Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882010 times)

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1395 on: April 21, 2012, 02:45:27 pm »

where do i storage metal bars in?

i have tons of bins but they dont put the bars inside the bins what to do?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 21, 2012, 03:09:53 pm »

stockpile with bars/block enabled, set to use bins, and dwarfs with time to store them

Do you have empty bins?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 21, 2012, 03:19:13 pm »

i have a stockpile with only metal bars enabled i have lots of free bins

i have never seen the option 'set to use bins' where is it?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 21, 2012, 03:30:49 pm »

q over the stockpile, and there is an option to set an amount of bins or barrels. If you used the default bar/block stockpile, bins should be set at max. Then there is only the question if your dwarfs can reach everything and if they're not just too busy.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: April 21, 2012, 05:50:13 pm »

Not storing bars in the stockpile, in my fortress either, come to think of it.  [34.06] Neither is my cut gems being stored, ash or bobcat soap.  Hmpf.  Strange.

I believe there was something broken, when workshop CLUTTER was fixed.  All things same as previous version, on my end.  And they hauled and stored it, back then.  *deer-in-the-headlights* 

Was this fixed in 34.07?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: April 21, 2012, 07:54:21 pm »

Dwarves store bars in bar/block stockpiles for me, in 0.34.07.  No issues here.

It works just like all the other stockpiles: first they move 1 bar to each empty space.  Then they move a bin to the northwestern space, regardless of whatever's there.  Then they realize "By Urist, there's a bin in this stockpile!" and then they fill that with bars.  Then they realize "Hey, there's no empty bin in this stockpile!" so they grab another and put it in the space immediately to the east of the first one.  Then "By Urist, there's a bin in this stockpile!" and they fill that one with bars.  Repeat until they run out of spaces, or bins, or bars.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: April 22, 2012, 01:59:25 am »

and delay if they find something more interesting to do, but yeah, I have no problems with this either, and didn't have in 34.06 either.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 22, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »

I have a customized general stockpile that I would like to expand.  Is that possible?  If not, how can I copy the settings of this stockpile to create another one just like it?

Also, I created 4 1x1 stockpiles that are set to totems only, but none of my dwarves are moving the totems from my craftdwarf workshop to these piles.  What gives?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 22, 2012, 09:31:17 pm »

I have a customized general stockpile that I would like to expand.  Is that possible?  If not, how can I copy the settings of this stockpile to create another one just like it?

Also, I created 4 1x1 stockpiles that are set to totems only, but none of my dwarves are moving the totems from my craftdwarf workshop to these piles.  What gives?

Your custom settings should still be in there unless you made more than one custom.  dfhack has "copystock".  otherwise, you'll need a macro or do it manually.  I know of no way to expand a stockpile.

Did you turn off quality/material in the stockpile?  Because you want to leave everything enabled except the item types.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Stockpile

Hope that made sense.  I'm pretty hung over.

roygbiv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: April 23, 2012, 01:21:15 am »

So I've read just about every page of this thread and most of the wiki.  However I still have a couple of questions.

Just starting out on my third fortress.  First one was a terrible unorganised mess.  Second one got butchered by a siege, I forgot to wire up the draw bridge to the lever and the goblins stomped all over my untrained army and then my civilians who decided to leave the fort and I presume collect all the garbage that the soldiers dropped.  Would that have been the case?  Can you prevent this?  I’m guessing forbid the items but if something else got dropped would I then have to forbid that too?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Would a wall over a brook/river stop a siege?  Or would they swim underneath it?

If you’ve made a well over a zone you’ve designated a pond would the dwarfs still treat it as a pond and put water in it?  Would it ever overflow?

Clothes – Is there a way to tell if there is a shortage of a particular item? 

Bedrooms – I’ve read that you don’t need to assign individual rooms after creating them but in my last fortress I had 122 dwarfs, 120 rooms and half of them stayed unoccupied, does it take a long time for them to find them?

Errr... I’m pretty sure I have more questions but that wall of text will do for now

Thanks!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 23, 2012, 01:40:17 am »

Your biggest friends for dealing with civilians during sieges are burrows. Simple make one that covers just the "safe" areas with the burro(w) menu, then go into the (m)ilitary screen, (a)lerts. Then move down to your "danger" alert and press right over and highlight the name of the burrow you just made and hit enter. Then any time you want to confine civilians to that area simply hit enter on the name of your "danger" alert and they will be confined until you turn the alert off again.

Brooks function identical to floors. If it was an actual river then it would be technically possible for a invader on an amphibious mount to go underneath, yes.

Ponds will only be filled up to the 7/7 range and will not natural overflow. Yes dwarves will still fill the area up as if it were a normal pond.

If your dwarves all start getting unhappy and you check their thoughts and find "was shamed to be naked" or something like that then you don't have enough clothes. Other then that, no.

