Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881397 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2370 on: June 24, 2012, 02:30:54 pm »

I seem to be missing something when it comes to trading away caged animals.  I'm all but positive I've done this before, but I have two cages with several animals in each that I want to give to the traders.  The cages don't show up in the menu when I go to move goods to the depot though.

The cages aren't constructed at a location (they're in my stockpile), and they aren't forbidden.  They wouldn't show up when constructed at a location either though.  Anything else I'm missing?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: June 24, 2012, 02:50:32 pm »

Maybe your herbalists keep failing to pick the rope reeds? DFHack can tell you how many of each plant is on the site.

It was indeed a herbalist fail, due to my extensive lack of luck. After using DFHack to pinpoint their location, my herbalist failed to successfully harvest any of them. TBF, the guy never had any real training, I don't rely on them for food.

perhaps the ocean biome thing meant that if you somehow manage to get a farm above the ocean it won't work?

The wiki page used to say that "Above ground crops farming is impossible in embark sites that include Ocean or Mountain biomes, even if the farm is built on mud over a soil layer, in an area of the map where trees and shrubs are currently growing wild (and thus are not technically ocean/mountain biome tiles)." This seems to indicate that farming is impossible in the whole embark if there is a single piece of ocean involved, which is not true, at least for oceans: my rope reeds matured just fine. It remains to be tested if plants can be grown directly above the ocean, but my current megaproject includes one such farm on an "oil rig" fortress, so I'll be testing that within a couple of days. I just have to complete my magma-redirecting and ocean-lifting projects first to manufacture an obsidian pillar directly above the ocean, which I'll then proceed to cave-in to have a 3x3 pillar connecting the ocean floor and my fortress.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: June 24, 2012, 03:23:41 pm »

Anything else I'm missing?

Hit select, and type the beast name the cage contains?  Not all the newer beasts are categorized correctly.  Particularly the undead caged stuff and the old Beast Mastery stuff, that starts with Hunting/War.  Select, I hope will show it for you.  I had this issue, in [34.07], dunno if bug has been resolved.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: June 24, 2012, 03:42:31 pm »

if there are multiple animal types it will list as "shared (material) cage"

there used to be troubles selling caged anythings to traders, where they would take the cage and set everything inside free instead of bringing them to the depot, basically just bringing the cage, nothing else. I didn't know it was fixed but I'd be so happy if it was! finally less MW meals and my utchers can catch up on sleep.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: June 24, 2012, 04:46:43 pm »

Actually, I forgot to mention this is in .31.25.  I'm pretty sure I've done it before, but I can't even bring the cages to the depot now.

I've tried searching with the select option using "cage", "shared" and the name of the animals inside but the cages just don't show up.  I tried removing everything but one animal from a cage and it still doesn't work.

Guess it may just be a bug that's been around for a long time?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: June 24, 2012, 05:27:54 pm »

actually, unles using a mod, the issue of animals not being brought but removed from the cage that was brought to the depot was standard. There were some workarounds that needed a dump zone or other things around the depot. My only guess is that it's been removed because it doesn't work.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: June 24, 2012, 07:06:10 pm »

The wiki page used to say that "Above ground crops farming is impossible in embark sites that include Ocean or Mountain biomes, even if the farm is built on mud over a soil layer, in an area of the map where trees and shrubs are currently growing wild (and thus are not technically ocean/mountain biome tiles)."

Which was completely false.  I'm glad it no longer says that.  (Someone else had already removed part of the false information.  I removed the rest.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: June 25, 2012, 01:08:50 am »

The wiki page used to say that "Above ground crops farming is impossible in embark sites that include Ocean or Mountain biomes, even if the farm is built on mud over a soil layer, in an area of the map where trees and shrubs are currently growing wild (and thus are not technically ocean/mountain biome tiles)."

Which was completely false.  I'm glad it no longer says that.  (Someone else had already removed part of the false information.  I removed the rest.)
Speaking of which: can marksdwarves shoot through fortification properly?

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: June 25, 2012, 01:53:59 am »

I've seen them shoot through fortifications.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: June 25, 2012, 07:17:21 am »

Creatures, including dwarves, can shoot through a fortification if they are standing next to it.

Creatures, including dwarves, who have a weapon skill of "Accomplished" or higher can shoot through a fortification even if they are not standing next to it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: June 25, 2012, 01:08:37 pm »

They've always been able to shoot through fortifications they are standing right by.

The issue I've had is that it's very difficult to convince them to stand right by a fortification in more recent versions. Back in the day you could station a squad on a square and at least the Squad's Commander would stand precisely on that square. Now everybody stands on a random square within three of their stationing point, which is almost never right by a fortification. It's to the point that I don't bother messing with a squad that's got one guy shooting because odds are the moved/stood down-and-stood-back-up squad will have zero guys in a position to shoot.

Nick

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: June 25, 2012, 01:14:38 pm »

Make it physically impossible for a dwarf to stand anywhere that's wrong.

Code: [Select]
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
F>+++++++++++++++
F+
F+  (open space)
F+
F+

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: June 25, 2012, 01:19:24 pm »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
F>+++++++++++++++
F+
F+  (open space)
F+
F+

Yup.  My archer lookouts above my trade depot use a combination of this and some walls to keep all the walkways 1-tile wide.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: June 25, 2012, 01:21:45 pm »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
F>+++++++++++++++
F+
F+  (open space)
F+
F+

I'll have to try that.

But I really hate doing it. I like having stockpiles with food/booze/bolts on the same z-level as the shooters.

Nick

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: June 25, 2012, 01:56:06 pm »

Me too. 

It upsets me a bit that a squad of marksdwarfs ordered to defend a burrow, strategically designed behind a fortification, now leave that burrow and defend it from outside the burrow.  Defend burrow acts just like station, in [34.11], unlike other versions.

I'm back to making melee soldiers only, until next version.  Still learning these hauling changes, so focus on them, I guess, we could.  Do you have track laying and hauling down pat?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 422