwarf!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: September 26, 2012, 11:36:31 am »

Why can't I embark in a "mountain" biome?

I am a dwarf!
You have to have at least one embark square of non-mountain, non-ocean terrain.

d0mbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: September 26, 2012, 11:38:42 am »

But what's the rationale behind it?
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 422