Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881319 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2115 on: June 09, 2012, 10:30:46 am »

That's what happens when a goblin site is conquered by dwarves or humans. Dark refers to the fortress, not it's inhabitants.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: June 09, 2012, 11:19:30 pm »

How do you disarm prisoners in cages?
That wiki guide on disarm is outdated.  You don't want to aoe dump the caged goblins, then undump the cage...  BAD!  The problem is, it'll work too well.  The goblinite will as a result poof in the dump, thanks to Toady's fix to unclutter socks.  Dumped items eventually poof.

The better method is to have a precise bookie, aoe claim the cages, and go right to stocks, weapons, shields, etc.. and put an M on them.  The haulers will take the goblinite off the caged goblin to the smelter, it won't ever poof, and you won't have to micromanage/monitor the move. 

You might still want to micromanage a whip or two, however.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: June 09, 2012, 11:57:36 pm »

How do you disarm prisoners in cages?
That wiki guide on disarm is outdated.  You don't want to aoe dump the caged goblins, then undump the cage...  BAD!  The problem is, it'll work too well.  The goblinite will as a result poof in the dump, thanks to Toady's fix to unclutter socks.  Dumped items eventually poof.

The better method is to have a precise bookie, aoe claim the cages, and go right to stocks, weapons, shields, etc.. and put an M on them.  The haulers will take the goblinite off the caged goblin to the smelter, it won't ever poof, and you won't have to micromanage/monitor the move. 

You might still want to micromanage a whip or two, however.  Sincerely, Knutor

Oh wow, is this a recent update?  I'm still on 34.07.  In the latest versions, any items in dump zones disappear o.0 ?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: June 10, 2012, 12:55:35 am »

that's new to me as well and doesn't show in the devlogs. I only had that happen if I made a dump zone over a refuse pile
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: June 10, 2012, 01:40:25 am »

That's the behavior, I'm pretty sure.  Refuse piles cause items in them to decay, but dump zones don't have any effect on it.  So dumping over a refuse pile will get rid of junk quickly, with less effort than an atomsmasher over the pile would, and more safely.  Not quite as fast though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: June 10, 2012, 02:03:18 am »

Spoiler: long storie version (click to show/hide)
Remind me, why a hatch/lever to controll where [Q] -> forbid is enough AND quicker than waiting for a dwarf to pass by the lever?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: June 10, 2012, 05:30:09 am »

Oh well, knutor has been wrong before

and what do you mean, make it quicker and more efficient, what are you? a human? More mechanisms!
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: June 10, 2012, 05:35:15 am »

You're right, Garath! Let's bring more levelers and some ale, so we can mess around for FUN :)
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: June 10, 2012, 06:31:18 am »

You are conflating dump zones and refuse piles.  Dumped items do not decay.  Clothing in refuse piles decays.

Perhaps in your fortress you have your dump zone inside a refuse stockpile.  If so... you may wish to reconsider.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: June 10, 2012, 11:51:47 am »

Here's something that's been bugging me for a while: is there a maximum duration for the syndromes from Forgotten Beast attacks?  I have a soldier who has had a mild fever for about two and a half years now I believe.  It's annoying because he's slower because of it, but is otherwise perfectly fine.  Will it ever wear off or should I let him retire while he's still alive?

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #2125 on: June 10, 2012, 01:11:59 pm »

Only if your dump zone is in a refuse pile.  It's being placed into a refuse pile that causes the item aging, not being dumped.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #2126 on: June 10, 2012, 01:12:39 pm »

Here's something that's been bugging me for a while: is there a maximum duration for the syndromes from Forgotten Beast attacks?  I have a soldier who has had a mild fever for about two and a half years now I believe.  It's annoying because he's slower because of it, but is otherwise perfectly fine.  Will it ever wear off or should I let him retire while he's still alive?
It's possible for a syndrome to be permanent.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: June 10, 2012, 01:30:12 pm »

in fact, most FB syndromes are permanent

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: June 10, 2012, 01:38:00 pm »

Interesting, I assumed that if the syndrome was non fatal it had a temporary duration.  Huh, learned something.  Most of the dust attacks I've faced did nothing or immediately killed the victims, so this is interesting.

Well, guess he'll be getting an early retirement.  He's been mauled by two FBs and survived both and now has a permanent fever.  Since he'll never be as good a soldier as a non infected and is only adequate with his axe, I suppose he'll be getting that retirement he's earned.

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: June 10, 2012, 10:40:57 pm »

What skill is being trained with "Combat training"? Is it fighting?

Edit: Also, about how many experience points are gained in each session of "combat training" or demonstrations? [Assuming the teacher has little teacher skill, and about ~6 levels in the skill being taught.]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:42:29 pm by Xheia »
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 422