Dwarves will automatically claim any unclaimed bedrooms that they sleep in. However if you have a dormitory or some other communal sleeping area then dwarves that sleep there will not claim bedrooms, so you might want to remove that for a while. Also note that married couples and younger children will often share rooms, meaning even if you have 122 dwarves you probably have several married couple, meaning you need less bedrooms then that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: April 23, 2012, 03:50:50 am »

Instead of watching clothing thoughts/unhappyness, just do a random check of a vew dwarfs inventory every season or so. As soon as a majority starts to wear X or xX clothing it's time to make new ones.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 23, 2012, 08:25:52 am »

Second one got butchered by a siege, I forgot to wire up the draw bridge to the lever and the goblins stomped all over my untrained army and then my civilians who decided to leave the fort and I presume collect all the garbage that the soldiers dropped.  Would that have been the case?  Can you prevent this?

Yes, that's what they'll do.  You can either mass-forbid everything on the surface, or you can force your civilians into a burrow.  i2amroy gave a pretty good description, but that's not the procedure I use for civilian burrows.  What I do is slightly simpler.  I don't create a new alert.  I just create a burrow, and define it (rectangular areas on every level that's "safe").  Then when I want civilians to be confined to it: m a Right Right Enter.  Repeat to toggle it off (release the civilians).

m a brings up the military alert screen.  This has three columns: Alerts, Squads, Burrows.  The first column has "Inactive [Civ]" in it -- it's the [Civ] part I'm interested in, meaning what I'm doing affects civilians.  I don't care about squads at the moment.  In the third column, my burrow is defined.  When I move the cursor over to that column and hit Enter, a lightgreen A appears, showing that the burrow restriction is active.  Toggling it off deactivates the burrow restriction.

I’m guessing forbid the items but if something else got dropped would I then have to forbid that too?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Once you've set up a burrow (which takes a couple minutes, since you have to mark all your Z levels), restricting civilians to it can be done in a heartbeat.  That's definitely my preferred approach.

Would a wall over a brook/river stop a siege?  Or would they swim underneath it?

Brooks have a solid surface that creatures can walk on.  Rivers don't.  If you're going to build a wall, build it around your entrance, not around far-flung terrain features.  Unless of course you simply like walls.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

If you’ve made a well over a zone you’ve designated a pond would the dwarfs still treat it as a pond and put water in it?  Would it ever overflow?

Ponds are filled whenever they're below 6/7 water.  Dwarves won't overfill them unless there's another water input that's taking place simultaneously.

Clothes – Is there a way to tell if there is a shortage of a particular item?

Disable storage of armor, footwear, headwear, handwear and legwear types in your general Finished Goods stockpile(s).  Then set up separate armor, footwear, headwear, handwear and legwear stockpiles.  When one of these stockpiles gets low, you'll know which type of clothing is in short supply.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: April 24, 2012, 12:42:29 am »

I had two Friendly Trader's plugging migrants up.  They couldn't get in, Therapist showed them in the list, but because this Friendly Trader wouldn't move off the spot, they just wouldn't keep migrating.  So I send my militia to kill the Friendly Trader.  As a result, I now have two full squads in full armor, best I have, fighting each other, a half a dozen hunting dogs dead, and 3 really nice war grizzlies all dead.  Hunters will not shoot their fellow dwarfs.  But the pet AI, will. 

No idea why my own dwarfs they turned on me, other than because I targeted a two friendlies.  Can't we kill these buggy Friendly Traders?  Man this sucks, big time!  Because those were some hardy beasts, and nice troops, that just turned on me.  Made an enemy of my trip diamond master lasher, my own militia leader, a master axemen, etc..  Just to name a few.  Oh well, I guess bugs like this, are FUN too.  *sigh*  Heads up, ya all!  Don't attack those migrant traders, that linger on the region rim.  Let the next siege goblins kill um or something.  Only problem is the minute the siege gobs do that, migrants pour in.  Because it unplugs the migrant wave, and then they kill your good migrants, aswell. 

It appears to be a no win situation.

Question:  What are the Friendly Traders purpose?  And is there a setting to turn them off, so they don't plug the migrant waves?  Thanks.

Update:  Oh man, talk about wierd code.  Dwarfs are reporting finding dwarfs they just hacked to pieces.  This fortress was once fun to play, its a mess of broken AI now.  I lost some decent troops as a result of this, bleh.  I hate to start over, just about to finish sealing up a 17 level pit in a cavern pit.  Took me 4d of wall building and whatnot.  Prolly can just re-embark, I guess.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:51:27 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 24, 2012, 12:49:25 am »

It's a known bug that they show up like that.

By attacking them you triggered a loyalty cascade: they were part of your civilization, those attacking them became enemies of your civilization, including everyone in your fort. Any dwarf that attacks the new enemies of your civ will also become an enemy of your civ and so on and so on.

This question comes up a lot, I'm surprised you didn't see it before and acted in a stupid way.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 422