Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881418 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2415 on: June 29, 2012, 02:28:46 am »

Don't think you'll get a definite answer, but it sounds plausible. A pump first pumps the full 7/7, but after that is limited to the amount that flows back in, possibly. So a second pump to fill the tile up would mean that the rest of the stack is always pumping 7/7.

In theory, but there is a big chance I don't know what I'm talking about
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

walberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: June 29, 2012, 01:23:40 pm »

Just wondering if anyone's done the !!Science!! to figure out how the new smelting yields play with multi-output ores - does tetrahedrite now create 4 bars of copper with a 20% chance of 4 bars of silver, or a 20% chance of 1 bar of silver. If no-one's played with that, I'm sure I can figure it out later, but thought asking might be quicker...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: June 29, 2012, 01:52:53 pm »

good question, havn't heard anything about it. I'd guess it got improved alongside the main metal, but I don't actually know anything.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: June 29, 2012, 03:04:47 pm »

Question: I got several cages with dead goblins inside. What is the smartest way to empty these cages?

I have maybe 50 or more cages in my stocks, so (v)iewing them all to find the right ones to build and connect to a lever seems to be a lot of work. Is there a better way? Or shall I just leave them where they are? The cages seem to have built in refrigerators. 

edit: It seems they are put at the top when I (b)-(j) them, so perhaps it is not so much work as I thought.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:09:29 pm by vonduus »
DF: where imagination beats animation

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: June 29, 2012, 03:18:26 pm »

Here's a quick question...
I think I remember reading somewhere that if multiple pumps share an output tile, which is then the source for a pump above it, the flow up the stack will be increased. I've searched around, and haven't found any information regarding it, so I may just be a loony. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Confirm. I've done something very much like this for magma. A pump sucks up whatever is in it's input tile, but that tile will only replenish through flow. Meaning it won't have 7/7 liquid in it. Using two pumps for the input means that more liquid will be available for the rest of the pump stack to work with. But you don't need to have the pumps output to the same tile. In my case, the two input pumps pumped magma horizontally over half the map, then the pump stack brought it to the surface. After the tunnel fills, the two pumps basically teleport liquid directly to the input of the pump stack, meaning the output tile of the input pumps don't have to be anywhere near each other, or the rest of the stack.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: June 29, 2012, 03:20:57 pm »

I think you can't use the cages untill they are empty, not sure though. If your bookkeeper is set to a high level you might be able to dump(and unforbid) everything from there. Otherwise, treat it the same as disarming. Claim, dump, remove dump from cage

walberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: June 29, 2012, 04:19:58 pm »

Just wondering if anyone's done the !!Science!! to figure out how the new smelting yields play with multi-output ores - does tetrahedrite now create 4 bars of copper with a 20% chance of 4 bars of silver, or a 20% chance of 1 bar of silver. If no-one's played with that, I'm sure I can figure it out later, but thought asking might be quicker...

So it appears it may be a bit more complex than that - how the math is done to keep the yield percentages right takes a bit more study - but I can confirm that smelting tetrahedrite sometimes usually gets 4 copper, but I've also seen 1 and even 2 additional silver bars (total 6 bars per job). I haven't seen (yet) that it goes higher than that, but it might.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: June 29, 2012, 04:39:55 pm »

Could it consistently be creating partial bars?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: June 29, 2012, 05:10:52 pm »

I think you can't use the cages untill they are empty, not sure though. If your bookkeeper is set to a high level you might be able to dump(and unforbid) everything from there. Otherwise, treat it the same as disarming. Claim, dump, remove dump from cage

I can build the cages next to the refuse pile and empty them with levers, that works alright. But your method is perhaps a little easier - I still have to look into every single cage, but at least I can do it from the same screen, and I don't have to build levers. It is still a bit cumbersome, though. But I guess that is what to expect from dwarves. Anyway, the built-in fridge allows me to do it in my own time. Thanks for answering. :)
DF: where imagination beats animation

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: June 29, 2012, 08:17:33 pm »

Is there any way to force (underground) grass to grow in a specific spot? I assume that getting it muddy won't work, or will it?

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: June 29, 2012, 08:44:46 pm »

I am getting an enduring stream of job cancelations--Urist McNumbnuts has canceled Store Item in Stockpile:  Item Inaccessible.

First, I have no idea how the item got inaccessible.  Second, I have no idea what item.  I've looked through active hauling jobs, but see nothing unusual.  Any ideas on how to run this down?
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: June 29, 2012, 08:44:57 pm »

Muddying stone works, but last time I checked (.31) the tiles stays mud-coloured so you can't tell if there's moss or stone there without k-ing over each tile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: June 29, 2012, 09:17:19 pm »

Thanks!

Is there some kind of new trick to getting dwarves to equip armor now? Namely gauntlets and boots. Another thread said to have them replace their clothes, and also to assign 2 boots and 2 gloves. That works better, but not entirely. There are boots and gloves sitting there in the stock pile and dwarves are saying on the equip screen there are no boots/gloves available.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: June 29, 2012, 09:40:48 pm »

Is there any way to force (underground) grass to grow in a specific spot? I assume that getting it muddy won't work, or will it?

Moss, shrubs or trees will grow on underground muddy stone, once a cavern has been revealed.  But you can't control the timing, or which kind of plant life you get on a specific tile.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: June 29, 2012, 11:04:32 pm »

I am getting an enduring stream of job cancelations--Urist McNumbnuts has canceled Store Item in Stockpile:  Item Inaccessible.

First, I have no idea how the item got inaccessible.  Second, I have no idea what item.  I've looked through active hauling jobs, but see nothing unusual.  Any ideas on how to run this down?

It's one of the most annoying things left in DF, yes. The only solution is to find what they want to carry and forbid it, or make a path. I think though that sometimes they want to pick up stuff from the animal people in the caverns. Another possibility is that you broke pathing, which you'll probably find out about when dwarfs start going thirsty. It could also be the effect of a burrow.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 422